[H] Halls of Reflection - Waves

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[H] Halls of Reflection - Waves

Postby Zaluthar » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:22 pm

I tried Halls of Reflection today. I had major difficulty picking up the mobs during the 4 waves. There are often 2 casters (1 hunter, 1 mage) and multiple melee mobs.

Hand of Reckoning is not enough to keep aggro on me. Avenger's Shield only hits 1 target. The range of our other abilities is too small. So how do you get aggro on all the mobs?
Zaluthar

Re: [H] Halls of Reflection - Waves

Postby Doogiehowser » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:22 pm

I've only done it once so my "expertise" is limited.

We found success tucking ourselves in a little corner on any of the side alcoves in the room. I had a wonderful rogue spamming FoK/ToT to help out but it really is chaos. I found my druid healer having lots of aggro due to the rolling HoTs.

Use LoS to your advantage and ask your dps to focus fire. We didn't AoE them down and it worked well. Have a kill order and stick to it.

Righteous Defense will be on constant cooldown. Same with your taunt.

Enjoy a very fun fight. Just be glad you aren't a druid trying to tank it.

(Just kidding about the druid thing. . .sorta)
Doogiehowser

Postby Thornir » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:21 pm

Doogiehowser wrote:I've only done it once so my "expertise" is limited.

We found success tucking ourselves in a little corner on any of the side alcoves in the room. I had a wonderful rogue spamming FoK/ToT to help out but it really is chaos. I found my druid healer having lots of aggro due to the rolling HoTs.

Use LoS to your advantage and ask your dps to focus fire. We didn't AoE them down and it worked well. Have a kill order and stick to it.

Righteous Defense will be on constant cooldown. Same with your taunt.

Enjoy a very fun fight. Just be glad you aren't a druid trying to tank it.

(Just kidding about the druid thing. . .sorta)

This.
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby Niinbob » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:49 am

I made sure to get the 2 melee mobs, had a hunter MD the other hunter to me and had all the DPS focus down the mage. I would grab the 2 melee mobs and take them to the hunter and let a DPS take the spells from the mage.

I just FFF one of the melee and feral charged the other one, when they both got close to me 1 swipe is enough to out aggro the healer pretty easily (we had a pally healer). If the mage was close I would taunt it just to force it to attack me for a few seconds but I didn't try and generate any threat on it.
Niinbob

Postby hoho » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:00 am

When healing it on priest I never got past second wave as our tank was some horrible DK that didn't get any threat on ranged mobs. I as healer was taking as much damage as the tank.

Later on I tanked it on my pala and it was relatively good. I didn't use any LoS, just taunted/shieldtossed melees and dragged them near ranged mobs. It was quite hectic but we only wiped once on last wave when one of our DPS DC'd and we couldn't kill them before next pack came.

So make sure grabbing all melee is #1 priority, ranged are relatively harmless, at least they don't oneshot clothies as melees do. Getting out of mages aoe is priority #2, your healer is already close to hearth attack, no reason to make it any harder.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby vegardhv » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:06 am

Zaluthar wrote:I tried Halls of Reflection today. I had major difficulty picking up the mobs during the 4 waves. There are often 2 casters (1 hunter, 1 mage) and multiple melee mobs.

Hand of Reckoning is not enough to keep aggro on me. Avenger's Shield only hits 1 target. The range of our other abilities is too small. So how do you get aggro on all the mobs?

Did this yesterday and wiped two times, it was much harder than I expected, after doing the normal version (on another character as dps, but still). I didn't have so much trouble picking up adds since, ever.. I think there were like 3-4 ranged mobs in one wave, like 1-2 hunters and 1-2 casters, I could be mistaken though. Absolute hell, but next time I'm better prepared..
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Ratly » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:30 am

The group I ran this with hid in the little nook next to where the bosses stand. When the waves started I told everybody to hide there so I could round up the mobs easier. When the mobs ran close I'd drop consecration to grab some quick hate on the melee mobs. Immediately after I would shield toss any loose casters then I would plant myself on any OTHER loose ranged mob then blow Holy Wrath.

At that point we usually would burn down the mage asap. The only problems I ran into was when the mobs insisted on trying to get behind me. I'd spend what seemed like an eternity trying to get the mobs in front of me only to have them move behind me again about a second after I finally got settled in.
Ratly

Postby elite » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:58 am

I did this yesyerday 3 runs , First run was hectic due to the learning curve ..

After trying a few things ,I consolidated on the right hand alcove ( either one will do left or right , but I prefere right )

With each wave you make your group huddle in the inner most crevice , you yourself stand a little before them ... just wait when melee's come you judge them melee attack ... when you see the casters closing in pop consecration .. remember your still in the crevice of the alcove ... when there near trow shield on them ... on the 4th and 5th wave I used Holy wrath when most where near me , the stun and Ae dmg give you sec to get overview

after you have all there attention ... casters , meleer's / hunters the group can move from the crevice and spread when final mob is beeign dps'd they move back in .. rinse and repeat for all waves ...

2nd and 3th time I did the dungeon was flawless ...

Only downside I epxerienced yesterday was the DPS DK needing the defence collar from the treasure chest ... I love the LFG tool but apearantly some servers have other ettiquette / protocol . On arathor you only need stuff that is relevant to the role your representing in the group ... if you go as dps you need on relevant dps gear , as tank you need on tank gear ect .. your offspec or second talent tree isnt taken into consideration ...

He claimed it wasnt that way where he was from ... /shrug still kinda peeved I relay liked that neck ...
elite

Postby Sarevok » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:35 pm

I don't know about you guys but we just aoe'd them down :|. No special techniques done. Just be sure to hit every mob and kill the closest one :D I was running like crazy from mob-to-mob and all taunts were always on CD. Actually I save the taunts when someone gets aggro in which cases is quite rare. I guess it pays to have smart DPS ;)

Stay near the entrance. That way you can see the mobs coming and picking them up is easy. And don't forget Holy Wrath.
Sarevok

Postby Dahmu » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:58 am

I really hate to say this, but CC can help a ton. First time I did this we wiped few times came up with a plan and worked some what. Burn the priest down first as they heal and fear. Burn the mercs down cause they stun second. Try to CC the mages if you use the right nook so they don't get in there and drop a nasty flame strike.

Side note story : Honestly, I have tanked as a warrior for 2 years, then in BC I switched to paladin tank and not once did any one call me a bad tank. I finished the Halls of Reflection 2 times with only one or two wipes. Tonight, I got a group and after the 2nd wipe I was told how awful I was.

We had a hunter who rode threat, didn't MD, didn't CC and didn't FD.
We had a death knight who didn't pull any of the ranged mobs into my consecration.
We had a holy paladin who didn't bubble herself even when standing in the flamestrike and insisted on throwing big heals why mobs would come to life.

I was always under the assumption(Forgive my ignorance) that if the tank dies, the healer is bad and if the healer dies, the tank is bad. Most wipes started with me dying first. Dps die randomly and the hunter told me I need to hold threat better.

Do I suck? or has team work went out the door?
Dahmu 80 - Scarlet-Crusade
Dahmu

Postby vegardhv » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:50 am

Dahmu wrote:Do I suck? or has team work went out the door?

You just happened to hook up with awful people...

But even so, if you were to blame for a couple of wipes, this is a new dungeon, and it's a step up from the usual heroics, people should be more patient...
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Rothes » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:29 am

I expect this will be nerfed... honestly it seems way overtuned.
Rothes - Protection Paladin - Bloodscalp
"When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everybody will respect you."
--Lao Tzu
Rothes

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:38 am

Just a few comments based on my own experiences.

I don't think it's overtuned. I think it's tuned just right to people who are appropriately geared. Which means that if you're wearing ilevel 200 stuff, you're not appropriately geared. (ie. This is NOT where you should be gearing up your alts unless the rest of your group can actively carry you.)

On my tank I had some massive problems picking up adds as they kept bum rushing my druid healer. We're now attributing that to all the hots that are up and kept ticking through the waves. We wiped maybe 2 or 3 times on that second set of waves before we finally got it.

When I healed it on my priest it was far easier. With PoM bouncing and a few flashes, it's really not that bad to heal. And this was with a not-so-optimized geared tank. (Not bad mind you, but not top of the pack.)

Mostly though, I think this'll come down to experience. The first 3 times you go in, it's always a bit dodgy. After that, it'll become far easier.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Zaluthar » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:39 am

I managed to clear it now. Used the LoS tactic first, failed due to total chaos.

Then decided to use another strat:
- wait at the entrance
- hunter MD's the hunter mob
- DK grips the mage
- AoE
- win

So I agree with the above post: it's supposed to be team work.
Zaluthar

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:50 am

Ratly wrote:The group I ran this with hid in the little nook next to where the bosses stand. When the waves started I told everybody to hide there so I could round up the mobs easier.

Honestly, this is the entire encounter right here. Have everyone hide in the nook next to the boss and they'll all come running to you and stack up like obedient little lemmings.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General Strats