How many tankadins is too many?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Fedaykin98 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:18 pm

My guild's MT and RL is a Prot Pally. ;)

I believe I'm the 3rd best-geared tank (after a Feral Druid). We have one other Prot Pally but he has been playing his Holy Priest almost exclusively.

We've just started running 2 Kara groups, so no telling how the 25-man scenario will eventually work out.
Fedaykin98

Postby sindorei » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:02 am

it wasn`t bad to have 4 tanks,especially if u have 2 groups of kara/za
sindorei

Postby Claydon » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:03 am

You guys are pretty lucky, i have only recently moved to full time tankadin and we have

5 well geared warriors 2 mid geared
1 bear
and me

=/ i think i am going to have trouble getting a raid spot, especially since a number of people in the guild dont trust prot pala's. Luckily the RL and GL seem comfortable with me.
Claydon

Postby Gracerath » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:35 am

I used to sit on the sidelines to 2 prot warriors and one druid. One warrior quit, the other plays infrequently so it was me and the druid that moved into the two MT positions. We recruited another really skilled warrior to fill in. We run with 3 MT's for most everything with the druid going to dps when we only need 2 or me healing for trash if we are a bit light.

I'm the only 25 man geared prot pally we have though one of our priests has one with a few drops from Kara and will *probably* be able to tank an add for Mag or one of Maulgars adds soon if needed and we are short a tank.

One of our ZA groups uses a DW fury warrior in pretty impressive prot gear for their 2nd tank. Its not as effective but they make it work. He sometimes tanks an add for us on occasion in SSC when needed but not too often.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:10 am

More than 1 in a raid is a waste of raidslot in most cases.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Coristad » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:47 am

Worldie wrote:More than 1 in a raid is a waste of raidslot in most cases.

Oh it's not for the raid, but for the guild.

We are a casual raiding guild, so signups are a bit more informal-- usually it's just "4 tanks", not "2 prot warriors, prot pally, feral druid". So usually the signup thread is posted and is immediately filled with our 67443245 prot warriors. As others have said, in most cases more than 2 tanks in a raid is suboptimal (especially if one can aoe tank), but that will never happen for a variety of social and political reasons.

I don't think the leadership will actively recruit another tankadin, I'm just wondering if it's worth it to convince someone to respec.
Coristad

Postby Arcand » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:06 am

Claydon wrote:=/ i think i am going to have trouble getting a raid spot, especially since a number of people in the guild dont trust prot pala's.

Become a heroic-running machine, and kill two birds with one stone. You'll get badge gear which matches or exceeds anything to be had in Karazhan, and if you pull guildies into your heroic groups they'll see you at your absolute best. :)
Arcand

Postby Zhalseran » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:05 am

2 prot pallies is too many. That way I'm the only one stealing warrior lewt.

I mean.....
Zhalseran

Postby Dunemas » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:13 am

My guild is painfully traditional - one Feral tank, one prot pally (Me) and a seemingly endless supply of prot warriors.
Dunemas

Postby Arcand » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:38 am

Dunemas wrote:My guild is painfully traditional - one Feral tank, one prot pally (Me) and a seemingly endless supply of prot warriors.

They have several of the time-tested class known to be beloved of Blizzard and capable of tanking everything under the sun, plus one of each other tank class? Methinks you're being ungenerous. ;)

'Painfully traditional' makes me think "We disenchanted Draconian Deflectors rather than waste them on paladins and it never hurt us, and we're not wasting a slot on a bear or tankadin now. Awake says they're a waste of time, and he's killed Illidan."
Arcand

Postby ehly » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:24 pm

Zhalseran wrote:2 prot pallies is too many. That way I'm the only one stealing warrior lewt.

I mean.....

agreed...errr....

Dunemas wrote:My guild is painfully traditional - one Feral tank, one prot pally (Me) and a seemingly endless supply of prot warriors.

As of recently this sort of is my guild as well. 1 prot pally, 1 feral, 3-4 prot warriors that we cycle in. Myself and the last feral are the primary OTs for progression currently, but we get a fair share of side Main Tanking.

We actually have a guild ret, toss on his tanking gear for Morogrim to help gather murlocs. So a second would be nice for that fight, as the randomness on the watery grave sucks :(
ehly

Postby Sharow » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:37 pm

My guild runs with 3 prot warriors, 3 prot pallies and 3 feral druids. The tanking roster is pretty much a question of who's available on any given night. We're a semi-casual guild with a big roster, currently working on Kael.

ehly wrote:We actually have a guild ret, toss on his tanking gear for Morogrim to help gather murlocs. So a second would be nice for that fight, as the randomness on the watery grave sucks :(

I know this isn't the place for it but the randomness that is watery grave can be circumvented by raid positioning making this the most predictable, routing fight in the instance.
Sharow

Postby Jarkeld » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:40 pm

well, generally people run with 4 tanks
depending on the encounter you want 1 paly, 1 warrior, 1 druid, the 4th one doesn't really matter and can be any, so 2 prot palys in a raid is fine
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made many people upset and generally been decided as a bad idea.
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... &n=Jarkeld
Jarkeld

Re: How many tankadins is too many?

Postby Relel » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:17 pm

Coristad wrote:I think public opinion is slowly beginning to shift in my guild and the leadership is finally finding a use for tankadins. So far, I'm the only one, which is nice for me. I'm curious if anyone is in a multi-tankadin guild, and how is it working out for the guild?

<Envy> of Mug'thol (Horde) use 1 fulltime prot paladin

and 1 part time holy/prot paladin (of course the bank pays the respec fees :lol: )

With the nerf to fears, the full time prot pally is our Lord Sanguinar tank in phase 3 ,tank weapons in 2 and tank birdies in phase 4
Relel

Postby Novariety » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:52 pm

In our guild I am not sure how many of each of the tanking classes we have as I have yet to raid with them only just recently hitting 70 on my new pally. I do know there are 2 protection pally's tho.

Once geared appropriately hopefully I will respec back and forth between holy and protection.
Novariety

PreviousNext

Return to General