how much threat do you pull?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: how much threat do you pull?

Postby J3m » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:18 am

I'm in T8/T9/Batchgear (little ToC-gear too). Unfortunately I only look for threat if someone catches on which is not that often (warlocks in 5mans usually). But I saw it peek to 21k tps and I guess the average is about 8k-9k. In my weekly S3D speedkill I do enough threat to hold aggro against 8 people doing about 5-6k dps (using Libram of Valiance here, and I'm still a believer in Mongoose).
Tajem@Kargath(EU)
J3m

Postby snoweagle » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:36 am

I'm sure its posted elsewhere but just for convenience

http://rehfeld.us/wow/tps/

iirc it takes a wws parse and runs your dps through the proper threat amplification math for your class.
snoweagle
Maintankadonor

Postby Tubben » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:40 am

snoweagle wrote:I'm sure its posted elsewhere but just for convenience

http://rehfeld.us/wow/tps/

iirc it takes a wws parse and runs your dps through the proper threat amplification math for your class.

Yes, just need something like this for Worldoflogs.com - wowwebstats is dead.
Tubben

Postby jere » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:01 am

Just as a note, some of his threat calculations are off. A lot of the mana gains he listed don't actually generate threat (at least according to the ingame threat API). Divine Plea does, but BoSan, SA, etc. do not generate threat as of 3.2
jere

Postby Auroris » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:35 am

I would love to post some logs. Tell my guild to run them. I've always wanted to flaunt my logs. ;3
"Someday the Glory will Fade and only Memories will remain."
Auroris

Postby jere » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:53 am

It's actually kind of fun. I know back in the day, I used to scower the old Gorefiend log posts trying to fine tune my rotation. It's a little tougher to improve now adays because rotations are mostly fixed, but sometimes you can pull little tricks that make a big difference simply by looking at someone else's stuff and picking up small things you didn't think of.
jere

Postby chrisronline » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:08 pm

Here is my parse from Twins (which of course is not a normal fight by any means) but it does show that in certain situations, those crazy 15k+ reports are possible

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/de ... 560#threat
chrisronline

Postby xstratax » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:55 am

Anytime I talk "sustained" TPS with my Guild, Its usually the final number Tankadin TPS shows (though ive found it can be pretty inaccurate, as it "pauses" data collection at times, idk why)

Based on comments so far I would guess that this is actually average TPS rather than Sustained. Anyways my average in Heroics is about 4 - 5k, and 6 - 7k in 10 mans, no gimmicks and rarely do I have a Hunter or Rogue for TotT or MD.

I admit my rotation is aweful, as I just seem to always fall out of 969, and dont tab target (tab targetting doesnt seem to work right for me, and often reqires I spam th ekey to get any reaction)

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=straata
This is my all the time gear, no threat set.
xstratax
Maintankadonor

Postby ítank » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:14 am

I recently have been having some threat problems too.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... %C3%8Dtank

I honestly am lost for what i am doing wrong. I have my rotation down pat, RF is up... etc. Is dps really just that high? i have ret pallies and ferals riding my ass.
"Dear guild, I missed you last night, waited and waited, hoped we could have a night of fun, Maybe tomorrow then? around 7? XOXO"
~Jetcola.

<3 stimutacs
ítank

Postby Iselian » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:48 am

The only thing I could see off the bat for you, Itank, is that your hit might be a little low. I've been known to see an occasional hit/stamina gem in my gear whenever my hit got to double-digits, as long as I felt OK with my health.

Ferals are notorious for threat problems. I've a feral friend who recently started playing again, farmed heroics 'til his eyes bled and has geared considerably, but still is a good half a tier below me at least. He'll give me a good push for threat, assuming I'm tab-targetting in a heroic pack.

Ret is probably just "pulling" from DS and SoComm hitting damn near everything in a 5man's trash. I'm giving some hard thought to snagging SoComm myself for that.

Maybe drop the +defense gems? (You're well beyond your minimum and the avoidance benefit is next to none) You could replace them with hit/stamina gems if you like the socket bonuses.
Iselian

Postby ítank » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:03 am

I'm really just talking about raids, like on gormok people catch me fast. I used to be untouchable on threat.

sadly def gems are nessesary, those peices i use in my unhitable set for anub adds :(
"Dear guild, I missed you last night, waited and waited, hoped we could have a night of fun, Maybe tomorrow then? around 7? XOXO"
~Jetcola.

<3 stimutacs
ítank

Postby Meloree » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:16 am

ítank wrote:I'm really just talking about raids, like on gormok people catch me fast. I used to be untouchable on threat.

sadly def gems are nessesary, those peices i use in my unhitable set for anub adds :(

Post a parse. It should be easy to establish from the data where the issues are.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:12 pm

My gear has enough defense that I can exchange my Titanguard for a DPS axe of the same ilevel. Since the weapon has agility on it, I can choose to lose a small amount of avoidance (1%?) in exchange for some extra armor and a fair bit of extra threat. Still not sure if it's a good idea, but the loss of TG's defense doesn't seem significant compared to a sizeable TPS increase.
Kelaan

Postby Wrathy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:08 am

Kelaan wrote:My gear has enough defense that I can exchange my Titanguard for a DPS axe of the same ilevel. Since the weapon has agility on it, I can choose to lose a small amount of avoidance (1%?) in exchange for some extra armor and a fair bit of extra threat. Still not sure if it's a good idea, but the loss of TG's defense doesn't seem significant compared to a sizeable TPS increase.

Swapping a high TPS, non tanking, weapon for more threat is something I do all the time, however I would never advise to do it on a progression fight / non farmed fight. For that you should probably still be wearing your tanking weapon for the extra survival. I wrote about the merits of threat weapons here if you want more information.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Anorian » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:16 am

Swapping my 1.6 for a 2.6 wep and equiping DMC:G grants me about 1k tps, atleast thats what it feels like, touching 10k tps in 25 mans. tanked a few mobs in my HC set in 10 man lst night, doing 7k dps in aoe packs and 15k ish tps on single mobs is quite lulzy, the warrior tank specced fury out of pure boredom.
Anorian

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations