Remove Advertisements

Stupid question....

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Stupid question....

Postby EdCrusher » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:23 am

I'm still getting used to using Divine Sacrifice. I realize that you should use Divine Protection with it, but can you use Divine Shield? I thought Shield causes you to lose aggro.
EdCrusher

Re: Stupid question....

Postby Arcand » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:31 am

Divine Shield doesn't do anything to your threat level; bad guys will only ignore you as long as it's up. As soon as it's down, and you generate any amount of threat, the bad guy will 'remember' you and come back.

It's convenient to make a macro where the first line cancels Divine Shield and the second line casts it. Double-click that and you can use DS to snap off debuffs without losing aggro for more than, at worst, a couple seconds.

(Also, I understand you can cancel the Sacrifice effect and the Guardian effect keeps working. Did you know that?)
Arcand

Postby EdCrusher » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:55 am

Yeah I read that, but assuming the boss ignores me when I have it on, won't it go to the next highest threat? So in the instance where I want to pop Divine Sacrifice->Shield in order to negate the extra damage won't the boss just one shot the next highest aggro guy?
EdCrusher

Postby Arcand » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Generally, yes. :)

Ways around this:

* If #2 is a rogue and the two of you belong to a hive-mind, he can hit Evasion just before you bubble and perhaps survive an attack.

* If #2 is ranged DPS, you might be able to flash Divine Shield and then recover aggro before the bad guy shoves #2's legs up his nose.

* If #2 is another tank - I'm sure you get the idea.

* Taunting a bad guy forces him to attack you for 3? seconds, even if Divine Shield is up. Righteous Defense doesn't apply a taunt if the bad guy's already on you, but I believe Hand of Reckoning does.
Arcand

Postby EdCrusher » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:31 pm

Thanks! I think part of my problem was the fact that Holy uses it as well, but can use Shield at will since they don't have to hold aggro.

In general though, Divine Protection is better for Sacrifice right?
EdCrusher

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:25 am

Divine protection and divine sacrifice are completely different beasts. If you know you can use one while using Sacrifice, then by all means, do it.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Proclaim » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:44 pm

DSac is a great spell and Divine Guardian is an even better spell but there is just one problem. If the damage redirect caused by DSac is enough to remove the DSac buff (check the tooltip for that amount) you lose the Divine Guardian buff (20% dmg wall for raid) which is unwanted. This is the macro I use to get a guaranteed 20% dmg reduction for the raid for the full duration.
/cast Divine Sacrifice
/cancelaura Divine Sacrifice

At first glance this looks really dumb, but its not. When you cast DSac you get two auras, Divine Sacrifice and Divine Guardian, that are not linked. If you manually remove the DSac aura you will not cancel out the Guardian buff. I use this when I want to prevent a lot of dmg but can't afford to eat the sacrifice damage or I want to prevent a lot of damage over the full 6 seconds. Two examples, Festergut when he breathes out and Professor Putricide in P3.
Proclaim

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:45 pm

Actually, you're wrong. The fix that made Divine Guardian a seperate buff also made it so that the Divine Sacrifice ending early will never cause it to cancel, even if it DSac ends by redirecting the maximum damage. This is also why Divine Guardian was nerfed to 6 seconds, instead of the full duration of Divine Sacrifice.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Njall » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:51 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Actually, you're wrong. The fix that made Divine Guardian a seperate buff also made it so that the Divine Sacrifice ending early will never cause it to cancel, even if it DSac ends by redirecting the maximum damage. This is also why Divine Guardian was nerfed to 6 seconds, instead of the full duration of Divine Sacrifice.

Theck's got a nice macro for it too. Now where is it....

Here it is:

theckhd wrote:There's a slightly more elegant macro if you just want the Divine Guardian effect:

Code: Select all
#show
/cast Divine Sacrifice
/in 0.5 /script CancelUnitBuff("player","Divine Sacrifice")

Alternatively, if you just want to mash the button, this will work:
Code: Select all
#show
/cancelaura Divine Sacrifice
/cast Divine Sacrifice
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents