How many tankadins is too many?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Suba » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:26 pm

We ran all of SSC and TK with with 2 Prot Pallys, 2 Feral Druids, and 1 Prot Warrior. Killed Vashj our first time without a warrior of any kind in the raid, started on Kael this week. I think it just depends on the players.
Suba

Postby fafhrd » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:40 pm

sorry for the late reply, been a busy week.

having weighed the question carefully, i think i can safely answer that four a night is too many.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby bubleherth » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:49 am

hmm lemme think there me only prot pally in the guild 1 feral and 2 prot warriors that are full time setups we have 2 other prot warriors and another feral coming up

i agree 1 prot pally is sufficent
bubleherth

Postby Lakirby » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:14 am

2 active prot pallys
1 active feral druid
3-4 active prot warriors, and 2 DPS warriors that sometimes spec prot if needed.

Tank chat gets crowded :)
<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
Retiring 11/07/08 - Tanking to the bitter end.
Lakirby

Postby fruit » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:24 am

I'm the only full time prot pally in our guild, we have a second respec for morogrim for easy mode add tankage, we have cleared ssc and are working on Kael and so far i cant see any reason to take more than one into 25mans other than if you are having a hard time with moros adds with only one. As for in a guild, 2-3 can't hurt if depending on guild size and how active they are.

Other than me we have 3 full time warrior tanks, one who is alot less active these days, and a feral druid.
fruit

Postby Arthran » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:23 am

were re-balancing our guild at the moment to have 2 of each tanking class. then ofc for the raid just have "tank" signups and take a mix.

Plan is for BT/MH to take 1 of each tank class per raid and then utalise the hybrid abilities!
Arthran

Postby ehly » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:32 am

I know semi-offtopic

Sharow wrote:
ehly wrote:We actually have a guild ret, toss on his tanking gear for Morogrim to help gather murlocs. So a second would be nice for that fight, as the randomness on the watery grave sucks :(

I know this isn't the place for it but the randomness that is watery grave can be circumvented by raid positioning making this the most predictable, routing fight in the instance.

Btw thanks :D I've been trying to get them to do it a different way. And you reminded me of the better way. A few video links later the raid leader like we'll try that. Worked like a charm.

Our ret was much happier too now he can actually dps. So that leaves us with one full time prot pally and one full time ret pally (no pretend prot pallies now for that fight)
ehly

Postby elson » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:03 am

We had three prot paladins active in the guild for a short time. One of them went holy because we just had too many tanks and thankfully he liked us enough to heal, and the other ends up sitting out a lot due to lower attendance/gear. The one who went holy is still collecting tank gear as able though, and I am hoping he gets a chance to do more tanking for us in the future because A) he's pretty good and B) I'm gonna want a break at some point.

In a lot of situations the tank classes are interchangeable, but if your guild tends to go in head first with your traditional warrior tank and keeps a prot pally around mostly for adds/off tanking then I don't see much need for multiple prot paladins in a guild if you have one who has consistently high attendance. Otherwise it's good to have one to fill in :)
Zeal without wisdom is folly

My armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ll&n=Elson
elson

Postby Aurica » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:27 pm

IMO, anything more than 1 tankadin is excessive.

There really is a limitation of what we can bring to a raid aside from tanking fast hitting bosses and multiple mobs.

I feel that prot warriors are in the same situation as well. Aside from single tanking a boss that hits hard, tossing the TC/Sunder/Demo shout, they don't really have any other use that other warriors in arms/fury can't do.

OTOH having a bunch of feral druids doesn't hurt as bad because of the combat ress/innervates and the buffs they give in a group.
Aurica

Postby Uthadanin » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:47 pm

Our guild just picked up a second prot pally... not to sure how that makes me feel b/c I was given the main prot spot under the condition that I got to 70. Right now I am a 55, the newly acquired prot pally is at 61...

I think 2 in a guild is a good number (of course depending on attendance etc...)

Lets just say I am racing to 70, should be caught up to the new guy in a week or so.
Uthadanin

Postby Tiandelin » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:38 am

These days, my guild has exactly one of each type of tank (prot/feral), plus a couple dps warriors (formerly prot). We don't have a very demanding raiding schedule, so the three of us can make almost every raid. If one of us can't come, though, one of the dps wars can respec to take his/her place. In fact, if we need more tanks, the other warriors can usually handle their assignments well enough with just 3/3 TM.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby ShaneFalco » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:30 am

My guild has 3 Protection Warriors, 3 Bear Druids and 5 Protection Paladins.

We're a large guild, though. We usually have 3 Kara group and 2 ZA groups running, so everyone can find something to do.
Shanefalco - 70 Human Paladin - Dragonmaw US
ShaneFalco

Postby Mackkie » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:01 am

In the 25 mans so far we usually have one tankadin, the rest are a nice mixture between druids and warriors and so far we have 2 nighted every boss in ssc and the eye other than kael and Vashj which atttempts start on this week. We are a holy pally heavy guild having some runs where there are no other healers than the holy pallys that are very well geared already. I do believe though that one prot pally in the group for a 25 man is more than enough though because any more and the setup is either missing a dps or a healer gimping the group in one way or another.
Mackkie

Postby QuantumDelta » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:05 am

Ideal standardised layout *guild wide:
Druid: 2 Feral 2 Resto 1 Balance.
Hunter: 1 BM 1 MM 1 Survi.
Mage: 3 Respec monkeys!
Paladin: 2 Ret 2 Prot 2 Holy.
Priests: 4 Shadow 2 Holy 1 Disc/Holy.
Rogue: 3 Combat swords.
Shaman: 2-3 Resto 1 Enh 1 Ele.
Warlock: 1 Affli 2 Destro.
Warrior: 2 Prot 2 Fury 1 Arms (Bloodfrenzy,basically a debuff/buff spec for the rest of the DPS, it's not full Arms spec).

Standard raid layout neutral encounter 4 Tanks 7 Healers 14 DPS.
2 Feral Druids, 1 Prot War, 1 Prot Paladin.
1 Holy Priest, 1 Disc Priest, 1 Holy Paladin, 1 Resto Druid, 2 Resto Shaman, One "Free healer" spot.
Lots of things you can do with DPS depending on the fight(s), though we've been having fun with a slightly less caster focused raid recently:
2 Hunters, 2 Warriors, 2 Rogues, 1 Ret, 1 Enh, 2 Locks, 2 Mages, 2 Spriests.
Works well.

And yea I was bored.
Generally speaking though: 1 Prot Pally 1 Prot War, 2 Ferals is ideal though.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Agravaine » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:11 am

I'm the only prot paladin we have, considering that I'm one of the highest playtime people we probably wouldn't need a second.

Our tank roster is:

3 Prot Warriors
2 Feral Druids
1 Prot Paladin

Normal raid we go with 4 tanks -- 2x Prot Warriors; 1x Feral Druid; 1x Prot Paladin

If we are short on raiders, a Druid goes dps or sometimes volunteers for a guild financed respec to heal.
Agravaine

PreviousNext

Return to General