Remove Advertisements

[10] Rotface

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Rotface

Postby Dantriges » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:07 pm

So I tried the bop method with AS. I tried cleansing them and the little oozes totally freaked ou, aggroed a healer or the spawn victim. After I tried a Bop, I ASed them , they went with me for a little while and then went bck into the raid. I am somehow not really persuadd with backpedaling, as that stupid thing got me

How far away do you go at maximum distance? Also if te green slime spawns on the floor, and the big ooze is taking his slow walk thru seems to be really dangerous to my dps to actually go in there.
Dantriges

Postby Shathus » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:18 pm

Kelaan wrote:
kanst wrote:I just go in a circle and use freedom if I have to run through the slime puddle

And, as your freedom wears off and you find yourself about tohit another puddle, do you just keep going through it and eat the damage+slow?

Yup, I just keep on runnin. Usually cause I just turn and run when HoF is active, I have a big lead on the ooze even if i get stuck in a 2nd slime pool. I'll just make sure sacred shield is on for some extra absorb and keep kiting. Just makes it easier than trying to do, well, anything else heh
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Gyute » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:09 pm

Yah, lots easier to just keep trucking. I kite him a little closer to the raid and only skirt the big slime pools but by no means do I ever double back. Your just asking for trouble then.

On that note, It can be easier for you to just keep your little slime with you during the kite if you get infection and call out for the next person to run to you instead of the big slime. Actually I would recommend this. easier to just get two big ones and let them merge than trying to melee the big slime to get it off of you.

You can see on the last page I have a vid of me kiting may help clear it up a little.
Gyute

Postby Rofladin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:00 am

Gah, I am absolutely baffled. Two of the suggestions recently posted are exactly what did NOT work for us. What are we doing wrong here?

We tried letting the infection run its course Tuesday night, and it seemed to work a lot better for us than cleansing right away. The add merging seemed much more under control when the diseased person ran to the OT and let their ooze pop automatically. We only got him to 34%, but our attempt was much, much smoother and more controlled than any before. Maybe this owes to the people present having experience with the fight, and not the cleansing. I don't know.

As for running straight into the big ooze to merge the two, this is what killed all of our DPS on our first attempts last week. They'd run to the big ooze and drop dead instantly.

Our other tank insisted on kiting again Tuesday, as he had "a score to settle", so I didn't get to try OTing. He did a lot better than the first couple nights. People seemed much more aware of the fight, which was good. We had one hunter who refused to stack remotely near the rest of the group, but it didn't cause a problem. I had to chide him on Vent to move the hell in before he got hit with a slime pool. My healer died right off the bat on one attempt because she didn't listen when I told her to move in and stack on the raid. She got slimed. Maybe she thought I wasn't talking to her. But, overall, much smoother than last week, even if we didn't make significant progress on his health bar.

Well, there was one big problem. And I had written quite a ranty paragraph about this just now, but deleted it because it was getting out of hand. We had two DPS below me (ME, THE TANK) on the fight. I was pulling 3060 over the course of the last attempt, with Bloodlust off the bat. So we had two DPS doing 3000, in Icecrown gear. What the hell. We're never going to kill Rotface if we're carrying two DPS. We faceroll the first wing (because it's easy), and we killed Festergut in two attempts Tuesday (the first failed because I pulled threat with just HotR and Judgement while the OT was tanking, which I suppose is my fault), but Rotface owned us several times. Hopefully tomorrow night will be the one. Anyone whose performance is subpar is going to get it brought up in Vent to see if they can improve.

Eh.

Oh, and 0 tank drops again this week.
Rofladin

Postby badgermonkey » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:20 am

Rofladin wrote:Oh, and 0 tank drops again this week.

Had nothing since the first week drop for tanks. I've begun ritualistically screaming at Marrogar for his neck. Stupid instance just drops DPS crap >.<
badgermonkey

Postby Gyute » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:52 am

Stick in there, if you go a couple pages back you will see that I was at the point you are, frustrated and a little pissed. Just keep going over the basic strat with your group and keep going. I think it took us a total of 37 wipes to get the boss down, but when we did it went really smooth.
It is totally doable.
Gyute

Postby Chicken » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:21 am

Gyute wrote:Stick in there, if you go a couple pages back you will see that I was at the point you are, frustrated and a little pissed. Just keep going over the basic strat with your group and keep going. I think it took us a total of 37 wipes to get the boss down, but when we did it went really smooth.
It is totally doable.
Yeah, Rotface is just plain a fight where practice makes perfect. It'll take a while, it'll look like you're not making any progress, but just keep practicing. Once it all clicks in people's minds you'll get it done.
Chicken

Postby Belloc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:45 am

Rofladin wrote:Gah, I am absolutely baffled. Two of the suggestions recently posted are exactly what did NOT work for us. What are we doing wrong here?

If you're not cleansing the players, you're making the fight harder on your healers. Not only does the debuff deal damage to your players, it also reduces the healing that they receive. The little adds that spawn after cleansing the debuff do less damage than the debuff itself... and it removes the healing penalty.

The reason your players were dying when running to the big ooze is because they had a DoT ticking on them and a 75% (I think) healing debuff. You simply weren't healing them enough.

It also sounds like your raid is not interested in listening to the strategy. You will not get a kill with players that don't listen to you, especially on a fight like this. If they don't start listening to you, replace them. Plague Wing is not a joke.
Belloc

Postby Splattage » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:51 am

Two things that helped us last night:
1: Cheat the boss away from the big slime - we wound up orbiting like a binary star system. It's not so much to help the OT kite ( since he can just HoF through the puddles ) but to keep the infected out of bad floods and freeing the OT up to kite from farther away which keeps him from ever getting hit.

2: OT stays almost 1 full quadrant ahead of Big Ooze at outer edge. Big Ooze 'cuts the corner' in pursuit meaning it's alot closer to middle than OT. Infected people drop little ooze well ahead of Big Ooze then time their running away so the little ooze gets gobbled instead of chasing them. The key here is to keep the infected people well outside the relatively large attack area of the big ooze. even clothies can take a few hits from the little ooze, but only tanks can take a hit from the big ooze. Drop the little ooze in the path of the Big, root it if you have that ability handy and get the squishy out of the area.

In conclusion, anything you can do to reduce the RNG on this fight really seems to help. Bad floods combined with spray in the direction of the infected person led to wipes even when we were doing everything 'right'.

We believe it will be possible to have a hunter Kite-Tank the big ooze, but were unable to make the kill in that manner. Our hunter had >3K DPS on boss while kite tanking, but was not able to withstand the flood+spray damage RNG when it combined to wipe him three attempts in a row. But 3k more dps on the boss is a serious improvement if we can keep that hunter alive.

Edit:
Belloc wrote:Plague Wing is not a joke.

True That! /happydance
Last edited by Splattage on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Splattage : My job is simple : Take every boss hit : Don't Die : the rest is up to you
Splattage

Postby Gyute » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:54 am

Close, Mutated infection has a 50% healing reduction.

And yes, clearing the debuff early helps. The infected member needs to be moving quick to get the slime away from the raid and picked up by the big ooze as fast as possible.

The more you stress dps the better. Any time you run over 4 min it is going to be really difficult to handle the ooze so press for a kill in < 4min.
Gyute

Postby bzzt » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:35 pm

So we tried the resto druid kiting with a disc priest as the other healer last night with one of our alt groups (last week most of these chars got stuck at rot with a 4 minute 15% attempt being our best). 2 shot it this week with a kill time of just over 3 minutes (the druid had been our OT for most of the run and had a dual resto spec. We swapped the resto shaman to enhance, so we picked up even more dps due to the add'l buffs).

First time the druid got 1 shot by the ooze b/c he stopped to try and get a few cast time spells off, but just spamming hots after that he did about 3k hps which was enough to manage most of the raid damage with some help from bubbles and pom. The tank damage and infection dispelling was pretty easily handled by the other healer. One important component there is making sure that folks aren't eating more than a couple ticks of spew, b/c there aren't a lot of spare gcds available to keep them up.

The two high stress points of the fight for us were when the druid is in slime and gets spewed (it happened twice on our kill). Luckily, while spew is going off the tank isn't taking attacks so the other healer can afford to spam the druid through it at little risk. The other was when the tank healer gets infection. I'd suggest doling out tank cooldowns for those and communication to the druid to be particularly mindful of his hots on the tank at that point.

Edit: Also got to try with a demo lock kiting the oozes on sunday in 10 man. It took a few attempts b/c most of the rest of the raid hadn't done the fight, but killed on the 4th shot (with me doing ~2200 boss dps along with CoE and demonic pact as the lock between dots, pet and brief nuke periods while we were waiting for a new big ooze). I used RoF for initial aggro on the big oozes, followed up by dots and really had no trouble holding his attention from there. Soul-link made most of the incidental damage manageable (at least, I never died to slime or spew). Only interesting part was when a 2nd large ooze was spawned (couldn't stop to channel, and dots don't pull much for snap threat. Throw in that the 2 large oozes were in fairly different locations and it probably would've been better to have the hunter or something pick up the 2nd, b/c it clipped the raid pretty good once I did get it (enough folks reacted quickly enough to the information to get out of the way that we survived for the kill though).
bzzt

Postby Threatco » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:36 pm

My group got our kill last night. My overnight has me raiding weekends with alts. Our 2 other 10 mans have putricide down.

We one shot our way up to festergut. 3 shot him with many new to the fight.

Rotface took us about 3 hours. Moral got very low, but progress was apparent. But once we got it, it felt consistant, more like bad RNG then bad skill was killing us towards the end.

Body and Soul from me as a holy priest was loved by everyone for helping them drop off their ooze and get back in half the time.

Our difficulty was DK holding aggro on big ooze. Healer output. And people being aware of which direction to run with the ooze or during explosion.

Our kill took 4:20
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Masnart » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:30 am

Might be a little late, but we tried this this weekend, and I was the Adds OT of course, with my druid friend MTing. The adds were kinda hectic, but it really wasnt all that bad for ME as the tank. Just dps are so used to not having a big responsibility in their role, that if the messed up on something, it could cause a wipe. So that was the most of it, was I was upset that they couldnt follow an instruction, even with me telling them what to do on vent. :( I run with about 7 (including me) regulars, adn we pug the other 3. :(
Masnart

Postby Rofladin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:27 am

Well, we were a little late to the party on our kill, and I'm REALLY late to the party on posting about it, but hopefully it will give someone some insight.

We killed this guy on 10 Tuesday night, with me ooze tanking and the other paladin boss tanking. It was only my second attempt at OTing the fight, and I have to say, after a couple attempts it was extremely easy, and even relaxing. You fall into a real rhythm with cleansing the debuff and picking up the ooze. Players were much, much better about getting to me, and the entire thing was almost perfectly smooth. Debuff comes up, mouseover cleanse, they run their slime baby over and it merges. No one died to stupid stuff; no one ran around in circles. The big ooze moves so slowly that it's easy to bring it in too close to the raid, but kiting about midway between the outer ring and the wall (and having the raid STACK THE HELL UP) made that trivial.

I encourage anyone who hasn't yet to try OTing this fight, because it's really fun. It's a lot more fun than 96969ing Rotface for four minutes.

As far as raid positioning, we stacked group one on his left leg, and group two on his right. This worked much, much better than having everyone stack up directly behind him, and trivialized the slime puke. For slimes, I'd start out at at the door, which made it simple for the first two victims to find me. After that, I kited the ooze clockwise around the room. It moves very slowly, so it's not necessary to run like mad -- walking backwards and strafing work perfectly. When the OT is not zigging and zagging around the room all hectic-like, it's a lot easier for players to get out there and merge their oozes.

So, in short, he's dead, and thanks to everybody here for their help. I'm looking forward to killing him again tomorrow night.
Rofladin

Postby Shathus » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:18 pm

I forget if this had been mentioned in the thread or not. On our first kill (any many other wipe attempts) I had been waiting to cleanse until the player got close to/in front of the ooze to make the merging quick and easier. However, on the last kill I started cleansing immediately which I guess just lightens the healing load because of the debuff the disease has on the person.

If that's already been the established way to do it, please ignore me, but if not, give that a go, might help your healers out enough to finish him off.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel