Remove Advertisements

Problems Tanking Prince

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Problems Tanking Prince

Postby Doloth » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:17 am

I have been gearing up in heroics and spent a little time in kara in a few runs with people just starting out. Finally I got into a good raiding guild and they got me into a full kara clear with another guild (they were full for this week). This guild has it on farm, and yes we did one-shot most of the bosses with me MTing. I even MT Nightbane, which impressed the raid, as they had never had anything but a warrior do it.

But then came Prince. Fully raid buffed I had just under 18k hp and 16.5k armor, as well as 25% dodge, 18% parry, and 22% block. I pull him, move him into position, and stage one is not even a problem. One shadow priest died twice due to an infernal landing on him during an enfeeble, but after those two times we had no deaths until I died. My deaths for the 3 attempts we made with me tanking ended shortly after the transition to phase 2.

I had 3 healers on me, 2 kara-geared and 1 pre-kara pallies, and as soon as phase 2 started I disengaged and hit my ironshield pot. I was extremely far ahead in threat (55k threat and I didn't even use a spell damage weapon) and so I just hit consecrate and exorcism, keeping holy shield up.

Suddenly my health plummets and I die, watching as Prince goes and wipes the raid. I check my combat log and I find that it was the dreaded thrash, I was taking 2-3.5k hits (370 blocked), and right as I died I took a 4.5k crush. Yes, I said a crushing blow, with holy shield up. Also, I during the 5 seconds before my death, I received 1 holy light and 2 flash of lights.

After this wipe (our third attempt) the raid decided to let the T5 warrior (who had 1500 more health than me) tank him and set me back to heal in my healing gear. We then one-shotted him with ease and I am somewhat frustrated because I heard that prince was one of the few fights that pallies did better than warriors in. Please help me find out what I did wrong so I can do better this week, as I really want to be a reliable MT for all of kara.
Doloth

Postby Magnusharkov » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:13 am

You had bad/lazy healers. Your gear is more than up to it and you did everything right.

Also 3 pallies is a bad healer setup for prince, no HoTs recieved during infernals repositioning.
Magnusharkov

Postby Brute » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:46 am

If the warrior is geared significantly better than you, he'd probably still be easier to heal.

Also, there's still a tiny chance to receive a crushing if you're uncrushable, I believe. You didn't say you were uncrushable but I'm assuming you were.

Finally, I agree with the above post. With your armor/hp and avoidance stats, you should have made it through the fight had your healers not slacked off. Maybe they were running from a bad infernal drop or maybe they just got lazy.

It IS frustrating to no end to be yoinked and the raid then one-shot the boss. Its happened to me too. I let my holy shield down for like 1/2 a second one prince fight a while back and he crushed me 3 times in that span, each for around 6k. I didn't get to tank him for a long time after that, but when I finally did we one-shotted him.
Brute

Postby Garov » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:18 am

Biggest tip for Price was one I read on these boards. In Phase2 completely disengage your auto attack. I judged on him during this phase and quickly turned off auto attack, but I'm not even sure that's necessary for keeping the agg on him. Your passive threat (holy shield, consecrate, ret aura) will easily keep him on you if you've built any type of lead on him in Phase1. I tanked him for the first time this past weekend and it went great. Took 2 wipes to do it, but that was because of poor positioning of the infernals. Sounds like you had even more hp than I did during my attempt too.
Garov

Postby Caitlyn » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:06 am

I just tanked him for the first time, in a PUG with much worse gear.
17k HP, 15k armor and a lousy ~92% avoidance WITH Holy Shield up :?
First try a half-a-sleep healer died to enfeeble/nova, but second try he went down.
I turned off autoattack during P2. Even if you don't have reckoning this is essential. Parries = faster swings = death. Aggro in no problem - holy shield, consecrate and exorcism is enough. You can judge too, just remember to turn off auto-attack immediately.
Caitlyn

Postby Bige » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:07 am

Also be sure that all of your melee is positioned behind Prince. If they aren't, they can be parried and you take the extra hits.
Bige

Postby Juliette » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:10 pm

He disengaged. I wished people would read 'Prince' threads first without jumping to conclusions and saying that the tank should disengage.
Juliette

Postby Andris » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:18 am

I got Prince on our 4th try Sunday night; I'm not sure if it was our DPS, or healers, or me, but I found the fight pretty fun, but not all that hard once I had it right.

If you look at wowwiki for the fight, there are two "nitches" on the left-hand side of the area where you can put the DPS/healers and the melee. I ended up tanking prince against the wall in the further nook, with our 2 melee (ret pally and feral druid). At the back, we had 1 hunter and 3 mages for DPS, and a resto shaman, Holy pally, and our RL, a well-geared Holy Priest.

Raid-buffed, I had 15.3k HP. I was running Devotion Aura and Sanctuary on myself, and had Kings and Wisdom (I think) from the other pallies. I did use Spicy Crawdad, a Flask of Fortification, Wizard Oil, and scrolls of Protection/Agility for extra buffs. No book, because we didn't find one on the way.

The first couple times we had problems with the Enfeeble/Shadow Nova taking out our melee (everyone's first attempt). I think people were holding back on DPS at first, too, because of the Enfeeble warnings. I was pretty worried when we only got him to 69% the first time. Fortunately, we got him to 46% the second time, and just below 40% the third time (Ardent Defender definitely saved my ass there, a bunch).

It's definitely your healers. The first three times, our priest was trying to cleanse the SW:P off of me, but dispel magic only has a 30-yard range, so every time Shadow Nova bumped me, Prince would move into his dispel range.

The last time, I told them not to worry about it, and I'd cleanse it myself. (I was shadow warded, for extra win.)

I'd never managed to get around to finding Ironshield pots, so I guess I lucked out a little bit. Still, we didn't have problems with infernals once everyone found their positions, and we were able to kill him pretty comfortably. (Everyone had mana left, and we only lost 2 -- the ret pally died at the start and then got combat-rezzed by the druid, then the druid died.)[/b]
Andris

Postby Vanifae » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:21 am

I hate my healers so I never disengage ever.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Bige » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:37 am

Andris wrote:...a resto shaman, Holy pally, and our RL, a well-geared Holy Priest.

The first three times, our priest was trying to cleanse the SW:P off of me, but dispel magic only has a 30-yard range, so every time Shadow Nova bumped me, Prince would move into his dispel range.

If for whatever reason you can't self-cleanse or you're in a group with someone else tanking, have your pally do the cleansing. Pally cleanse got bumped to 40 yds, priests' did not.
Bige

Postby Quean » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:06 pm

Andris wrote:If you look at wowwiki for the fight, there are two "nitches" on the left-hand side of the area where you can put the DPS/healers and the melee.

We tried this last week, and our melee got surrounded by infernals within the first 4 drops on 3 consecutive attempts :(
Quean

Postby Zhalseran » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:06 pm

I tried it a couple times and I was fine, but our melee got totally boned. Seeing as that attempt 3/5 DPS were melee, we decided to scrap that idea.
Zhalseran

Postby Ilara » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:50 pm

from the door, follow the right wall down to the indent, and face towards where hes tanking (should end up walking straight to you)
Thats where I tank him. I have the dps/healers spread out across the middle so they can traverse the arena better. Additionally we mark one member (ie warlock) who is the minimum distance away from the 'feeble. solves so many problems doing it this way rather than having everyone scramble.

I find this battle purely about luck, not skill. I one-shot him my first ever go due to infernal's landing in really lucky places. our next week we wiped a good 5 times due to crappy landings on me and group. If infernal's are ever the problem, realize that first.

IMO we have a major advantage over warriors in this fight for our holy shield, uncrushable makes it a lot easier on the healers. That said, we need to make sure to replace it instantly. reading your scenario, either at the time you were crushable, which you should look into your gear for holes, or you had just ended holy shield timer.
Thats happened to me a couple of times, unlucky enough to get that one smack in between it dropping and putting it back up that has ended it.

All you can really do now is let the warrior enjoy his epeen, look for potential flaws in your gear, and take on the lesson for next time.
Guillex wrote:chop chop slap chop slap slap /b/ fap fap.... gogo
Ilara

Postby Shakkra » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:54 am

Tanking prince, I simply stand on the right wall, just after the alcove, while the raid stays at the doors. I find that its much more difficult to a run around than to simply stay put and heal through. Mind you, our healers certainly arent overgeared. Usually oneshot him.

Anyway, I should probably stop attacking during phase 2 too, sounds like a good idea.
Shakkra

Postby Shakkra » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:54 am

Shakkra wrote:Anyway, I should probably stop attacking during phase 2 too, sounds like a good idea.

Yes, it definately works wonders. A LOT less spike damage and threat wasnt a problem either.
Shakkra

Next

Return to Karazhan