Bear Boss

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Scotthew » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:20 am

Honorshammer wrote:How do you know he can't deal a CB?

Testing. I read on WoWwiki that he couldn't Crush so when I tanked him on PTRs I used higher stam lower block rating gear. I was about 5-6% crushable (with Holy Shield up) and didn't receive a single crushing blowing in my 8-10 instances of tanking him. It appears that many of the bosses in Zul'Aman don't have the chance to crush, but obviously further testing is required.
Scotthew

Postby honorshammer » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:36 pm

Scotthew wrote:
Honorshammer wrote:How do you know he can't deal a CB?

Testing. I read on WoWwiki that he couldn't Crush so when I tanked him on PTRs I used higher stam lower block rating gear. I was about 5-6% crushable (with Holy Shield up) and didn't receive a single crushing blowing in my 8-10 instances of tanking him. It appears that many of the bosses in Zul'Aman don't have the chance to crush, but obviously further testing is required.

If they are moving to bosses than can't CB, wouldn't Druids become the #1 tank.
honorshammer

Postby mconeone » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:09 pm

Can any of the bosses in ZA crush?
mconeone

Postby Scotthew » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:29 pm

Honorshammer wrote:If they are moving to bosses than can't CB, wouldn't Druids become the #1 tank.

It depends. Unless Blizzard develops fights that have new and interesting abilities, the your typical "tank and spank" fights will definitely have druid preference once Crushing Blows are removed. But if Blizzard can get creative, then encounters could continue to spread around the tanking love. How about a boss that has twice the typical armor but is vulnerable to spell damage? Paladin tank to the rescue. How about a boss that casts a lightning bolt for 30K damage every 60 seconds to the second highest threat? An off-tank with shield reflect would be perfect.

Phasing out the crushing blow mechanic is necessary to continue developing more challenging bosses. So let us hope that Blizzard gets creative enough to allow Paladin tanks a continued role in the future and not make druids the end-all answer.

mconeone wrote:Can any of the bosses in ZA crush?

I'm not sure yet, but several are said to be incapable of it. Further testing is necessary.
Scotthew

Postby Comma » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:48 pm

Eagle, Zul'jin at least.

By the way, for the bear boss, has anyone ever get taunt resisted? I never get one for 5 boss kills (2 in ptr, 3 in public).
Comma

Postby Dorvan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:50 pm

I killed the bear once on the PTR and the druid I was tanking with had 3 taunt resists during the fight....that was before the switch to melee hit based taunts though.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Juliette » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:54 pm

I tanked his Troll Form while the Warrior tanked the Bear Form and it went perfectly...until about 9% when the Warrior died. But due to some great healing, Improved LoH and remembering the fact I could bubble myself to remove Mangle, we one-shotted him down on my first trip to ZA :)

The Eagle boss on the other hand, need a bit of practice...We decided that using one tank instead of 2 made sense, but we need too work on grouping and separating a bit quicker during the Electrical Storms, and killing the eagle adds.

I had 19.4k health fully buffed btw, which I was so happy to see, because the Warrior had only 17k, lol
Juliette

Postby sindorei » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:03 am

never had any resists. if human form taunt resist, the bleed gona hurts
sindorei

Postby Comma » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:21 am

Comma wrote:

Eagle, Zul'jin at least.

Oh, and Hex lord, he can crush for 17k with avenging wrath to a T5 warrior.
Comma

Postby Gerilith » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:28 am

Comma wrote:

Eagle, Zul'jin at least.

By the way, for the bear boss, has anyone ever get taunt resisted? I never get one for 5 boss kills (2 in ptr, 3 in public).

Yes, at ~23% I had a taunt resist...my tanking partner died and I had to blow some CDs to solo tank him down (only had 2 healers, it was fun trying the instance :wink: ).
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Rhî » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:12 am

Luckily my taunt can't be resisted at the moment. Hit is capped. So everytime my taunt doesn't work, I know for sure, that the weird bug is working against me. A non-direct taunt sucks bad...

No problems at Bear yet, but Lynx-Boss, where you have to pick up the add really, really quick... you know... NNANANANANA... try later again... FU...

Roadrunner Mode activated (thanks to PoJ!) and grabbed that Lynx off of my healer.
Rhî

Postby Gerilith » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:13 am

Rhî wrote:Luckily my taunt can't be resisted at the moment. Hit is capped. So everytime my taunt doesn't work, I know for sure, that the weird bug is working against me. A non-direct taunt sucks bad...

No problems at Bear yet, but Lynx-Boss, where you have to pick up the add really, really quick... you know... NNANANANANA... try later again... FU...

Roadrunner Mode activated (thanks to PoJ!) and grabbed that Lynx off of my healer.

/tar spirit
/cast Judgement

SoR always up, animation, makro ;)
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Rhî » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:30 am

Yeah, I've made a macro. But these kitties are so damn fast... But thats offtopic.
Rhî

Postby Stylaan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:49 am

Halazzi and Nalorakk are the only ones that can't crush. Jan'alai, Akil'zon, Malacrass and Zul'jin can all crush.
Stylaan

Postby utena » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:11 pm

First time tanking, kill on second attempt.

First time was an instant wipe because the healers didn't truly understand the potential of 3200 damage per second from bleeds in conjunction with 5000 damage melee hits. They were reactively healing. Didn't work.

How it worked:
Prot war tanked troll form for the mangle. I tanked the bear for bleed.

Why? 5/5 Ardent Defender, baby. Bleeds will never leapfrog that.

Absolutely key on the success: resto durid stacking the HoT's right before the transition, and keeping the tanks topped off in case of silence.

Tanking this isn't hard. I switched out some avoidance gear (since he can't crush) and threw on more +STA gear. All that matters in this fight is +STA and Armor -- ideal for a bare durid... =/

Oh, and definitely give +WIS to your healers. The Holy Priest went through 4 mana pots, and still went OOM around 15%.
utena

PreviousNext

Return to Zul'aman