Remove Advertisements

[10] Lord Marrowgar damage spikes?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Lord Marrowgar damage spikes?

Postby GothicPL » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:20 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:Lord Marrowgar will now do significantly less melee damage in both the 10 player normal and 10 player heroic difficulty.

This is good news. Tank damage in this fight was overtuned to the point where a 10 man geared group of players would lose one of the tanks if a healer gets bone spiked and tank CDs are not available.

Looking forward to progressing past this boss tonight.
GothicPL

Postby hoho » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:23 pm

This should also make it not so horrible when pugging.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Shathus » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:34 pm

While still anecdotal, we did one group last Friday and 1 shotted Marrowgar, and a 2nd group went on Sunday night and wiped for 2 hours. The tanks in group 2 had probably ~5k less health than group 1, so this combined with the 'bug' would lead me to believe it still hadn't been fixed as on Sunday (US server).

We have a group going in tonight, and will be interesting to see how hard he's hitting. I totally want to try solo tanking this guy heh.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Arathieu » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:16 pm

I don't see how this fight was a gear check at all. We did this with me MT and an OT wearing a mix of Triumph badge gear and blues. Yes - blue's (Cloak, Boots and 1 ring i believe).

My gear is by no means impressive: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Korbain

I was using the entry level T9 shoulders/chest and the 10(N) shield of Anub at the start of the run. Can't link the OT because it was her alt spec and she is back to Ret now.

Initially we tried it with 2 healers - Priest / Shaman. We almost got it, but when one of the healers got spiked it just wasn't possible to keep the tanks up.

Brought in an alt tree and i don't think i ever dipped below 50%.

This was on Saturday, pre-nerf.

If you were wearing anything worthy of entering this zone and had issues then you need to look to either your OT (did they know what 'stack on the MT' means) or your healers (if you had 3, there was no reason to have issues).
Arathieu

Postby inthedrops » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:38 pm

Well, the standard assumptions always apply for these discussions:

1. Gear matters.
2. Skill and experience matters.
3. Raid composition matters.
4. Luck matters.
5. Proper execution matters.

High end guilds can get a lot done with less. But there are a large variety of players that visit the forums here.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby glorfindell » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:07 pm

Nikachelle wrote:I found this:

It is entirely possible to single tank Marrowgar, in 10man, should the tank be sufficiently geared. In 3.3(a) Marrowgar's damage was further reduced, making this an even more viable strategy. Be advised that although this frees up another DPS in your 10man raid, the tank will take heavy damage.

Our 3.3a patch, on the EU side, went in last night at about 6 am server time.

(Makes me feel a bit better since I was worried I was suddenly arguing that I'd done the "original" mode when in reality I'd only done the nerfed version. Thankfully, that's not the case.)

Hmm, we downed Marrowgar on Tuesday the 8th, so it looks like I owe my healers a big "atta boy". I'm in a mix of 232/245 with dual brewfest trinkets (I can switch one out for the 245 Eitrigg's Oath, but I wasn't 100% sure going in that this fight would have little to no unavoidable damage), so it's not like I'm uber geared. I believe Ardent Defender procced twice during the first attempt, we lost our better-geared DK MT fairly early and I solo tanked it to about 30%. IIRC My death log showed something like a 24k saber lash and a 22k saber lash hitting within .9 seconds of eachother, so I would definitely not consider solo-tanking the fight how it was.

I don't think AD procced at all on the kill though (we stacked quite a bit better :P), so with this change I think we may try solo-tanking him tonight.
glorfindell

Postby vevay » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:15 am

we wiped on marrowgar quite a bit... but what's funny during on the kill we got on thurs 10th Dec, our holy pally got bone spike graveyarded 5 times, our resto shaman for it twice and our resto druid got it twice....

i was like cussing RNG as it seemed that his BSG kept targeting our healers -_-, i was really worried that me and my OT would die... funnily we managed to down him. guess our healers really stepped up the game for this kill. good job i say!
vevay

Postby Niinbob » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:01 am

Taking this post-nerf was laughable, he was meleeing me for 7-9k and sablelash for the same (200% melee split between 2 tanks, should be the same)
Niinbob

Postby Shathus » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:03 am

We did this again last night and it seemed pretty easy. I didn't seem to take any hit greater than 8-8.5k that I remember (sorry, no logs). I also had on some of my armor pieces (2 rings, weapon and Glyph) so I was at 33k+ armor to help mitigate as well.

Unfortunately I don't remember what I was getting hit for last week to compare either, but just wanted to share what I had since there's been the discussion of the damage reduction.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby glorfindell » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:33 am

Shathus wrote:We did this again last night and it seemed pretty easy. I didn't seem to take any hit greater than 8-8.5k that I remember (sorry, no logs). I also had on some of my armor pieces (2 rings, weapon and Glyph) so I was at 33k+ armor to help mitigate as well.

Unfortunately I don't remember what I was getting hit for last week to compare either, but just wanted to share what I had since there's been the discussion of the damage reduction.

Definitely a lot less tank damage this week. We didn't end up solo-tanking it since we only brought 2 healers. Turned out to be a good thing since our priest died at about 40% (think it was to a spike, but somehow we still go the Boned! achievement) and our holy pally had to solo heal the rest of the fight.
glorfindell

Postby kysu » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:55 am

Here are some numbers to help you out.

Solo tanked 10m: ~DTPS 4,520 Total Dmg taken 894,871
Saber Lash: Miss 44% Mitigated 14.3%
Max hit 18820
Avg hit 14396
min hit 2255

Melee: Miss 42.8% Mitigated 27.7%
Max hit 11252
Avg hit 6458
min hit 1480

We solo tanked this because the 2nd tank was a warrior and our experience with warriors have been they getting bitched slapped. The parse's don't lie even with = geared war.

Edit: Here is a damage taken Graph also to help

Image Image
kysu

Postby Threatco » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:48 pm

NERFED TO THE GROUND!!!

Now hits like a wet noodle on Naxx geared tanks, and is tauntable. All tank's do is taunt as he stops spinning so he has the fixate debuff, easy as pie. The spin is also exactly timed by DBM (didn't seem to be updated last week)
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Draslin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:26 am

We run into big survivability problems in 25, but not in 10. I've solo tanked this for a good portion of the fight when our warrior tank has gibbed (warrior tanks and blood dk's are both suboptimal to tank this fight, from what I can tell - but we upgraded and now only use paladins to tank our 10 man run). From the recount analysis I've done on tank gibbing, it seems to be mostly a skill thing.

Coldflame doesn't hit hard, but Deadly Boss Mods doesn't tell you to move until the first tick. If you move as soon as you see the blue, you can easily not take any damage from it.

I notice when my cotanks don't move fast, and i tell them that they need to move faster. Coldflame + Saber Lash can do a very serious amount of damage. We stack dps in the box so the tanks are responsible for avoiding coldflame. Make sure your tanks understand that standing in coldflame without a good cooldown (AMS) is a bad plan. To mitigate frost damage from coldflame, I usually have a ret pally throw up frost resist aura, or a shaman drop frost resist totem.

For Heals, this fight kind of feels like fusion punch, except constant. Your healers can't wait for the tanks to take damage. Spam Spam Spam Spammity Spam Spam those heals.

For the DPS, you need to establish the IRON FIST rule: If you don't dps spikes, you sit out of the raid. This was the only way I could get my dps to do it right.

For the tanks, if you're noticing the gibbing happening right after bonestorm, make sure you have your tanks stacking throughout the fight, and if need be, popping shield block / unbreakable armor / bone shield right after the lashes start coming.

I require all of my raiders to have a runspeed talent or enchant - you should as well. 8% runspeed from Tuskarr's Vitality / Boar's Speed / Cat's Swiftness is so very much better than any other boot enchant.
Draslin

Previous

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel