Remove Advertisements

Is avenging wrath okay to use while tanking?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Is avenging wrath okay to use while tanking?

Postby Outshined » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:15 pm

fair enough,
but some people wait till they got a 5 stack on SoV.
For me though crap can change in 2 min from the start of a fight, till you need to use it and cant cause you popped av first. Aggro shouldn`t be an issue esp at the beginning of a fight. If your a tank fighting for aggro at the start of a fight, its gonna be a LONG fight

again just my thoughts
Outshined

Postby blakk » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Outshined wrote:fair enough,
but some people wait till they got a 5 stack on SoV.
For me though crap can change in 2 min from the start of a fight, till you need to use it and cant cause you popped av first. Aggro shouldn`t be an issue esp at the beginning of a fight. If your a tank fighting for aggro at the start of a fight, its gonna be a LONG fight

again just my thoughts

AV doesn't cause forbearence you just can't use Bubbles within 30 seconds of using AV so it's 30 seconds not 2 minutes. I usually use AV on the pull or ~35 seconds after i use my bubblewall.
blakk

Postby Elsie » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:13 pm

I use it every CD unless it will conflict with a known boss attack that can cause problems or there's a burn phase that doesnt significantly increase tank damage. There's very little reason not to, and you can always use Divine Sacrifice and trinkets if you're in trouble due to normal damage (quickly canceling the raid redirect).
Elsie

Postby blakk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:08 am

Bah I keep forgetting the div sac change
blakk

Postby Levantine » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:07 am

I pop it as soon as I reach a 5stack on bosses like clockwork. By then any Tricks or Misdirects have ended as well, so I don't need to worry about that.
Levantine

Postby Meloree » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:13 am

I tend to be bad about AW usage, because locking out DP, even if it's only for 30 seconds, makes me nervous. Whenever I use DP, I tend to use AW 30 seconds later, 'cause it's there. Content is so easy that I almost never use DP. It's a vicious cycle.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Ardrhyst » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:47 am

Just a random question I've always wondered about: does Avenging Wrath increase the damage of item-based damage as well? For instance, if I throw an engineering grenade at someone while Avenging Wrath is up, does it hit 20% harder as well?

It seems to me that it would only affect paladin abilities and swing damage, but the tooltip does read "all damage."

Thanks in advance for any wisdom on the subject.
Biggest Game Hunter, as well as collector of pets and mounts. Currently hunting paladins' former glory.
Ardrhyst
Maintankadonor

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:16 am

Ardrhyst wrote:Just a random question I've always wondered about: does Avenging Wrath increase the damage of item-based damage as well? For instance, if I throw an engineering grenade at someone while Avenging Wrath is up, does it hit 20% harder as well?

It seems to me that it would only affect paladin abilities and swing damage, but the tooltip does read "all damage."

Thanks in advance for any wisdom on the subject.

Yes, it does boost the damage of bombs.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:15 pm

Meloree wrote:I tend to be bad about AW usage, because locking out DP, even if it's only for 30 seconds, makes me nervous. Whenever I use DP, I tend to use AW 30 seconds later, 'cause it's there. Content is so easy that I almost never use DP. It's a vicious cycle.
I'm fairly similar, except for Darkwhisper the bosses aren't really an issue as far as threat goes. I do burn it on Darkwhisper as soon as I get a 5 stack up, any added threat on her helps, and she's not much of a threat to kill the tank.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Baelik » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:40 pm

Since I usually roll with Disc priests I mainly use this as a starter for huge trash packs so that my raid/party can aoe spam without fear from the word go. Pain suppression is only slightly weaker than Divine Protection (40% damage reduction compared to 50%)

Like mentioned by everyone above if you you need Divine Shield, Divine Protection or HoP on your self in the next 30 secs then best to avoid this.
Baelik

Postby Awyndel » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:59 pm

Elsie wrote:I use it every CD unless it will conflict with a known boss attack that can cause problems or there's a burn phase that doesnt significantly increase tank damage. There's very little reason not to, and you can always use Divine Sacrifice and trinkets if you're in trouble due to normal damage (quickly canceling the raid redirect).

Pretty much this. And hand of salvation ofc.

Let's just say it's a reminder from the "more dps is never wrong" days when I read about the crusade spec and speed potions ( wich I also use for similar situations ) .
Awyndel

Postby theckhd » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:15 am

Awyndel wrote:Let's just say it's a reminder from the "more dps is never wrong" days

If more DPS is wrong, I don't want to be right.

"...what do you mean Berserking is not a viable tanking enchant?"
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby danceswithchihuahuas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:34 am

Invisusira wrote:Use it after you get 5 stacks of SoV.

this.

If you're an engineer like me, use it just before hitting your sapper charge or saronite bomb as well to maximize its efficiency.

A bad way to do it is to pop wings, THEN pull. I usually throw up holy shield, drop a conc, taunt + AS to pull (since HoReck is off GCD) and exorcism/judge as they're running up to me, then as soon as I hit 5 stacks, pop wings.

It's an extremely effective tool if you use the Salv glyph as well. Personally, I like to try and have as much of a lead I can as possible in case I need to use it.
I get hit in the face for purples.

Tankadin since '06 and no signs of stopping!

danceswithchihuahuas

Postby Diocaska » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:26 am

If you're going to die to unpredictable damage in that 30 seconds, its likey you need to move out of that fire/poison/something, or tell your healers to wake up.
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

Postby han_han » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:39 am

I like to time my Avenging Wrath with heroism, they work nicely together.
han_han

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations