[H] Halls of Reflection - Waves

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [H] Halls of Reflection - Waves

Postby Flex » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:08 am

hoho wrote:When healing it on priest I never got past second wave as our tank was some horrible DK that didn't get any threat on ranged mobs. I as healer was taking as much damage as the tank.

When a new tank asks for advice that is the only thing I give them. It is amazing how many inexperienced tanks just don't think of the ranged mob. I tend to over think them and lose aggro on melee mobs, oops.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Hokahey » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:40 pm

After some consideration, I've decided not tanking the Mage(s), and just letting the DPS focus on her while I pick up the others is the way to go. Its very little, if any, difference for the healer, and just to let them know to not interrupt/silence her casts (stuns are ok), lest she run up and bludgeon some poor clothy to death (I don't even know if that's what she would do). That, and I'm still preferring the hallway to the "nook".
Hokahey

Postby Ceridwen » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:44 am

Has anyone been using CC successfully for the waves? We had no trouble on our Alliance side, with a warrior tank & my rogue, but it's been awful Horde-side, where I'm the pally tank, with a pally healer. (our Horde outgears our Alliance, & we had higher dps for those runs) We did have worse luck with mobs on Horde, but it just seemed that we did far worse than we should have, already knowing the instance, & being on our best characters. I have *no* idea what I'm doing wrong in there.

We are doing priest-mage-rogue-hunter, and maybe that should be altered. I'd also considered ignoring the mages, letting the dps avoid flamestrike, & just tanking the others.

One problem might be that I just don't see the flamestrike, with consecration out, as well as all the hunter traps going. If you stay in that cubby after the wave hits, aren't you just wiping yourself out? (I got out, but the dps & healer tends to stay there.)

I assumed that if everyone was in the nook, in the alcove, & I was a bit ahead, doing consecration, they'd come to me. But both the hunter & the mages would pop into that same space & just blast the healer, every time. (I did have a pugged arms warrior doing bladestorm & taking threat a lot, just as they'd arrive, which didn't help)

I hope they don't nerf it, though - I want to conquer it!
Ceridwen

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:13 am

After doing this quite a few times, I just make the group stand in the middle of the room. Mages are focused down immediately, while I pick up priests, mercs, and footmen as they run to the middle, drag them to riflemen, and Holy Wrath. By that point, the mages should be dead, and you should have aggro on everything else. I tried the nooks behind the bosses, but I found that I was having issues seeing what was going on. Remember that if no dps is attacking them, you can hold ranged attackers permanently with Hand of Reckoning. Well, with 2t9 you can.

@Ceridwen I've had Shackle work as horde. Only used it once, but it worked fine.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:14 am

Elite wrote:Only downside I epxerienced yesterday was the DPS DK needing the defence collar from the treasure chest ... I love the LFG tool but apearantly some servers have other ettiquette / protocol . On arathor you only need stuff that is relevant to the role your representing in the group ... if you go as dps you need on relevant dps gear , as tank you need on tank gear ect .. your offspec or second talent tree isnt taken into consideration ...

He claimed it wasnt that way where he was from ... /shrug still kinda peeved I relay liked that neck ...

The only problem with that is that there are so many tanks/healers that have no need for any gear for their current spec. I mean, I don't need a single tank drop out of any of the heroics. So, by that logic, I'd have to show up as ret if I wanted ret gear. All that does is cause issues with finding tanks.
Belloc

Postby hoho » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:47 am

I've tanked it once when standing in the middle and it wasn't too bad. It just requires everyone else to stand there too and having fast reflexes to see and pick up the melees before they reach anyone else. In corner it's obviously easieir, though possibly not for healer who now likely will have to outheal getting flamestrike on all people at once.

Last night healed it in pug on my druid and pulled close to 3.5k hps there. Later in totgc10 I did 3k on most bosses :P
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Shoju » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:29 am

This place is indeed brutal. I have completed it on heroic.... Twice now. Both times I ended up tanking, and my tank gear is no where near the quality of my Ret set.

I go to the left, and have everyone get in the nook closest to the entrance. Why? Because everytime I have gone into the nook closer to the LK's room, people end up dead. I don't know why. I used the same strat on both sides, and the other nook was bad.

I have my healer set as my focus, and I have a Righteous Defense Macro for my focus target. I drop cons so that it gets the steps, and the cubby. I hammer melee, and shield a loose caster. Holy Wrath everytime you can.

The waves seem to be an exercise in learning how to taunt IMO. I have doing this place on my DK as I don't have a reliable way to pull and keep everything off my healer, even with DnD, and Howling Blast. I go in there with the idea of being an AoE-ing Whirling Dervish, but the DK just struggles more in there. Part of it might be gearing as my DK is not nearly as geared, but part of it is that Righteous Defense just kicks this encounter in the teeth.
Shoju

Postby GothicPL » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:22 pm

I tanked and healed this event multiple times now.

First of all, I love how the new heroics are tuned to allow 5 man only players to progress from easiest (FoS) to medium difficulty (PoS) to hardest (HoR), and get meaningful upgrades while doing that.

On the subject of the gauntlet event - I used to think it's reasonably challenging to tank it until I tried healing it. :twisted:

Oh. My. God.

Mind you, I was doing the healing on a class that probably has most tools at its disposal to deal with various mob abilities - resto shaman (tremor, cleansing, decurse hunter +100% goodness), but even with all that, when mercs silence you and hunters trap you there is a good chance someone will die. Basically, regardless of gear you need to heal your guts off, and try to drink during the short breaks between the waves. Frankly, this event is more challenging to heal than any raids I've healed so far.

This event is much easier when smart players who use tools at their disposal - tanks using survival CDs when the healer is CCed/silenced, dps using their own stuns/silences/CCs and healthstones, and healers using PvP trinkets and their own CDs (oh how I wished for a shorter CD on Nature's Swiftness here.)

On the strat. Use one of the side alcoves (left or right doesn't matter) in the beginning of each wave, after all mobs run there, use Holy Wrath to reduce incoming damage and, most importantly, after the initial pull have ranged and healers run to the end of alcove to reduce aoe damage taken (hello Flamestrike.) The last part helps a ton with the level of incoming damage in this fight. Blood Elves save Arcane Torrent for groups with multiple mages.

Tell DPS to use their trinkets/CDs, pop wings and use BL in the beginning of the first mini boss, as his stacking debuff eventually kills the group off. Rez the dead quickly after the first miniboss is dead. :)
GothicPL

Postby Khere » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:58 pm

I've only tanked this on Normal mode and I have not liked the LOS approach. I have some trouble picking up all the mobs. I find the hardest one to pick up is that short Dwarf hunter!

A thought I had, given availability of dual specs, if this wouldn't go a lot smoother if a DPSer temporarily assumed a tanking role? Granted DPS will suffer some but wouldn't there would be a lot less hassle in picking up the mobs coming from random directions and make the healer a breath a lot easier? I imagine that two Pally tanks could make these fights trivial?
Khere

Postby GothicPL » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:23 pm

Khere wrote:A thought I had, given availability of dual specs, if this wouldn't go a lot smoother if a DPSer temporarily assumed a tanking role? Granted DPS will suffer some but wouldn't there would be a lot less hassle in picking up the mobs coming from random directions and make the healer a breath a lot easier? I imagine that two Pally tanks could make these fights trivial?

Unfortunately, the first mini boss that follows the waves is a hard DPS race because of the stacking damage and healing reduction debuff. For example, with 226/232 geared DPS, if one of them dies during the trash waves, a wipe on the miniboss fight is quite likely.

You mention trouble picking up adds with the LOS approach. Where were the adds going instead? I assume you had the group stacked on you in one of the alcove corners.
GothicPL

Postby Khere » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:11 am

People get antsy and have difficulty stacking and not seeing what is going on. I know I don't like it. I did have one time where one of the mobs ran right past me to the healer who most likely had a HoT up on one of us.

I had a couple runs on normal last night that went pretty well. We used some CC on the ranged mobs making it go fairly smoothly.

You may be right about the first boss. The only thing which seemed remotely difficult were the fears. Maybe I always had good healers and didn't notice the increasing damage as the battle progressed.
Khere

Postby Hokahey » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:17 am

Its not that his damage increases, its that yours decreases the longer it takes to kill him.
Hokahey

Postby Chicken » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:25 am

Hokahey wrote:Its not that his damage increases, its that yours decreases the longer it takes to kill him.
Your damage and your healing to be exact. The latter part is what makes it pretty important to kill him quick enough, as your healer will probably have a hard time keeping everyone alive through the damage the fear does once it's at it's limit of 75%. Well, unless your healer is a Discipline Priest since their shield isn't affected by the debuff.
Chicken

Postby inthedrops » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:09 pm

Admittingly, this place isn't a facroll. Here are some tips for my tanky friends (most are probably already given).

1. Regarding the "alcoves" at the left and right. They're useful, but sometimes do more harm than good because people tend to not be patient enough to wait until the mods come. Don't rely on people hiding long enough. In fact, stop using it if it's clear this will be the case (you'll know after the first pull).

2. If you have any melee DPS, ask one to keep the Riflemen busy full time. It's ok if they have agro the whole time from the riflemen, but obviously keep it to a minimum if you have spare taunts. This works VERY well because they end up with the magic debuff and not YOU. They do very little damage at melee range.

3. Instruct everyone to kill priests first, followed by mages. Once they're dead kill order doesn't much matter. Plus, if you try to make it any more complicated people (pugs) will just forget and start attacking whatever is closest.

4. Drop consecrate on top of the healer or just near the entry way once you see the first mob approaching. Pick a side that the healer tends to be at.

5. Try to save your shield throw only for the pesky casters that stand way out in the center of the room.

6. Grab the melee mobs first. Use HotR and ShoR to snag them. Save judgements (since it's range is longer) and taunts for the casters.

7. Once you've got the melee rounded up, figure out where the casters are. Taunt then LoS any that are already near the alcove entry way. This will pull it into the room. Throw shield at any that are remain at range (perhaps the healer isn't LoS'ing for example). This'll prevent their cast and force them to move closer.

8. If you DO have to run out of the alcove and way into the center of the room to pick something up, run back ASAP so you're not out of range from healing for very long.

9. Personal preference here, but there are a few optimal times to use Holy Wrath:
(1) Most of the mobs are in range but a pesky caster or two. Holy Wrath the ones near the raid, then run out and grab the pesky casters, then run back in and LoS if you can.
(2) Oh shit!
(3) A few seconds into the wave when things are most deadly.

10. If you're human, save Every Man for Himself for when it's REALLY needed. Don't use it on instinct.

11. Equip a bubble/cancel bubble macro and be ready to mash that macro with your mouse real quick.

12. Hammer when your taunts are on cooldown and you need to buy a few seconds before you can taunt.

13. Once you've got your melee on you, and one of the ranged/casters, go plant yourself by another ranged/caster near the group and start your AoE threat building stuff. If there are still any ranged that aren't near you, creep over into the alcove for a couple seconds to LoS them into the room with you.

14. There's no rule that says you have to tank them in the alcove. Once you've got them all gathered up, tank them wherever the heck you please. Trust me, DPS will follow :)

As mentioned, I perfer to only use the alcove to get the casters in. I don't really like having everyone hide. I'm a bit like a chicken with it's head cut off with the amount of running around I do. Just be smart about your abilities and use them wisely rather than right when the cooldown is up and you'll do fine.

This fight definetely requires a non slacking healer who is also intelligent and at least one solid DPS who can follow kill orders.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Veilan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:43 pm

First to get off my chest: Most boring, half-assed instance ever.

On topic: I had no problems, usually at least one CC, shackle or repentance, is present. Hit one rifle or mage with it, then just drag your melee mobs to the other. You're a paladin - remember to make use of holy wrath, it's perfect to stick the melees to you and give you a headstart while you trundle over happily to your ranged target. If you got two CCs, even better.

Though, I didn't even find it difficult without CCs, since you can just force a mage to trundle over to you with avenger's shield.
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats