single button tanking?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: single button tanking?

Postby halabar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:12 pm

bentglasstube wrote:
theckhd wrote:Interesting, I didn't know that. I could have sworn it used to work the other way, but that might have been back in classic when it was introduced.

You might be getting /castsequence mixed up with /castrandom which used to pick a new random spell if there were cooldown issues. Either way, they both continue to attempt to cast the same spell until successful now.

Then again, I was too much of a noob to know about macros in vanilla.

I think it's /castrandom that has been nerfed to the ground, and /castsequence has been hammered as well.

The new trend is /click macros, with timing spacers. Yeah, I use this on my hunter.. :-)
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby halabar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:16 pm

theckhd wrote:
halabar wrote:This. Also consider Sauerfang where you have to tank with no AOE otherwise you'll grab the beasts.

This isn't true, you just have to drop HotR from your rotation for about 10 seconds around their spawn time. Their aoe reduction reduces Consecration ticks so much that healing aggro easily outpaces them.

Well, at least in my 10-man runs, the MT/BM/Bear is constantly yelling for me to stop AOE, and HotR and Cons both seem to grab the adds. I basically am stopping doing anything until that adds are pulled, other than taunting at the right time. So I'm going to do a few other keybinds so I can do the rest of the rotation during the danger peroids. (I also need to fix my DBM, because I'm not getting any announcements...)
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:31 pm

I have ShoR + HotR bound to one button, and Consecrate + Holy Shield bound to another. I have a key modifier that acts as an override in case I want to cast the second spell listed before the first or on demand. This saves me 2 bar slots and in no way ever forces me to cast anything or stops me from casting anything.

Do I need to do this, not really. I could go back to having them all separated, but it is easier for me this way and saves me two slots, with no downside at all, I find that it is easily worth it.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Baelik » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:17 am

I guess now we have a distinction of purpose.

My use of 2 button tanking macros was to be able to keep my threat rotation without having to think about it or do more than watch my globals. (Edit: To clarify, I still use seperate keys to have full control when its needed)

Others may want to fully utilize 2 buttons to "do all you can get done" thereby reducing the keys used from the keyboard.

Our rotation is complex enough to make one button tanking look like a bad deal as a macro but simple enough to make 2 button tanking macros easy. Arguably everything can be solved with modifiers but every modifier is another button added to the mix :)
Baelik

Postby gibborim » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:46 am

theckhd wrote:Interesting, I didn't know that. I could have sworn it used to work the other way, but that might have been back in classic when it was introduced.

Yea, back in classic you could use fall-through logic to let the macro act intelligently based on what was on CD. Since the start of TBC, Blizzard has been on the warpath against macros/addons that try to do that. They also stripped out the if/then/else logic.
gibborim

Postby theckhd » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:39 pm

gibborim wrote:They also stripped out the if/then/else logic.

Well, to be fair, they implemented their own more limited version of if/then/else logic in the form of macro conditionals. I like the new system quite a bit better than the old classic version anyhow, though I used to write most of my macros with /script commands.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby bentglasstube » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:25 pm

This has gotten pretty off-topic, but I really wish they would make [flyable] a useful conditional. I think 80% of my mount macro checks to see if I can actually fly right now and I can barely fit my mounts in after that whole nonsense.

Back on the topic of single button tanking, I personally have my 9s on 1,2,3 and my 6s on Q and E which works just fine for me. At this point, my fingers just do the rotation so it's not much different than a single button macro other than that I move my fingers a tiny bit.
bentglasstube

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:12 am

bentglasstube wrote:This has gotten pretty off-topic, but I really wish they would make [flyable] a useful conditional. I think 80% of my mount macro checks to see if I can actually fly right now and I can barely fit my mounts in after that whole nonsense.

I was under the impression that flyable worked correctly everywhere since a couple patches back (when they fixed Dalaran and allowed flying in WG outside battles).
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby bentglasstube » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:45 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:
bentglasstube wrote:This has gotten pretty off-topic, but I really wish they would make [flyable] a useful conditional. I think 80% of my mount macro checks to see if I can actually fly right now and I can barely fit my mounts in after that whole nonsense.

I was under the impression that flyable worked correctly everywhere since a couple patches back (when they fixed Dalaran and allowed flying in WG outside battles).

It is better than it was but it doesn't work during WG battles and it doesn't work if you don't have Cold Weather Flying. Maybe I'm just being crotchety but I think [flyable] should be false during WG battles and if you do not have proper training.
bentglasstube

Postby Thels » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:30 am

Meloree wrote:/castsequence reset=4 Judgement of Wisdom, Holy Shield, Consecration

Wouldn't that screw up if you fail to HS within 4 seconds? Then it goes back to judgement, which is on CD for another 4 seconds, leaving you without buttons to press.

I use 5 separate buttons for the 969 rotation, pressing them as needed, and adjusting where required, such as Saurfang bloodbeasts.

I do have a /castsequence macro for my taunts, starting with HoR and using RD on target while HoR is on CD. I have a separate button that casts RD on mouseover, so I can put it on someone on my raid, which is useful if you see the "has aggro" box in X-Perl or see someone losing hp during AoE packs.

What I do notice is that the reset timer for castsequence resets every time you press the button, even though no actions come from it. For example, I press my taunt button for HoR, so RD comes up for 6 seconds. When I press the button again, but RD fails to cast, because I'm already the target's target, then it'll stay on RD for another 6 seconds, even though HoR would already be available again.

Because of that I'm really starting to dislike castsequence macro's and am considering moving the taunts separate as well.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby gibborim » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:40 pm

theckhd wrote:
gibborim wrote:They also stripped out the if/then/else logic.

Well, to be fair, they implemented their own more limited version of if/then/else logic in the form of macro conditionals. I like the new system quite a bit better than the old classic version anyhow, though I used to write most of my macros with /script commands.

Only conditionals you directly control. If/Thens that controlled what you did based on the status of things like combo points, buffs and debuffs are a different animal. Also, clense macros that selected their own targets.
gibborim

Postby Dynaeus » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:17 am

I have all the options on my bar. Buttons 1-5 are standard 969 abilities, and button 6 is the one macro giant sequence. When I feel like manually tanking, I use buttons 1-5. When I feel like zoning out on VoA or some other snooze fest, I just hit the one button and think about what I want for dinner. Alternatively, I have the 6's and 9's in two other macros nearby that I drag down before I boss if I'm feeling like tanking like that.

and this is the all-in-one macro for laziness fun:
/castsequence Judgement of Light,Shield of Righteousness,Holy Shield,Hammer of the Righteous,Consecration,Shield of Righteousness,Judgement of Light,Hammer of the Righteous,Holy Shield,Shield of Righteousness,Consecration,Hammer of the Righteous

No reason you have to tank the same way all the time. The bosses change and so does my underwear....no reason I can't change how I tank, too!
Dynaeus

Postby jathitimus » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:54 pm

my personal issue with 1 or 2 button maros is one of comfort and keyboard wear and tear.

Spamming a small number of buttons tends to leave me with a sore finger and hand cramps, spreading the rotation out to 5 buttons and 2-3 fingers helps me keep my hands from cramping. Ive played other games where I used a 1 button dps rotation, and I always had to stop every hour or so and massage my hand, after a marathon gaming session my limit was not how tired I was but how sore my button mashing finger was, I actually had an action bar that was nothing but 1 ability in every slot so I could very the hand placement and finger I used. single button playing sucked bad and it was one of the reason I quit that game.

On the other hand I play on a laptop and while the keyboards are replacable its a bit of a pain to order the right one, and I dont like the idea of my keyboard failing becuase one key got 90% of the use while the other 120+ keys sat unused.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
jathitimus

Postby jere » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:23 am

I kind of hybrid the approach and use a macro for the 6 second abilities but do the 9 second abilities individually. I find this gives me as much flexibility I need. I have HotR first in the castsequence cause that tends to have the most utility being AoE style. There are very few instances where having HotR first causes problems. I know people cite Saurfang as one of them, but really, the times where add spawns happen exactly when I am using HotR are actually not often, and when it does happen, I just hold off for 1-2 seconds. It's not a huge loss for the convenience of having one more button/bar slot to play with.

The idea that you can get locked out of ShoR when you don't want to use HotR has a definite theoretical merit, but I haven't actually run into any practical scenarios where it hurt me in a noticeable way yet.
jere

Postby Dendrah » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:53 am

Imho if you can't master the 5 buttons by now you have not build up enough muscle memory and as such haven't tanked enough.

Stop spending time making macro's and start tanking more and everything will come natural to you.

Does that mean I don't use macro's? Not at all. Whispers on CD abilities, the bubble cleanse everyting macro, raidwarnings bound,... But sequences? I started playing tankadin becaus eI was bored of my hunters one button spam :)
Dendrah

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations