Second Prot spec

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Second Prot spec

Postby Scotty » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:17 pm

I bought Dual Spec not long after I dinged 80 so as to provide more utility to my guild.

Now, however, I'm just tanking with this toon, and I suck at Ret anyway :lol:

Having put 1000 G into Dual Spec, I figure I should get some value out of it, and perhaps provide more value as a tank to my guild.

I'm planning on going with http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0xA0uGusIufdxf0dbc:pNhmcz for my off-spec. I found this build in another thread, but I can't find the thread again so I can't give credit to whoever I pinched it from. :oops:

I'm not having any trouble with my main build (cookie cutter 0/53/18 with 2/2 vind no PoJ) ... Boss threat is not an issue at all, nor is survivability. I will admit the one time we did the Gunship battle before breaking for Christmas I had trouble picking up the incoming raiders ... but that may just be a technique I haven't mastered yet.

So I figured I'd ask what you guys are using?
Scotty

Re: Second Prot spec

Postby twistedundead » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:38 pm

I actually wanted to run with something similar but without PoJ relying on Tuskar's Vitality (a little slower I think, but still effective), and putting two more points into crit. I would also consider picking up a nontanking DPS weapon as that's like a high damage/threat sort of build going on there. I got a buddy that runs something similar and he does fine
twistedundead

Postby Invisusira » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:59 am

Remember that there needs to be a POINT to your off-spec!!!

Back when I was running dual PvE prot specs, my 2nd was my "General tanking spec." It had 2/2 SA, 5/5 Bene, and glyphs that focused on mana conservation to help with the General fight. As time went on, I found myself using the spec more and more simply because I outgeared a lot of stuff and it made things like heroics trival; I'd never run out of mana. So my current spec incorperrates a lot of the stuff I had in that spec.

Right now I'm actually using a PvP prot offspec. If you PvP at all, I'd recommend checking it out, it's great fun!! (This spec works best with ret pvp gear gemmed for strength! Still use your 1h and shield obv.)
Invisusira

Postby Zobel » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:52 am

One prot spec for raid bosses and a second prot spec for trash/heroics. Basically what you've picked.
Zobel

Postby arrigo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:36 am

Invisusira wrote:Remember that there needs to be a POINT to your off-spec!!!

Back when I was running dual PvE prot specs, my 2nd was my "General tanking spec." It had 2/2 SA, 5/5 Bene, and glyphs that focused on mana conservation to help with the General fight. As time went on, I found myself using the spec more and more simply because I outgeared a lot of stuff and it made things like heroics trival; I'd never run out of mana. So my current spec incorperrates a lot of the stuff I had in that spec.

Right now I'm actually using a PvP prot offspec. If you PvP at all, I'd recommend checking it out, it's great fun!! (This spec works best with ret pvp gear gemmed for strength! Still use your 1h and shield obv.)

I've done the same thing, it's a lot of fun to go into BG as a prot pally and have people assume your holy because your carrying a shield only to lead in damage caused and be able to singlehandedly hold off multiple horde defending bases till the calvary show up.
arrigo

Postby Ardrhyst » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:24 am

Invisusira wrote:Remember that there needs to be a POINT to your off-spec!!!

On the subject of PvP prot specs, have you ever tried removing Crusade (I know, this is almost heresy to suggest), the points in Conviction, as well as a point from somewhere else to pick up Seals of the Pure and Defiance? I realize it's certainly an output hit, but warlocks seem to be the bane of my existence in PvP, mostly because of fear. When I trinket, they Death Coil, and then they keep me running around scared until I burn to death.

I haven't tried it, but was just wondering if you had weighed the options and decided the damage was a better way to go?
Biggest Game Hunter, as well as collector of pets and mounts. Currently hunting paladins' former glory.
Ardrhyst
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents