Remove Advertisements

Sacred shield

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Sacred shield

Postby Gyute » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:57 am

Hay guys, I am sure there is a thread on this already but cant find anything too recent so thought I would bring it up again and start another conversation.

I keep SS up on myself all the time, every minute I take the time out of my rotation to reapply sacred shield. I even go as far as telling our raiding pally healer to SS someone else because I always keep it up.

Some quick and dirty math shows me over the course of a 5 min fight my own SS will absorb about 30,000 damage.
Code: Select all
(5 * 60) / 7 = 42
(600 damage * .2 modifier w/talent) + 600 = 720
720 * 42 = 30,240

To me this is a lot of mitigation that is gained by pressing a button once a min, my only question is, does the application of my SS on myself still count if a holly pally is healing me and his ability to crit flash of light?

If it does not, then I am not sure if telling our holly pally to SS someone else is worth it on boss fights... I am sure that the holy pally will heal me for much more than 30k in crits over the course of a 5 min fight if he is applying SS to me instead of me applying myself.

Now when our holy pally does not come, I see no reason why not to take the time to apply SS.
Gyute

Re: Sacred shield

Postby nastaran » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Yes it applies. When I heal sometimes i have 3 FoL hot's rolling if all the pallys are actually using SS. I too always keep up SS when tanking and get mad when other prots don't.
One thing though, the holy pally SS will absorb more than a prot one (even untalented) so I usually let the holy pally SS me and I will either SS him or an OT.
nastaran

Postby Gyute » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:40 pm

I was unaware of any modifier other than the Divine Guardian (prot tree) modifier to SS that holy gets. Where is this modifier?

It is great to know that the crit chance for my holy pally still counts when I apply myself tho.
Gyute

Postby Zobel » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:44 pm

Gyute wrote:I was unaware of any modifier other than the Divine Guardian (prot tree) modifier to SS that holy gets. Where is this modifier?

It is great to know that the crit chance for my holy pally still counts when I apply myself tho.

No extra modifier. It's just that sacred shield scales with the caster's spellpower, and the bonus to flash of light is baked in:
Sacred Shield Rank 1
12% of base mana 40 yd range
Instant cast
Each time the target takes damage they gain a Sacred Shield, absorbing 500 damage and increasing the paladin's chance to critically hit with Flash of Light by 50% for up to 6 sec. They cannot gain this effect more than once every 6 sec. Lasts 30 sec. This spell cannot be on more than one target at any one time.
Zobel

Postby Gyute » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:05 pm

Right, just didn't realize it scales with spell power. I assumed it was a flat 500dmg 8)

Any info on what the ratio is?
Gyute

Postby Alixander » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:27 pm

nastaran wrote:...I will either SS him or an OT.
If you raid with an Arcane Mage, check their talent specs. There is a talent which gives them a decent boost on spell damage when they have a shield on them and it absorbs damage (or something similar to this... at work, can't see talent builder sites). If you have a Mage with this talent and a Holy Paladin is in the raid, drop SS on them (unless it's a fight that has zero AOE/random damage like Patchwerk) and that will give them a steady, strong DPS increase. :mrgreen:
Alixander

Postby Shathus » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:59 pm

Alixander wrote:
If you raid with an Arcane Mage, check their talent specs. There is a talent which gives them a decent boost on spell damage when they have a shield on them and it absorbs damage (or something similar to this... at work, can't see talent builder sites). If you have a Mage with this talent and a Holy Paladin is in the raid, drop SS on them (unless it's a fight that has zero AOE/random damage like Patchwerk) and that will give them a steady, strong DPS increase. :mrgreen:

Looks like Incanter's Absorption I'm guessing? Our Arcane Mage uses this to 'cheat' on Twins when he absorbs an orb and makes the rest of our DPS jealous.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby kysu » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:03 pm

kysu

Postby Gyute » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:49 pm

That's great, so in fact, without a holy pally in your raid if you keep SS up on yourself.

using my unbuffed SP
Code: Select all
(5 * 60) / 7 = 42
(600 damage * .2 modifier w/talent) + 600 = 720
(919 * .75) + 720 = 1409
1409 * 42 = 59,187

That's 59,187 of possible mitigated damage over the course of a 5 min fight!
That is assuming you are taking a hit every 7 sec when SS is on cooldown.
Gyute

Postby Flex » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:17 pm

From what I remember from official Blue explanation about Sacred Shield and Flash of Light it is 1) Flash of Light HoT works with any paladin's Sacred Shield and 2) your Flash of Light crit chance only works with the shield from your own Sacred Shield.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Iselian » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:11 pm

My understanding of the mechanics of Sacred Shield are thus:

1) Flash of Light's HoT will apply to anyone with a Sacred Shield buff, regardless of the buff caster and the Flash caster.

2) When Sacred Shield is triggered, the buff-caster's FoL crit is upped.

3) A Holy Paladin's Sacred Shield will always be stronger than a Prot's, but yours -can- override theirs.

In raids I will generally not have one healadin per tank. If we have 2 in our 25man, I will tell them that I am sacred-shielding myself and for them to decide on the other two. In the 10's, they get the other tank and I get me.

I'm not sure about how often it can proc, how long, and so on. I do know it's a form of mitigation and thus helps you live longer, at a small cost of threat and damage once a minute.
Iselian

Postby Alixander » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:19 pm

Iselian wrote:1) Flash of Light's HoT will apply to anyone with a Sacred Shield buff, regardless of the buff caster and the Flash caster.
This was changed in 3.3, to reduce the survivability of Ret Paladin in PvP since they could instant-self-FoL themselves for crazy healing if the shield was up (Crit FoL for a ret Paladin with the right talents = HoT + HoT from SS = stupid hard to kill). The HoT aspect was rolled into a commonly taken talent in the Holy tree, deep enough to not be gotten by anyone but a Holy Paladin.

Iselian wrote:I'm not sure about how often it can proc, how long, and so on. I do know it's a form of mitigation and thus helps you live longer, at a small cost of threat and damage once a minute.
Can proc ever 6 seconds. IIRC it's duration is 10 seconds.
Alixander

Postby nastaran » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:59 pm

Alixander wrote:

Haha yea i know. my main is actually a mage this pally is my alt. I am not arcane atm though :p
nastaran

Postby Flex » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:48 am

Alixander wrote:This was changed in 3.3, to reduce the survivability of Ret Paladin in PvP since they could instant-self-FoL themselves for crazy healing if the shield was up (Crit FoL for a ret Paladin with the right talents = HoT + HoT from SS = stupid hard to kill). The HoT aspect was rolled into a commonly taken talent in the Holy tree, deep enough to not be gotten by anyone but a Holy Paladin.

Partially right. The HoT interaction was moved to a talent but the HoT will still happen with any paladin's Sacred Shield not just your own.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations