[10] Rotface

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Rotface

Postby Shathus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:56 am

We ran into a bunch of issues on this fight which I believe to just be execution problems, mostly around the oozes and getting them kited. The first issue was people who got the Mutated Injection seeming to run around like chickens with their heads cut off sometimes. They would run to me (OT) and get cleansed, then proceed to run around the room and away from the second ooze that appeared, eventually it would cause the Big Ooze to appear in t he middle of t he raid on top of the boss and cause issues.

The second problem was more my own issue. I would be kiting fine around the outside, until I would get trapped by a slime pool that would drop right in front of where I was going. I would try to turn back around but often would get too close to the Ooze and he would jack me up (quick 13k melee hits).

Clearly this second issue is something I need to handle better, is it just being more aware of where the slime is going to be dropping next, or if I do get trapped, is it just better to HoF and run through the slime puddles to the other side and keep kiting?

Our DPS was taking him down well, we just couldn't get the damn Oozes under control reliably. When creating the Big Oozes on the first 2 debuffs, what do you have the people do both just stay in a corner and run around in circle or do they kite around the room together (with me following) until the big add forms?

Thanks.

Saw Wrathy's post in the 25 man about using Judgement of Justice too, will have to try that next, I always forget about that one.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Re: [10] Rotface

Postby Frew » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:09 am

We got him to 30% but our kiting tank kept getting trapped in the ooze flood and then would get a few melee hits by the big ooze and die.

Our strat:

Everybody dps to start. Melee and ranged need to be cautious at all times about where his frontal cone slime is being cast, and move from it. We had everybody stack on each other to avoid extra AOE damage from the small/big ooze walking past ranged.

First person with the debuff must move to the outside ring and be cleansed. Once that happens, they must kit along with the offtank. The offtank could not aggro the mob, so while there are small oozes up, the need to be kited by the person that had the debuff. We kited in a clockwise direction, trying to be on the opposite side of the large slime "flood."

Once the second debuff hits, that person must run IN FRONT of the slime being kited and be cleansed. We found that if the slime is in front, they merge right away and the two raid members can go back to healing or dpsing. This creates a big ooze that must be taunted and aggro must be held over the casters by the offtank.

Each person with the debuff must follow this same pattern, and drop the ooze in front of the big ooze. If you fall behind or drop it somewhere else you lose the extra dps, healing and the oozes start to get out of control. We also found that dropping in front almost *made* the oozes merge.

When the debuff gets up to 5, we just all move a bit from the center (typically opposite from the ooze flood) and wait for the slime explosions to land.

Our biggest issue was getting everybody to be aware of where they needed to be. Our next goal is to get a fail safe way to kite the ooze without getting stuck in the ooze flood.

Any ideas on that fail safe kiting? Do you guys stay behind the ooze or in front?

Frew
Image Image
Frew
Maintankadonor

Postby Wrathy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:08 am

Shathus wrote:We ran into a bunch of issues on this fight which I believe to just be execution problems, mostly around the oozes and getting them kited. The first issue was people who got the Mutated Injection seeming to run around like chickens with their heads cut off sometimes. They would run to me (OT) and get cleansed, then proceed to run around the room and away from the second ooze that appeared, eventually it would cause the Big Ooze to appear in t he middle of t he raid on top of the boss and cause issues.

A few things to help you out on this. First off, our guild found the 10 man much harder than the 25. We two shot the 25 man version, but I wiped about 6 or 7 times on the 10 man version because of, what I feel is, a tighter execution requirement. Regarding the kiting and the coagulation of the slimes. I marked myself with circle and when ever anyone would get it, they would look for the circle and run to it. This should alleviate some of the issues of them running around.

In order to help with the problem of your melee running around after they were cleansed, I posted this in the 25 man thread, but its as applicable here as well. If you have a mage in the raid, when the first person gets the infection, have the mage come out with them and when you cleanse it off, frost nova the small slime in place. It should last long enough that the second infected person can get out and get cleansed for an instant and easy big slime.

Shathus wrote:The second problem was more my own issue. I would be kiting fine around the outside, until I would get trapped by a slime pool that would drop right in front of where I was going. I would try to turn back around but often would get too close to the Ooze and he would jack me up (quick 13k melee hits).

I had this issue in 10 mans a few times, and part of it was just random dumb luck. I was getting ooze floods that were just really bad luck, i would position myself right at the edge of one and start kiting, and the one i was running towards would always break. After a while, I realized that it is better to just run through it and get healed, than to bring the aura into range of the raid. I used bubble wall and just ran through it, never getting below 70% hp. I prefer running through it and keeping the add under control.

It is also important to note that once an ooze flood has happened in a particular corner of the room, it will not happen there again until all four corners are broken. Because of this you want to kite it towards that first ooze flood from a far enough distance away that it will disappear by the time you get there, ensuring a free quarter of the room.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:42 pm

Really fun fight but will probably be nerfed, the tuning is very tight and you do get overwhelmed with slimes as he casts the disease more often as the fight progresses. As a paladin tank you are very good for kiting the slime because you can cleanse the disease off people yourself when they move into a good position which is about 10 yards in front of the slime and towards the edge of the room so as their small slime chases after them as they move back into the centre of the room, it will move into the path of the big ooze. For our kill we used 2 healers and an elemental shaman who chipped in with heals whenever a healer had the disease.

A very well designed fight overall.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:54 pm

Oh yeah if you have to move through the slime pools just HOF yourself and you won't get snared.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Nekkos » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:30 pm

Paladins certainly do seem like the best choice for tanking the adds with the ability to freedom themselves and cleanse the debuffed person when they get to a good spot, not to mention PoJ and a variety of ranged abilities to keep aggro on large oozes. That said, OT'ing the fight isn't all that fun :? .
Nekkos

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:09 pm

Little oozes spawn with 500,000 threat on their target, makes the first one annoying as hell.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Nekkos » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:22 pm

Flex wrote:Little oozes spawn with 500,000 threat on their target, makes the first one annoying as hell.

This. ./rage
Nekkos

Postby Lieris » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:05 am

Nekkos wrote:Paladins certainly do seem like the best choice for tanking the adds with the ability to freedom themselves and cleanse the debuffed person when they get to a good spot, not to mention PoJ and a variety of ranged abilities to keep aggro on large oozes. That said, OT'ing the fight isn't all that fun :? .

I disagree, it's way more interesting than tanking the boss and requires more skill.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Wrathy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:00 am

Flex wrote:Little oozes spawn with 500,000 threat on their target, makes the first one annoying as hell.

Just use a frost mage to nova them in place till the second one merges with the first. Instant Win!
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Gyute » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:11 am

Wrathy wrote:

Just use a frost mage to nova them in place till the second one merges with the first. Instant Win!

I am guessing they are immune to roots?

Haven't had a mage on our 10 man team for quite awhile now.... ugh
Gyute

Postby Meloree » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:27 am

Wrathy wrote:

Frost mage. Ewwwwwww.

Isn't that still like carrying a BM hunter? Or a subtlety rogue?
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Wrathy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:46 am

Meloree wrote:
Wrathy wrote:

Frost mage. Ewwwwwww.

Isn't that still like carrying a BM hunter? Or a subtlety rogue?

Typo from my mild dyslexia Mage to Frost Nova. I would log off before bringing a frost mage or bm hunter.

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Shathus » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:56 am

Our mage should be able to make the next attempt in there and will have to try that out. I think between that and just HoF through the slime if it comes up should rectify a lot of the issues... assuming the 8 other people can successfully kite the small oozes in front of the big one...

Thanks for the advice
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Cyathus » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:18 pm

Do any snares besides Frost Nova work on the little oozes? It would be nice if I could just HoJ them in place until the next one comes out. Or failing that have a druid root or a rogue stunlock or something of the sort!
Cyathus

Next

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel