Final 15% on Leotheras

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Final 15% on Leotheras

Postby Lazenby » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:43 am

So hes the last boss left for my guild in SSC apart from Vashi and wev'e been working on him for about a week. I started of OT'ing him but after a couple of goes i got asked to MT him as i was getting most of the aggro and repositioning him after every WW anyway. We have a full 365 FR (Soulink) Warlock who is looking after the demon phase.

Last night we got him to 15 % 4 times with a full raid, the first couple of times no one stayed frosty and we lost aggro etc and myself and the warlock died. The last couple of times we got him to 1% and 2% but we kept losing the warlock due to the debuff and healers were saying he was unhealable. I was fine with the human form but once the demon starts running around killing people we were fooked.

Now i understand the fight a bit better does anyone have any tips on positioning the two of them or i think i may have read in an other thread that before they split you can nuke hard for a few seconds? Also is it possible to keep the lock up ?
Lazenby

Re: Final 15% on Leotheras

Postby Galtea » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:59 am

Lazenby wrote:So hes the last boss left for my guild in SSC apart from Vashi and wev'e been working on him for about a week. I started of OT'ing him but after a couple of goes i got asked to MT him as i was getting most of the aggro and repositioning him after every WW anyway. We have a full 365 FR (Soulink) Warlock who is looking after the demon phase.

Last night we got him to 15 % 4 times with a full raid, the first couple of times no one stayed frosty and we lost aggro etc and myself and the warlock died. The last couple of times we got him to 1% and 2% but we kept losing the warlock due to the debuff and healers were saying he was unhealable. I was fine with the human form but once the demon starts running around killing people we were fooked.

Now i understand the fight a bit better does anyone have any tips on positioning the two of them or i think i may have read in an other thread that before they split you can nuke hard for a few seconds? Also is it possible to keep the lock up ?

I try to save a on-use spell dmg trinket and avenging wrath for when he gets in his last 15%. Yes, you can absolutely keep the Warlock up, and you need to burst your threat a lot initially without using concecrate on the demon, so you don't agro both forms. Use avenger's shield or hammer of wrath + judgement to pull it onto you after a WW and just keep bursting your threat. Tell your ranged dps to not stop attacking till there's only 2-3 sec left on WW, so you can maximize dps, since it's a dps race at this point.
Galtea

Postby Rehlachs- » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:04 am

The warlock-tank will die, if you can't take Leotheras down quick enough. The demon's debuff will stack too high making your warlock a one-shot (depends on your warlock's gear and specc how many debuffs he can take without risking to be one hitted by the demon).

I for myself activate Avenging Wrath after the first Whirlwind Leotheras does after getting him to 15%. At this point hopefully most damage dealers are still alive and with AW they can do their job without heavy thread issues. Leo will be down to 8-9% after this phase and if no one screws up the next WWs Leo should be down before the 4th WW.

Your damage classes have to be aware that they have to watch their thread carefully in the split phase and that there's still a aggro reset after the whirlwinds. Some players are unable to figure that out themselves.. your guild kills Hydross, so most of your guys should know how this aggro reset-thingie works.
Rehlachs-

Postby Gracerath » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:48 am

The biggest tip I can give is DON'T PANIC. The fight is exactly the same as before except a warlock will be tanking the demon and you'll have two or so less healers since they'll be spamming the warlock.

DPS needs to watch their aggro after a whirlwind. Him running all over the place does the dps no good when he runs over to an overzealous caster and one shots them. They can get in way more casts when you treat it like a normal phase instead of everyone just trying to burn him down.

If you bring him to 15% while in demon form, instead of banishing himself and becomming immune while the demon form seperates, he'll just sit there and still take damage but not do anything. This is free time to DPS, typically lasting 10 or so seconds. When you see the demon pop out, stop dps. Have your hunters ready to misdirect, have a judgement ready, use hammer of wrath liberally. I use this to get aggro after a whirlwind rather than the frisbee because its a faster cast and way less mana, post 20% life anyway.

For your warlock tank, depending on how many debuffs he has, we have a holy paladin with a soul stone DI the warlock during the split to get rid of debuffs and then the paladin pops back up with soul stone. All of our wipes while learning him was due to two things. DPS not stopping between phases or the warlock dying shortly after the 15% split because of too many debuffs and too much damage. Also if possible, try to keep the human form well away from the warlock tank so there is less chance for him to get pasted by a whirlwind.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Rehlachs- » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:03 am

Gracerath wrote:DPS needs to watch their aggro after a whirlwind. Him running all over the place does the dps no good when he runs over to an overzealous caster and one shots them. They can get in way more casts when you treat it like a normal phase instead of everyone just trying to burn him down.

Exactly. It's indeed a damage race against the number of debuffs on your warlock, but for example dead mages don't deal any damage at all. If you have about 2:00 or 2:30 left when Leotheras enters the 15% stage, you shouldn't have any problems bringing him down - aslong your casters don't freak out. With almost any raid members alive you won't need more than 3 or 4 Whirlwinds for your kill.
Rehlachs-

Postby Arthran » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:56 am

Rehlachs- wrote:Exactly. It's indeed a damage race against the number of debuffs on your warlock, but for example dead mages don't deal any damage at all. If you have about 2:00 or 2:30 left when Leotheras enters the 15% stage, you shouldn't have any problems bringing him down - aslong your casters don't freak out. With almost any raid members alive you won't need more than 3 or 4 Whirlwinds for your kill.

Agreed 100% here, I tank demon phase as fire res tank. We've only killed him a few times but after many many attempts i can tell you the real key is to get an early lead. always try to stay 30secs to a min ahead. This way whe he hits 15% and splits the dps have the time to not panic and just nuke him down.

Our first kill we was 45seconds ahead of enrage timer. Last night it was 5 seconds with alot more deaths. Early survival of dps is the key
Arthran

Postby Rhaenys » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:52 am

Are your warriors Intervening the Demon tank to keep the stacks lower? We do this the whole fight, and it helps a ton.

I am the pally who supplies the FR aura for the demon tank, so i build secondary aggro on the demon during that last 15%, incase the demon tank dies, which has helped us at times get that last 1-2%.
Rhaenys

Postby Lazenby » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:08 am

Thanks for the help

Killed him on our second attempt last night using a Di on the lock and staying frosty on the dps. Last 1% seemed to take forever though.

Im beginning to like SSC as i MT Leo, OT the Hunter and his pet on Fathom Lord and also look after the murlocs on Morogrim. No comments now when i aye on warrior loot.
Lazenby

Postby Dorvan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:16 am

Rhaenys wrote:Are your warriors Intervening the Demon tank to keep the stacks lower? We do this the whole fight, and it helps a ton.

Doesn't intervene only work on physical attacks?
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Bosutei » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:22 pm

Dorvan wrote:
Rhaenys wrote:Are your warriors Intervening the Demon tank to keep the stacks lower? We do this the whole fight, and it helps a ton.

Doesn't intervene only work on physical attacks?

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=3411#comments

It works on spells as well, but it will often leave you even further from the caster than you were before the intervene, which can suck. Sometimes, intercept is better, as it will interrupt the cast, and put you at the mobs feet.

I will usually intercept ranged/caster mobs and intervene melee mobs.
Bosutei

Postby Rhaenys » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:30 am

Intervene, intercept, I dont know, thought it was Intervene as they run towards the demon tank. Not that familiar with Wars. One of them does work for sure, makes Leo so easy when we have 3-4 wars doin it to our demon tank.
Rhaenys

Postby Dorvan » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:46 am

Bosutei wrote:
http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=3411#comments

It works on spells as well, but it will often leave you even further from the caster than you were before the intervene, which can suck. Sometimes, intercept is better, as it will interrupt the cast, and put you at the mobs feet.

I will usually intercept ranged/caster mobs and intervene melee mobs.

2 comments down someone says the exact opposite, and the skill specifically says "next melee or ranged attack" (ranged attack generally refers to physical attacks).
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Re: Final 15% on Leotheras

Postby Vic » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:47 am

Lazenby wrote:So hes the last boss left for my guild in SSC apart from Vashi and wev'e been working on him for about a week. I started of OT'ing him but after a couple of goes i got asked to MT him as i was getting most of the aggro and repositioning him after every WW anyway. We have a full 365 FR (Soulink) Warlock who is looking after the demon phase.

We get a paladin healer with SS (who's usually healing that warlock) to DI the warlock and take the SS, warlock them removes DI and continues attacking the demon
Pally / 70 / Stormscale
Vic

Postby Blaen99 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:47 pm

Just killed him last night the first time with our guild.

2-shot him - got him to 9% or so on our first attempt.

However, I found an incredible "trick" to it not mentioned by anyone here - below 15%, hammer of wrath is your new god.

It's so incredibly useful for getting him back I cannot stress it enough.
Blaen99

Postby Worldie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:44 pm

Blaen99 wrote:However, I found an incredible "trick" to it not mentioned by anyone here - below 15%, hammer of wrath is your new god.

You are perfectly correct.

Avenger Shield + Hammer of Wrath + Judgement = happy DPS
Add wings and you might be outdpsing them o.o
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Next

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern