Remove Advertisements

Spiky Damage

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Spiky Damage

Postby Fourcade » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:29 pm

Long time reader, first time poster. First, the armory:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Fourcade

After recently starting to tank raids more the healers have been telling me that I'm taking more damage than the other MT (Warrior). I've gotten all the caps I thought I needed (expertise, hit, block) and have read MTadin like it's my bible but the issue persists. Is this a class thing? Should I change anything?

Thanks in advance.
Fourcade

Re: Spiky Damage

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:48 pm

Well your spec is a bit atypical, (check out the 53/18 spec that is the most commonly used by tanks around here - with variations of course).

The titanium spike to your shield isn't much use - consider switching to either defense or the BC enchant +18 stamina.

Consider switching your parry/stamina gems for agility/stamina (dodge, armor AND crit).

Your cloak isn't enchanted - go for either agility, armor or defense.

Get +22 stamina enchanted on your boots.

Ditch the expertise/stamina for agility/stamina and also get rid of the strength/hit rating gem.

You're not in BAD shape, but you've got some tweaks that'll help.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shathus » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:55 pm

Spec wise I'd recommend moving those 5 points from the holy tree over to ret, pick up Vindication and Vindication/Crusade. (Damn Nika beat me to it)

The other question I would ask is, what content are you doing where this spikey damage is occurring? Heroics, Naxx Uld, ToC, ICC? In a fight like Gormok, your health yo-yo'ing can be expected somewhat because of the nature of the fight and his abilities.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:59 pm

It's also worth mentioning that your health pool is kind of low. Upgrading some of your rare gems to epic gems will increase your health pool.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Morlin » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:36 pm

First of all, I would worry less about the hit cap for your main tanking set. Go for the expertise soft cap first, since that's the best boost to threat. Other than that, go with what the previous posters said already. Tweak the spec to resemble 53/18 more, get some better enchants and upgrade your rare gems to epics. If you're looking to raid 10/25 man content, especially ToC and Ulduar, there's no reason to be still using lower quality gems in your purplez. As a tank, much of the raid's success or failure depends on us, so you should be min/maxing the best you can.
Morlin

Postby wingman » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:21 pm

When you're tanking, are other tanks present and hitting the same target? Almost all tanks have ways of reducing a boss's attack power, which will GREATLY reduce how hard he hits you. It could be that others are keeping these debuffs up, but you don't have vindication, so you don't have a way to get that debuff up by yourself (hoping another tank or dps class will keep it up for you doesn't work out so well). You should definitely spec into Vindication. It is more powerful than demoralizing shout for a warrior or roar for a feral, and you don't even have to waste a GCD to use it, it just procs off your attacks. So, take those 5 pts out of the holy tree and put 2 into vindication. Then, put the rest in Crusade or Seal of Command or w/e.

Many healers have their UI setup to show percentage of health, so if you have a low health pool (say 40k raid buffed) and take a 25k hit, you'll dip down below 40% and the healer will think you're getting wrecked, whereas a tank with 50k hp who takes the same hit will only drop to 50%. So, even though you took the same amount of damage, in the healers mind, you're getting hit alot harder. The best way to remedy that is to get a larger health pool. Get rid of the cheap blue gems and get epics. Most socket bonuses aren't really worth getting, just gem straight stamina. If you must go for a socket bonus, use Agi/Stam for red gems and defense/stam for yellow. Agility gives avoidance in the form of dodge and mitigation in the form of armor. You have WAY too much hit to be gemming for it. Hit is an ok stat, but it isn't crucial that you be hit capped. You could get 75 more stamina just by fixing your gems. Your chest, legs and helm are the only socket bonuses worth going after, and I wouldn't even go after the chest or legs socket bonus, but I guess you have to have one red gem somewhere for your meta gem to work. Enchant your cloak with armor or agi and your shield with 18 stam. Put another 18 stam leather kit on your gloves (threat shouldn't be an issue for you unless the rest of your guild massively outgears you) and put the 22 stam enchant on your boots instead of the 18 stam one. Put +275 health on your chest. All of that will give you 1.5-2k more health raid buffed. Finally, get a 2nd stamina trinket. That will give you another 1.5-2k health. Raising your total health pool by 4k over night and speccing into vindication will do wonders for how much "damage" healers say you're taking.
wingman

Postby Hightin-Uldaman » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:14 pm

Im goign to ignore the stuff thats been commented on a couple times already like the gemming and boot enchant.

Quickly skimming your armory I noticed you are using a def trinket and no cloak enchant with a (mostly) useless shield enchant. Fixing the two and getting another stam trinket will help your HP pool quite a bit. From my math without the trinket you need 8 defense rating to cap it so you would only need one enchant to cover it letting you put 18 stam on ur shield. The shoulder enchant from Hodir Im not a fan of I use the 30 stam 15 resil pvp enchant. Also your chest enchant. I personally hate 10 to stats and use the 275 HP. Your avoidance is in a good place though. The other enchant I dont think I saw mentioned was the glove enchant. Your threat should be find and I would pick up either the armor or the LWing 18 stam enchant instead of that tiny bit of threat.

If you have the extra triumph I would get the 245 tank wrist made. I prefer that wrist to any of the toc drops and its only 60 triumph to get it made, assuming you can gather the other mats. Me personally I am in love with the T9 4pc and would replace ur helmet to get it. I use it every fight theres a phase transition to give healers more time to adjust back into tank healing, most notably Lord Marrowgar.
Hightin-Uldaman

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations