Remove Advertisements

Icecrown Radiance

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Icecrown Radiance

Postby Kihra » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:09 am

rathe wrote:Right so I rescinded the idea stating it was probably a combination. Theres no doubt the fight mechanic rewards 'avoiding'. But most tanks will want to wear their EH sets.
I also think the fight would be trivialized more than the others without the radiance


Actually there's even doubt about that. See the combat log I posted in the Gunship thread. The gunship captain's buff stacking is very confusing and it's not clear to me what exactly it's tied to. He did sometimes stack the buff without having hit me at all.
Kihra
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:01 pm

Re: Icecrown Radiance

Postby wingman » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:12 am

rathe wrote:Right so I rescinded the idea stating it was probably a combination. Theres no doubt the fight mechanic rewards 'avoiding'. But most tanks will want to wear their EH sets.
I also think the fight would be trivialized more than the others without the radiance


Actually, no. Avoidance doesn't prevent the gunship captain from stacking his buff either. He gains stacks even when you avoid his hits too.

Damn you Kihra. Posted as I was typing. Silly work and their distractions. Anyway, here's further proof. Here's a log parse of me tanking Saurfang:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-5zbm9kpnjbje7b75/log/

His 1st, 9th, 10th, 12th, 22nd, and 32nd stacks of the buff all happened even though I avoided all of his attacks. So, something else is causing him to gain stacks of the buff. At first I thought it was a linear timed thing, but there are variances in that as well. It can take anywhere from 3-6 seconds for him to gain a stack, so I'm still quite confused as to what causes the stack gain.
Image
wingman
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:09 pm

Re: Icecrown Radiance

Postby Alixander » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:48 am

wingman wrote:His 1st, 9th, 10th, 12th, 22nd, and 32nd stacks of the buff all happened even though I avoided all of his attacks. So, something else is causing him to gain stacks of the buff. At first I thought it was a linear timed thing, but there are variances in that as well. It can take anywhere from 3-6 seconds for him to gain a stack, so I'm still quite confused as to what causes the stack gain.


Possibly incoming damage or number of attacks? Like every time he takes 3 direct-damage attacks or 6,000 damage, he'll gain a stack (those numbers are completely made up, just examples)? This could account for time between stacks since you will sometimes use low damage attacks, non-direct damaging abilities like Holy Shield, or Consecration. If this theory is right, it calls for an entirely different approach to ability use while on him. Now Seal of Light is ideal ability to use and you want to apply just enough threat to take aggro then hold him for as long as you can.
Alixander
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 11:51 am
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: Icecrown Radiance

Postby rathe » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:00 am

Huh, interesting. Well that's good to know.

I guess that was me trying to link it to the fact that originally it only stacked when tanking in melee. Oh well sorry for the confusion!


I didn't observe any behavior having to do with incoming damage, but again I could be wrong. During our attempts I thought it was outgoing hits so I stopped attacking him while he was low(with the thought to reduce parries) and had seal of light on for when the stacks got high. Though if someone else had hit him I wouldn't have noticed. Don't let that stop you from looking into it, I'm really curious how the stacks work now...
Snake-Aes wrote:Well... sometimes being obnoxious works.
http://us.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Area+52&cn=Bloodrathe&gn=Nidh%C3%B6gg
rathe
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:42 am

Re: Icecrown Radiance

Postby Kihra » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:54 pm

rathe wrote:Huh, interesting. Well that's good to know.

I guess that was me trying to link it to the fact that originally it only stacked when tanking in melee. Oh well sorry for the confusion!


I didn't observe any behavior having to do with incoming damage, but again I could be wrong. During our attempts I thought it was outgoing hits so I stopped attacking him while he was low(with the thought to reduce parries) and had seal of light on for when the stacks got high. Though if someone else had hit him I wouldn't have noticed. Don't let that stop you from looking into it, I'm really curious how the stacks work now...


I've figured out how the gunship captain works, and I posted the information in the ICC Gunship thread.

Basically just as with Saurfang avoidance is irrelevant. He stacks his buff from melee swings regardless of whether they hit or not. He can't stack it from Cleaves, which is the principal source of streakiness as far as how often the buff stacks. There is also has an internal cooldown on how often he can stack it, which is why some hits don't stack the buff.
Kihra
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:01 pm

Re: Icecrown Radiance

Postby gerbi7 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:51 pm

Well since it has been established that the marginal damage reduction of avoidance is lowered, how about comparing it to the marginal damage reduction of armor?
gerbi7
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:55 pm

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest