Is avenging wrath okay to use while tanking?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Is avenging wrath okay to use while tanking?

Postby Elsie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:57 pm

theckhd wrote:
Awyndel wrote:Let's just say it's a reminder from the "more dps is never wrong" days

If more DPS is wrong, I don't want to be right.

"...what do you mean Berserking is not a viable tanking enchant?"

I keep a dps weapon with berserking on it for casters / heroics / a lot of old content / pvp. Don't hate me please; I liking big numbers.
Elsie

Postby blakk » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:21 pm

han_han wrote:I like to time my Avenging Wrath with heroism, they work nicely together.

Sometimes this isn't possible though because the "Heroism/Bloodlust" phase also has high tank damage and you will want your cooldowns during that time. When there isn't a high tank damage phase that your group uses Heroism on Avenging Wrath gives the best bang during that phase but in many cases you won't want to risk it so many people do AW on the pull in preperation for that phase and to let the dps open up sooner and have less risk of enrage timers.
blakk

Postby Awyndel » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:46 pm

Using stuff on the cd is usually more damage then saving it for bl anyway. Unless you need that extra push on that exact time I wouldn't do it.
Awyndel

Postby PsiVen » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:25 pm

blakk wrote:
han_han wrote:I like to time my Avenging Wrath with heroism, they work nicely together.

Sometimes this isn't possible though because the "Heroism/Bloodlust" phase also has high tank damage and you will want your cooldowns during that time. When there isn't a high tank damage phase that your group uses Heroism on Avenging Wrath gives the best bang during that phase but in many cases you won't want to risk it so many people do AW on the pull in preperation for that phase and to let the dps open up sooner and have less risk of enrage timers.

While this is true sometimes, most of the time you should be blowing Heroism right after the pull which lines up nicely for AW. On fights like Twins where you often want to save it for later, I open with AW after the first few attacks. I try to time it the same regardless of whether I actually reached 5 stacks, so that I'm not compounding the delay of a missed swing.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Elsie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:57 am

PsiVen wrote:
blakk wrote:

While this is true sometimes, most of the time you should be blowing Heroism right after the pull which lines up nicely for AW. On fights like Twins where you often want to save it for later, I open with AW after the first few attacks. I try to time it the same regardless of whether I actually reached 5 stacks, so that I'm not compounding the delay of a missed swing.

Either way, the shared CD is 30 seconds and heroism lasts 40. That's at least 10 seconds of overlap. If you're chaining CDs you could always wings first and DP second (assuming you have 30 seconds of CDs).
Elsie

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations