Remove Advertisements

Lynx Lord Halazzi

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby sindorei » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:21 pm

if you have 20k hp, AD is extremely useful for this fight, i would say both pally and druid are good for lynx, but warrior will have a harder time to tank him if eats a full lash.
sindorei

Postby Scotthew » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:02 pm

We've had major issues with Halazzi during our two nights of attempts, and I'm at a loss of what can be done.

In trying to research the boss all I come up with is severely conflicted reports of his Saber Lash mechanics. Some say Saber Lash is capped at two targets, while other say that it can be split between all targets in range. Some say that one tank dodging a Saber Lash will cause the other tank to take it for full force, while others say that damage is determined prior to avoidance. Some say Saber Lash can be blocked, parried, and missed, while others say it can only be dodged. Some say that Saber Lash is threat dependent, while other say it isn't. Some say hit box sizes are causing issues, while others report no problems with druids and Taurens. Are you seeing the problem here? With all these conflicted reports, how am I supposed to determine a reliable strategy for my guild?

What I do know is this: Saber Lash is wiping our raid.

For our eight or so attempts we've been using a druid as our Spirit of Lynx tank and Saber Lash soaker with myself, prot paladin, as the main Halazzi tank. Gear should not be an issue. Both tanks have 18-20k HP and our healers are around 1700-1900 +healing. We clear KZ and the first two bosses of ZA with very little effort these days, but when we get to Halazzi it feels like we're jumping from Onyxia to Vaelastrasz.

Almost every wipe has been due to me taking a full force Saber Lash for ~17,000. Every time that has happened tank positioning appeared fine. Some of the Saber Lashes were in fact dodge by the druid tank, but I can't confirm if they were the same Saber Lashes that killed me. During all of our Nalorakk fights I've never taken a full force Brutal Swipe and we use the same tank set up. So if bear form hit box is the issue with Saber Lash, why is it not an issue for the Bear boss?

Our plan of right now is to go back this weekend with several people parsing combat logs and me running a Fraps of the positioning, combat log, and Omen. I'm hoping we'll be able to learn something then, but if anyone here has additional, preferably documented, information I'd really appreciate advice.

-Scotthew
Scotthew

Postby solinari » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:00 pm

I believe there are hitbox issues but I can't prove it. However, I have a WWS log that shows it can be dodged and the other tank will not take the full brunt of it when that happens: http://wowwebstats.com/3y4hjjgoagjqs?bl ... aa=a&fit=0

Hope this clear things up a little.
solinari

Postby Vanifae » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:18 pm

solinari wrote:I believe there are hitbox issues but I can't prove it. However, I have a WWS log that shows it can be dodged and the other tank will not take the full brunt of it when that happens: http://wowwebstats.com/3y4hjjgoagjqs?bl ... aa=a&fit=0

Hope this clear things up a little.

Hitbox issues are well known, similar things happen on Sharhaz or however you spell it in BT.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Vanifae » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:21 pm

I did this with a druid offtank, your best bet is to have the bear stand on top of you, sometimes standing side by side does not work if the range is just too large.

Other then that I believe it is capped at 2 people.

Hitbox is an issue, and I have my WWS where I dodged Saber Lash and the Druid tank took a 7k hit not a full one. As a matter of fact pasted the last bit of the parse here in this thread.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby sindorei » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:02 pm

Scotthew wrote:We've had major issues with Halazzi during our two nights of attempts, and I'm at a loss of what can be done.

In trying to research the boss all I come up with is severely conflicted reports of his Saber Lash mechanics. Some say Saber Lash is capped at two targets, while other say that it can be split between all targets in range. Some say that one tank dodging a Saber Lash will cause the other tank to take it for full force, while others say that damage is determined prior to avoidance. Some say Saber Lash can be blocked, parried, and missed, while others say it can only be dodged. Some say that Saber Lash is threat dependent, while other say it isn't. Some say hit box sizes are causing issues, while others report no problems with druids and Taurens. Are you seeing the problem here? With all these conflicted reports, how am I supposed to determine a reliable strategy for my guild?

What I do know is this: Saber Lash is wiping our raid.

For our eight or so attempts we've been using a druid as our Spirit of Lynx tank and Saber Lash soaker with myself, prot paladin, as the main Halazzi tank. Gear should not be an issue. Both tanks have 18-20k HP and our healers are around 1700-1900 +healing. We clear KZ and the first two bosses of ZA with very little effort these days, but when we get to Halazzi it feels like we're jumping from Onyxia to Vaelastrasz.

Almost every wipe has been due to me taking a full force Saber Lash for ~17,000. Every time that has happened tank positioning appeared fine. Some of the Saber Lashes were in fact dodge by the druid tank, but I can't confirm if they were the same Saber Lashes that killed me. During all of our Nalorakk fights I've never taken a full force Brutal Swipe and we use the same tank set up. So if bear form hit box is the issue with Saber Lash, why is it not an issue for the Bear boss?

Our plan of right now is to go back this weekend with several people parsing combat logs and me running a Fraps of the positioning, combat log, and Omen. I'm hoping we'll be able to learn something then, but if anyone here has additional, preferably documented, information I'd really appreciate advice.

-Scotthew

this happened to our guild warrior OT(18khpbuffed), he got 1 shot twice both under a min. if you have druid tanks and geared are full kara/badge epiced, you should let him tank.
sindorei

Postby Gracerath » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:41 am

This took us two tries to kill and I believe we 8 or 9 manned most of the fight. Lightning totem took out our mage on accident :(

I was the Lynx OT while our druid was the MT. I stood right on top of the druid to take the lashes. The Lynx doesn't seem to hit particularly hard at all. I just watched the timer for when the Lynx was about to spawn and dropped a consecrate to pick him up with ease (thus the choice to have me OT him rather than the druid).

Are you guys dpsing down the Lynx or just focusing on the boss? The strats I read before was to focus on the Lynx then hit the boss. We instead ignored the Lynx for the most part and just kept on the boss. I dunno if this is the way it is supposed to be done or if we just drew out the fight longer than it needed to be but it worked well enough. Our healers never seemed to have any mana issues and truthfully, I thought the fight was pretty much cake. DPS down the totems, OT the Lynx and ignore him otherwise, DPS the boss when no totems are up.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Nebuchadneza » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:03 am

It's pretty much the same phase changes as Nightbane, where the add spawns at 75, 50 and 25%. The only thing which I didn't see mentioned here (I could have missed it) is to make sure you decurse the Flametongue debuff as fast as you can during this phase. Hopefully everyone who can decurse in any way actually has the mod to do it "whack-a-mole" style ;)

If you leave it tick out on your party members thats a whole lot of damage that nobody had to take in the first place. I don't know about you guys, but I see decursing as a major plus in having a prot pally around because you pretty much do it for free.

Our group used the "kill the pet" strat without major dramas.
Nebuchadneza

Postby Gerilith » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:06 am

It's like Mother, the tanks have to stand inside one another.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby adese » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:50 am

On our successful attempt, we killed the troll form, not the lynx. The warrior tank read that he thought the troll form has less armor than the lynx, so he should (in theory) go down faster. It probably doesn't matter too much which you do, however if you go for the troll DPS doesn't need to change their target to start dpsing him down.

I also was OT on the lynx add, and even with a consecrate down before he popped, he would still run for the healers a time or two. I made sure to have a JoR + taunt ready as well, just in case he started running off. Finally, making a /target macro that you can spam as he is about to pop helps a lot, too.
adese

Postby Aetherial » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:44 am

I've been MTing both forms (catching the lynx with Consecrate/JoR), with my OT standing on me during the humanoid phase to suck up Saber Lash damage.

We also DPS the humanoid during phase 2 as well and leave the lynx alone. We haven't pulled this off yet, but we were wondering if it's possible to kill the humanoid form during phase 2 if you have enough DPS, since it doesn't seem to be linked to % damage rather than a timer.
Aetherial

Postby corc » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:13 am

I wondered about that too...

I was part of a very late ZA run and everyone pretty much fell asleep with the cat up... who always got picked up by cons... and got the guy down to 15% or so until someone said, hey kill the cat! and then he went back to his other form. Then saber lash whacked me and they said ooo paly tanks suck, have the druid tank him. Kinda made me mad, every boss that pretty much happened--15% or so and I die and they switch to the druid.

sucks too when it's your friends putting you down :/
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Postby Vanifae » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:24 am

Aetherial wrote:I've been MTing both forms (catching the lynx with Consecrate/JoR), with my OT standing on me during the humanoid phase to suck up Saber Lash damage.

We also DPS the humanoid during phase 2 as well and leave the lynx alone. We haven't pulled this off yet, but we were wondering if it's possible to kill the humanoid form during phase 2 if you have enough DPS, since it doesn't seem to be linked to % damage rather than a timer.

Killing the Lynx is easier.
Vanifae

Postby Rasmfrackn » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:18 pm

As I understand it, the lynx spirit has like 220k or 250k hps. I know the troll goes down to about 450k hps for that phase. I never had the lynx targetted long enough for my mod to estimate its hitpoints for myself, but that's what I've read somewhere.

I don't think that hp differential is enough to make killing the troll faster than killing the lynx. And you can't just outright kill him in the first split phase... they rejoin regardless of which you attack, from what I've read.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Nebuchadneza » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:00 pm

Being a Blood Elf, in addition to Consecrate, I usually judge Seal of Blood on adds you have to pick up mid fight, ie Hunter pet on Karathess and in this case the Lynx Spirit. As far as I know it cannot be resisted unless things have changed in this latest patch. After that you still have Avengers Shield to fall back on if he still gets away. (I normally OT so the our Warrior doesn't feel useless ;)) We can both hit around 19-20k health fully raid buffed.
Nebuchadneza

PreviousNext

Return to Zul'aman