Remove Advertisements

Threat Generation on Heroic Trash mobs

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Threat Generation on Heroic Trash mobs

Postby vegardhv » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:22 am

Remember also, that one melee can handle over-aggroing a single mob, as long as he's mail/plate - well at least I think so - as I've been running on my shaman I overaggro a lot and just focus down my target really fast. When tanks don't mark targets they can't expect me to not over-aggro. So if you don't mark, don't be surprised the dps over-aggro certain mobs.

If you use omen, or are certain you got some threat lead with just one target left at 40 % health, stun him and run towards next pack, dps will continue on your target and you'll get a head start on next pack.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:23 am

vegardhv wrote:Remember also, that one melee can handle over-aggroing a single mob, as long as he's mail/plate - well at least I think so - as I've been running on my shaman I overaggro a lot and just focus down my target really fast. When tanks don't mark targets they can't expect me to not over-aggro. So if you don't mark, don't be surprised the dps over-aggro certain mobs.

If you use omen, or are certain you got some threat lead with just one target left at 40 % health, stun him and run towards next pack, dps will continue on your target and you'll get a head start on next pack.

Can't bother attacking what the tank is attacking? That's bad behavior :/ It's a good habit to build especially when the group faces a nasty but unpredictable situation like "all snobolds are on the melee" and the difference between a wipe and a kill is someone saying "Assist me to kill the snobolds"
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby PTHAxys » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:24 am

Specifcally for heroics:

Use [Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous] so that it hits another target. Another simple thing which might be taken for granted is switching to Ret Aura, if you aren't already (and can get away with it). Maybe start with SoR for a bigger initial Judge, then go SoV.

I also have a Skull marking macro on my Z key so it's easy to do on the move--I'm a WASD mover, which also helps (i think). Once the mobs are grouped up, I also tab target to ensure that threat gets spread around as much as possible.

Then the flip side of the coin is the old addage: "If tank dies: healer fault. If healer dies: tank fault. If DPS dies: DPS fault." I'd just let the dps know that if they pull agro off you, then they are responsible for tanking that mob--"you pull it, you own it".

Aside from that, everything sounds OK (as said before). Just keep your taunts ready and practice makes perfect.
PTHAxys

Postby vegardhv » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:44 am

Snake-Aes wrote:Can't bother attacking what the tank is attacking? That's bad behavior :/ It's a good habit to build especially when the group faces a nasty but unpredictable situation like "all snobolds are on the melee" and the difference between a wipe and a kill is someone saying "Assist me to kill the snobolds"

I've tanked a lot, and I know how I want my dps to behave, I want them to burn down the adds as fast as possible, and that's not going to happen if I let them tab through 9 mobs looking for the one I have 20K threat lead on.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:38 pm

If there are nine mobs, they're probably non-elites and will die before you can hit Tab eight times. :) 4-5 is more realistic and it's not unreasonable to expect a gamer to have enough hand/eye coordination to click the appropriate nameplate in a group that size.
Arcand

Postby vegardhv » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:36 am

Arcand wrote:If there are nine mobs, they're probably non-elites and will die before you can hit Tab eight times. :) 4-5 is more realistic and it's not unreasonable to expect a gamer to have enough hand/eye coordination to click the appropriate nameplate in a group that size.

And the opposite isn't unreasonable either :)
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby phaqueue » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:07 pm

Honestly - I"ve been chain running heroics for the last week (since the patch made it easy) and have a few suggestions...

HoReck as you run in... doesn't matter if you immediately follow it with avenger's shield - but you are losing damage/threat if you aren't opening with it... the mobs aren't targeting you before you pull them - you get some free extra damage from pulling with it - take the free dmg...

AS when you get close, or to rein in casters - don't forget that when casters are silenced they run to you - it can be useful...

if you are having trouble with positioning of casters... have DKs pull them - many DKs are afraid to because tanks yell at them - I love it when DKs do - it's easy to just taunt back

If you're not CCing - I don't worry about which mob the DPS is on - the way I pull instances they are usually aoeing (I pull multi-groups/whole rooms most of the time) Grid is great for showing who has aggro... so is xperl - use those and your taunts and you'll be fine... also - remember HoP can save casters/healers who overaggro - it's easy to forget

Also, I have a macro set up that I'll hit when I'm pulling large groups/whole room...

/p I'm pulling the whole next room at once
/p Please count to 10 before you start to DPS
/p if you DPS before you get to ten - good luck!

seems to work - I usually have no problem with people pulling large groups off me - 10 seconds is long enough for a couple ticks of consecration and at least one hammer... with the other fired off shortly after that - between that and multiple taunts... people rarely die...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Anorian » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:47 am

Tab target a lot, try to get stacks of vengeance on all mobs, spread out your dmg hitting the main target with shor once and swapping to others is usually enough to keep aggro until dps nukes it down.

I can suggest using Tidyplates with threatmodule, the plates of mobs you don't have aggro on turn red and huge making it very easy to see and take action.
Anorian

Postby æ » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:51 pm

SoComm is a good alternative to SoV if you have good DPS.
10 SIN
20 GOTO HELL
æ

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents