Kara Group Makeup

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Kara Group Makeup

Postby Caliban » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:58 am

Hey guys,

My guild is just about to step into Kara, and I was looking for advice that doesnt come from the hell hole that is the WoW forums :wink:

From what Ive been reading around here group makeups tend to change based on how much gear you have, so I started setting up our group based on low end geared people.

So I was thinking 2 tanks, 5 dps, 3 healers, but wasnt sure If I was sacrificing too much dps to get there? Are there any early on DPS checks?

Right now we are thinking:

Me (tank)
Prot warrior
Hunter
Rogue
Mage
Warlock
Shadow Priest
Holy Priest
Resto Shaman
1 more healer (still looking if anyone knows a good healer on Thrall ;) )

Our warrior was also wondering if he should be full Prot or should be mixed Fury/Prot or something. Any advice you could give would be appreciated. I know my gear isnt good enough to solo tank the instance, but I dont know how often you need 2 full time tanks in there either.

Any advice you can give would be great.
Caliban

Postby Vanifae » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:00 am

The early DPS check is Curator.

Two prot tanks is fine starting out, but you will want to switch to probably one prot tank and a DPS/OT at some point.

But just starting that is good.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Balls » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:09 am

I'd say a full Fury warrior with his Prot Set on him would be better. Attumen, so long as you're above the Defence cap, you could probably tank both, provided said warrior remembers to disarm Attumen.

Moroes, you're going to be taking down, 1 maybe 2 adds; that should be more then enough time for him get a huge threat lead to be second on threat the entire fight.

Maiden... No OTs needed.

For Opera, when you need him to OT something, a Misdirect does wonders.

Nightbane, plenty of fear wards, no problem just have him dps.

Curator, need 1 tank, and him dps ing would help the raid.

He could pick up Kil'rek for Illhoof to avoid the squishies from getting wtfpwned. Would take a bit of effort on his part but if worst comes to worst and Seeds are too far ahead in damage, you can always pick up kilrek as well.

Mage dude, yay for Fury dps.

Netherspite, he'll need to OT here, but other then giving Spite a few more charges, it shouldnt be a problem. A shame they changed Spite to Dragonkin though.

Chess. Lol.

And Prince, yeah him being dps would help a lot more because you want to get prince down before an infernal lands on your head.
Balls

Postby Caelia » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:37 am

your group makeup looks fine, a holy pally as a 3rd healer would be good, as it stand my guild currently runs with 2/3 healers. We recently did maiden with 2.5 healers, a holy priest and a holy pally main healing and me in my leet healing gear healing during the repentance (i let a feral druid tank because we were melee heavy). But for moroes your group looks fine with the 2 shackles and traps, just shield pull the target u burn and moroes and have a the fury warrior just melee moroes aswell but keep a blessing of sac up on him so if you get gouged or blinded and the warr gets hit, back to you. But your makeup seems to be pretty good, nice mix and composition. But id probally recommend the prot warrior going fury or something along that lines . He will benefit the group alot more when he doesnt have to tank.
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

Postby Caliban » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:20 am

K thanks for the advice guys.

Also, in your experience is it possible for a hybrid Fury/Prot build to be successful? (I know this is a paladin forum, just curious) because he still wants to tank outside of Kara I think.
Caliban

Postby Korath » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:32 am

With 2 fully prot tanks in a kara group we find one of them not doing much alot of the time, its nice that I run with feral druid alot so when 1 tank in required (alot of kara... esp since we run with 4 priests :P) he can atleast drop into cat.

.::. Karak 70 Resto Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Destro Warlock .::.
.::. Bentusi 60 Ret Paladin .::.
Korath

Postby Stylaan » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:23 pm

Kara is optimal with 1.5 tanks and 2.5 healers.

Slim it down to 2 healers once your gear is progressed past Karazhan.

Typically, the only fight that requires a second tank is the Netherspite encounter, and even then, 2 non-tank classes can juggle a Red Beam phase by absorbing half of it each.

The Skeletal Ushers will require a second tank in most cases. Everything else can be solo-tanked.

Whenever I go back now, I run with an arm's warrior who shields up in Season 2 gear for OT duty on the ushers and netherspite. Progressing guilds may consider 2 full prot warriors and 3 healers, though a lot of places you will miss having an extra DPSer.
Stylaan

Postby Caelia » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:58 pm

2.5 healers can equal 2 geared healers and a shadow priest :D
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

Postby Kream » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:01 pm

The talents your OT will need most are Improved Thunderclap and Improved Demo Shout. He should go 2/5 Demo if he is Prot (as you really don't have too many extra points with this build) and 5/5 Demo if he is DPS spec'd. 5/5 Demo will allow your warlock to throw Curse of Recklessness on the boss with no penalties. Warriors don't just tank.. they debuff the boss to 30% less damage. A DPS warrior should be able to stance dance to keep the debuffs up without sacrificing any worthwhile talents. Also post 2.3, Prot warriors do decent damage, although completely threat capped. My guild raids Kara with a Prot pally and me as a Prot warrior and I stay competitive with DPS classes.
Kream

Postby Druglike » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:42 am

Caelia wrote:2.5 healers can equal 2 geared healers and a shadow priest :D

Wrong (well, at least early on). Shadowpriest are so threatcapped with gear.. unless your tank is of utmost uberness, you can't even use Vamp Embrace. If your shadowpriest has over 1k +dmg he'll struggle not to overtake your tank even without Vamp Emb if he's keeping Vamp Touch, SW:P up at all times and just about only mind flaying on boss encounters. If he's good at managing cooldowns and is bringing Mind Blast and SW:D into the mix there is absolutely no way he can put Vamp Embrace up. The only fights you can use Vamp Emb on IMO unless you have UBERTANKADIN are those without aggro lists. Don't even mention Fade as an ability to reduce aggro. The problem is that if the group is only at the Kara level, the Shadowpriest will be close to T5 in gear if he has all his crap in order (FSW, Spellstrike, S2weap with all Badge pieces, +all enchants), while the tank will be in much less gear.. later on this will taper off, after the tank is T5+ gear wise. But when 1st stepping into Kara, shadow priests have to STARE at Omen.
Druglike

Return to Karazhan