Missed the wotlk patches - how do I fight now?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Missed the wotlk patches - how do I fight now?

Postby econ21 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:17 am

I guit WoW a year ago, at level 78 before any wotlk patches. Thanks to the stickies, I feel up to speed on specs and gear but would like a little advice on the mechanics of fighting.

Firstly, on pulling: I gather we now have a new taunt/ranged attack "Hand of reckoning" and that exorcism works on everything, not just undead/demons. When should we use these spells?

I understand there are restrictions on mobs who can be targeted with hand of reckoning - so is it a pulling tool rather than something to regain aggro? Should we ever use it rather than avengers shield or is just a pulling tool put in for lower levels before they had the shield?

Should exorcism be part of a rotation vs undead/demons or is the 1.5s cast time prohibitive? Should it replace the shield vs solo undead/demons? (I recall I did that, I guess for the lower mana cost or something.)

Secondly, on AoE fights, I am confused as to what seal to use: vengance, righteousnous or command? I gather SoV is our default, but when fighting groups of say 3-4 trash in a dungeon, is it still better? I've read recommendations for SoR vs heroic trash and for SoC in some AoE situations. Can someone spell out the arguments and make a recommendation?

Thanks for any advice and apologies if this is all covered elsewhere - I've been reading like crazy to catch up.
econ21

Re: Missed the wotlk patches - how do I fight now?

Postby magnuskn » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:06 am

Exorcism can be used on single pulls, although many prefer Hand of Reckoning or, of course, Avengers Shieled, because Exorcism has always a casting time for Protection.

Hand of Reckoning is fine for pulling when your Avengers Shield is on CD, however be careful when pulling multiple mobs with it, put down a Consecration or prepare the Hammer of the Righteous to grab aggro on the rest of them, before your healer or DPS does.

The restriction on Hand of Reckoning now only apply to human players, against whom it doesn't do anything. Hand of Reckoning now will always do damage on mobs, unless they are also immune to taunting ( like the Faction Champions in TotGC. ). It is great for pulling at all levels and it is immensely useful for taunting mobs of overzealous DPS, since it works at 30 yards range.

Exorcisms cast time is prohibitive, since it is the only spell in our rotation which is not instant. It is simply not used anymore by most Prot Paladins.

Seal of Vengeance is good in any situation. Command *could* be useful, but as soon as you have Hammer of the Righteous available, it will proc Vengeance on any target hit and stack it up on them, so IMO Vengeance is the way to go. Also, you have limited places for Glyphs and the one for Seal of Vengeance is really, really good.
magnuskn

Postby Zobel » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:41 am

Theck's laid out the numbers on seal of command elsewhere. The rule of thumb is to always use seal of command when tanking more than two mobs or when tanking stuff that dies very quickly.

The reasons are :
  • Seal of vengeance/corruption does higher sustained threat once it reaches five stacks, but it takes some time to ramp up and it's hard to keep the stacks up on groups of mobs. If you're fighting trash (especially in heroics) then stuff tends to die too fast to get enough stacks for long enough.
  • Seal of command does lower sustained threat on one target but doesn't take any time to ramp up and it cleaves two nearby mobs. With the latest patch, you're proccing lots of cleaves.

Don't use seal of righteousness in heroics -- it always generates less threat than seal of command or seal of vengeance/corruption. Only use it in situations where you want to avoid dots or cleaves, which in heroics is never.
Zobel

Postby bldavis » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:31 am

econ21 wrote: I guit WoW a year ago, at level 78 before any wotlk patches. Thanks to the stickies, I feel up to speed on specs and gear but would like a little advice on the mechanics of fighting.

Firstly, on pulling: I gather we now have a new taunt/ranged attack "Hand of reckoning" and that exorcism works on everything, not just undead/demons. When should we use these spells? I understand there are restrictions on mobs who can be targeted with hand of reckoning - so is it a pulling tool rather than something to regain aggro? Should we ever use it rather than avengers shield or is just a pulling tool put in for lower levels before they had the shield?

I use HoReck on almost all solo pulls, and anytime i loose aggro and need to tuant back.
On bosses, i will HoReck and AS as i run in to beat on them, gives you really nice pad of threat to start

econ21 wrote:Should exorcism be part of a rotation vs undead/demons or is the 1.5s cast time prohibitive? Should it replace the shield vs solo undead/demons? (I recall I did that, I guess for the lower mana cost or something.)

Exorcism should never be used as a prot pally imo(possibly except a demon/undead static boss for the pull only due to Auto-Crit) it is always a 1.5 sec cast, and you have a instant cast tuant that deals damage when the mob is not attacking you already

econ21 wrote:Secondly, on AoE fights, I am confused as to what seal to use: vengance, righteousnous or command? I gather SoV is our default, but when fighting groups of say 3-4 trash in a dungeon, is it still better? I've read recommendations for SoR vs heroic trash and for SoC in some AoE situations. Can someone spell out the arguments and make a recommendation?

I dont eve use SoR anymore, i just stick with SoV thecks post is already linked, just read that, i really cant add anything more

econ21 wrote:Thanks for any advice and apologies if this is all covered elsewhere - I've been reading like crazy to catch up.

Glad we can help, and Welcome back to the Fight My Brother! (or Sister!)
Last edited by bldavis on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby amh » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:37 pm

Exorcism was actually instant cast in T7, and as far back as I can remember in TBC. It got a cast-time when they figured ret would need a dps-boost in Ulduar (non-undead), after some messy pvp-related issues.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby onacouch » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:10 am

Keeping Divine Plea up can take some getting used to, as does learning how to deal with situations where divine plea is down and you need to stretch your mana.
onacouch

Postby bldavis » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:46 am

amh wrote:Exorcism was actually instant cast in T7, and as far back as I can remember in TBC. It got a cast-time when they figured ret would need a dps-boost in Ulduar (non-undead), after some messy pvp-related issues.

i know it WAS insta cast (i leveled during that time) i was saying it is NOW always 1.5 sec cast time for prot, however for ret, when Art of War http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=53486 procs, it gives you a instant FoL/Exor

and i remember my joy when exorcism was useable on everything in stead of just on undead/demons made leveling a lot easier!

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Return to Basic Training & Talents