Remove Advertisements

A question about gemming

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

A question about gemming

Postby twistedundead » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:57 pm

So recently I had a debate with a friend about gemming, about how it's important to always dodge gem over parry gem, in fact he said to never parry gem as it's harmful. I tried explaining that with an expertise cap that you take away the boss parry and therefore your own swings will hit (not giving you the chance to parry only to be parried by the boss for another, faster blow).

Just curious if I'm crazy on that issue or if I'm in the right train of thought there. It was my understanding that with diminishing returns and such it's better to hold an even dodge/parry with a lower block value to reach to 102.4% mitigation (which isn't necessary any more but helpful).

Thanks for the feedback, and figured that this isn't like a "I'm tanking such a boss on such an instance super ultra hard mode talent/gear specialization advanced training advice"- therefore it is here :P
twistedundead

Re: A question about gemming

Postby vegardhv » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:49 am

twistedundead wrote:So recently I had a debate with a friend about gemming, about how it's important to always dodge gem over parry gem, in fact he said to never parry gem as it's harmful. I tried explaining that with an expertise cap that you take away the boss parry and therefore your own swings will hit (not giving you the chance to parry only to be parried by the boss for another, faster blow).

Parry isn't harmful, it's just my understanding you gain more avoidance from dodge than from parry, unless you got _a lot_ of dodge compared to parry (formula somewhere in some thread on this forum).

I don't see how dodge/parry gems relate to expertise though. Maybe there's something I'm missing. Expertise isn't something you want to gem for - it's not a terribly bad stat though as you increase threat somewhat, and negates some bosses' ability to parry you and thereby gain parry haste.

twistedundead wrote:Just curious if I'm crazy on that issue or if I'm in the right train of thought there. It was my understanding that with diminishing returns and such it's better to hold an even dodge/parry with a lower block value to reach to 102.4% mitigation (which isn't necessary any more but helpful).

Thanks for the feedback, and figured that this isn't like a "I'm tanking such a boss on such an instance super ultra hard mode talent/gear specialization advanced training advice"- therefore it is here :P

I don't think it's clever to hold an even dodge/parry. Dodge can be a lot higher than parry and you'd still gain more avoidance from a dodge gem than a parry gem.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:15 am

1.8 : 1.2 : 1

dodge : defense : parry
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Alpha » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:35 am

Pick something that scales with kings!

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/guides/theorycraft/get-the-hell-out-of-dodge

I'd go with agility any day, if you're going for avoidance. If you got insanely high dodge, compared to parry, like the previous posts indicated, you CAN gem parry, but I wouldn't do it :-P

// Alpha
Alpha

Return to Basic Training & Talents