Noob needs advice/criticism on his two talent specs

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Noob needs advice/criticism on his two talent specs

Postby Brute » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:37 pm

First, the context and the goal: I'm playing on the RPPvP server Ravenholdt. Hence, the purpose of this Ret/Prot spec is not simply DPS or Tank in an instance, but to "succeed and survive in the overall atmosphere of the realm", whether it be soloing, grouping, arena, BG or getting jumped on by Horde players.

Well, the problem here is that you can do well in some, but not all of these, at the same time. If you want to focus on the roles that Prot and Ret fill, then drop your holy spec and spec full prot and full ret. Odds are that you'll be more needed as a tank anyway.

For soloing, either prot or ret will work.

For grouping, same thing.

For Arena, you need ret or holy. Prot might work in certian circumstances but you'll usually be a hindrance to a team.

For BG, you can get away with prot by fulfilling niche roles in the BG, such as tanking in Alterac Valley or defending nodes in Arathi Basin and Eye of the Storm, or carrying the flag in Warsong Gluch. None of those roles require you to kill anything and greatly enhance survivability. But to kill other players or heal your teammates, you need ret or holy.

To prevent getting ganked by hordies, pretty much any spec will work if you know how to use it. 1v1 the paladin is decently strong against most anything. Ret is the defacto pvp dps spec, but holy has amazing self heals with mediocre damage and prot has amazing survivability combined with decent damage output.

Oh, and one more thing: Prot paladins DO NOT heal in combat with Flash of Light or Holy Light. We heal (if needed) with Judgement of Light, and Seal of Light if you need still more. We also use Sacred Shield for damage prevention so less healing is required. The self-healing on-hit procs will be sufficient, once you get some gear, to enable you to solo 3-5 person quests. In that light, prot is easily the most durable and can solo things that the other specs couldn't simply because we take so little damage.

This game is built around specialization and min/maxing, and as someone else mentioned, the trees have gotten more bottom heavy as the game has progressed. Each talent that opens up at 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 points gets more and more powerful and is basically required to fill that role.
Brute

Re: Noob needs advice/criticism on his two talent specs

Postby Aedh » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:06 am

Brute wrote:
For BG, you can get away with prot by fulfilling niche roles in the BG, such as tanking in Alterac Valley or defending nodes in Arathi Basin and Eye of the Storm, or carrying the flag in Warsong Gluch. None of those roles require you to kill anything and greatly enhance survivability. But to kill other players or heal your teammates, you need ret or holy.

I run people down in BGs as prot and kill them. The only time I get beat down is when its over whelming odds(6+), or if I am out classed in terms of skill. Things I can usually kill in a BG: mages, locks, rogues, trees, thunderchickens, warriors of all flavors, rets, prots in their pve gear, shammies, priests, dks, hunters....missing anything? The only things I consistently have trouble with are holy pallies and feral druids. And this from someone who is on the other side of the world from the data centers, playing on a wifi connection shared with 30 other soldiers and who still clicks half of his spells.
Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Whatever happened to Quebec seceding? If they do that, can we invade? America could really use the revenue from exporting syrup and hockey players.
Aedh

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents