Remove Advertisements

[25] Deathbringer Saurfang

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] Deathbringer Saurfang

Postby towelliee » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCy6HaxR5s4

Few Notes Tanking this:

- We used the strat where adds flock to hunters using distracting shot and boomkin's hurricane so the adds won't melee anyone. So I was not able to concecrate much throughout the whole fight, but my HotR did get some adds.

- Make sure you use the DUES VOX timer for Rune Blood taunts off the other tank. In the video you will notice the announce letting me know the other tank has Rune Blood.

- Save cooldowns for his soft enrage at 25%, he hits pretty hard during this.
towelliee

Re: [25] Deathbringer Saurfang

Postby Wrathy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:41 pm

towelliee wrote:- We used the strat where adds flock to hunters using distracting shot and boomkin's hurricane so the adds won't melee anyone. So I was not able to concecrate much throughout the whole fight, but my HotR did get some adds.

We started out like this and mid way through the fight we realized that our resto druid was pulling more aggro that the hunters so we placed him in the back behind the boomkin and everything fell into place. Also, Make sure that you have your frost traps and earthbind totems down, but away from the stairs so that the adds dont get slowed near the tank. I had a few that were hit by a HotR or a Consecrate that stuck to me for a bit.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:49 pm

We just solotanked and burned it down. The adds only have 90k hp, we just told the ranged to FFA nuke them. Sometimes they stuck on me, mostly they didn't.

We probably took a lot more stacks of Mark than we needed to.

I didn't feel like he was hitting very hard, even during the enrage, I think I'm going to stack avoidance for this next week. And 2-tank it. And probably work out a better strat for dealing with adds.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby towelliee » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:50 pm

Wrathy wrote:
towelliee wrote:- We used the strat where adds flock to hunters using distracting shot and boomkin's hurricane so the adds won't melee anyone. So I was not able to concecrate much throughout the whole fight, but my HotR did get some adds.

We started out like this and mid way through the fight we realized that our resto druid was pulling more aggro that the hunters so we placed him in the back behind the boomkin and everything fell into place. Also, Make sure that you have your frost traps and earthbind totems down, but away from the stairs so that the adds dont get slowed near the tank. I had a few that were hit by a HotR or a Consecrate that stuck to me for a bit.

That's actually not a bad idea. In our video you see the adds going left and right and those were probably our healers..
towelliee

Postby Aubade » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:56 pm

We brought in 2 tanks but my warrior co-tank ended up just solo-tanking while I tried to deal with adds by getting aggro and kiting them off of ranged/healers that were a little too close. They ARE stunnable by the way
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Niinbob » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:14 am

I have not done the 25 man yet but i assume it's the same as 10m. The debuff he puts on the tank (can't recall the name) seemed to heal him for a lot when we did it. We did 2 attempts, first attempt I was solo tanking while my the pally tank was kiting adds and we got like 3 or 4 marks before it all fell apart due to raid dmg. The second attempt we tank swapped to see if the debuff he was putting on me was healing him for a lot, the person who wasn't tanking would help kite adds, and he died WAY faster. We only got 1 mark when he was at about 5-10% hp. After the a mark is cast he gets the next one nearly twice as fast it seems.
Niinbob

Postby Treck » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:42 am

We had a holypaladin using RF to get aggro on the adds.
I wouldnt say it was 100% reliable. and when dpsers started to just nuke them down they overaggroed the paladin. However if some were left not dpsed while killing a few others, it would go for the holypally, where we had a moonkin/shaman to knock them back a bit.
In 10man you hardly get any marks at all, should be easy to do without a single one next week.
In 25man it should be very interesting on heroic ^^
Hopefully it wont be a jaraxxus, with the first normal kill giving lots of hopes for a potentially hard encounter on heroic, and it becomes the easiest :S
Treck

Postby Awyndel » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:47 am

We had some problems on this last night. Every time when he hit about 5% during the enrage, the healers lost control of the marks and ppl started dying and the whole thing fell apart.

We did have some hunter/druids keep the adds busy while the ranged nuked them. Tanks had avoidance trinkets ( and still plenty of health if i may add ) . We did a tank swap on the debuff. I think ppl spread out enough for the exploding thingy. We tried bl both in the start and the end, the start might mean one less mark, the end might mean less uptime on seriouz healingz.

I don't know exactly how the healers where handling it, coz I remember them saying they could not see the debuff on grid so they proceeded making verbal agreements on asignments. Think we used 5 healers. Don't know if trying 6 would be a good idea. Think we had about 6 marks up in p2.

Any suggestions?
Did ppl fail on stacks? Is 6 marks too many?
Did the tanks fail on gearing if the healers can't handle healing that, or did the healers fail on using proper addons/asignments?

Ps, we use 245/258 gear we have been clearing most heroic modes for like a month, and killed anub twice.
Awyndel

Postby bzzt » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:01 am

It sounds like too many marks. Our kill last night was 4 marks at about the same gearlevel (245/258, we haven't downed anub heroic yet, holidays wrecked turnout just as we were getting comfy in p3). We used 5 healers, but after a few very low hps wipes (<2%) we were seriously considering going with 4 to try to outpace that last mark (since around 4-5 is where things seemed to started spiralling out of control). We used the same holy pally with righteous fury & frost traps with ranged FFA on the adds described above. If an add stuck to the tanks our hunters distracted it off.

Basically for marks, our healers just called each one as they'd get it (i.e. I call mark on rogue 1, healer 1 calls "I've got rogue1"). Once they were paying proper attention to the marked folks, it wasn't overly difficult to keep them alive. Oh, and thanks to one terribly disappointing datapoint from our curious restodrood: don't try to brez a person who died with mark. There's much sucking to be had.

We didn't have any wipes due to tank death, though our feral tank did comment that he was taking some fairly impressive hits (and judging from the stress in a couple of the healers voices, it was definitely not a cakewalk on their end). I'd guess he hits hard there at the end but doesn't spike too badly (hard to tell as dps).
bzzt

Postby PsiVen » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:30 am

Remember that Consecration is fine to use -- it's properly reduced by the AoE reduction. HotR is NOT, and you can easily crit two adds and have them nailed to you for 16k threat. Get a timer for add spawns/cooldowns/whatever so you don't have to twitch the whole fight.

He didn't hit us very hard at all; my guess is it's the Marks that buff his damage and since we got the achievement for our kill I don't think we had many of those. The first attempt, we had many things go badly and ended up with 15 people dead at 10%. We were still stable, but the boss was healing more than we could DPS him at that point.

Letting him whack you with Rune is about 30k healing and an extra blood point every second, so solo tanking him might seem like a good idea but if you assume 2/3 uptime on Rune all you're doing is taking 20k DPS away and forcing at least 1-2 extra marks over the duration of the fight.

Unless I'm missing something I don't see any reason to stack avoidance for this. He should only gain power if he hits you with Rune, and taunting takes care of that better than dodging.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Awyndel » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:58 am

don't the ppl with the mark get hit whenever i get hit?
Awyndel

Postby Wrathy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:45 pm

Awyndel wrote:don't the ppl with the mark get hit whenever i get hit?

Yes.

Mark of the Fallen Champion - causes Saurfang’s melee attacks to hit the marked target as well as the tank. The marked player takes 4,275 to 4,725 additional Physical damage from each attack. If a marked player dies while the Mark is up, Saurfang heals for 5% of his maximum health. Cast when Saurfang reaches 100 energy through his Blood Link energizing.

Also, PsiVen, your assessment is a bit off, Saurfang has an ability that give him power anytime he or his blood beasts land a hit, so avoidance is better in the long run for reducing the number of Marks that he throws out, in turn reducing raid damage and healing (on the off chance the marked player dies).

Saurfang has an ability called Blood Link which triggers Blood Power every time Saurfang or his Blood Beasts inflict damage with an ability and also increases Saurfang’s energy by 1. When his energy reaches 100, he marks a member of the raid with Mark of the Fallen Champion
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:08 pm

We found an easy way of dealing with thisone.
Wiped a few times on our altrun and couldnt understand why, started assigning healers to the 1st to 5th mark, then we were out of healers. Best we did was about 5% then the 7th mark or so came, and someone would die.
Roughtly, we had marks at 55%, 45%, 35%, 30%, 20%, 15% and 5% ish.
And since every tick of the debuff gives him a bloodpoint (or whatever) it will go faster and faster, and at 30% he "softenrages" hitting faster, was a small problem for our undergeared tanks at about 43k fully buffed HP (instead of 58.5k).
So after an hour and a half of trying to figure out a strat (we oneshotted without any asignements in the mainrun) we decided, "hey, why not just let ppl die?".
And sure enough, dps died off one by one (lucky no healers were hit) and he got 4 marks off before he died, at roughtly 55%, 35%, 20%, 10% and about 80 points from a 5th one.
Treck

Postby PsiVen » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:07 pm

Also, PsiVen, your assessment is a bit off, Saurfang has an ability that give him power anytime he or his blood beasts land a hit, so avoidance is better in the long run for reducing the number of Marks that he throws out, in turn reducing raid damage and healing (on the off chance the marked player dies).

Yes, that explains it. Avoidance is a decent idea indeed then. I believe I was wearing my avoidance gear from the Gunship battle when we did the fight, actually.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Worldie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:36 am

Me and my co-tank went using avoidance gear, with me sporting around 40% avoidance post-chill. As a result, we got the I've gone and made a mess achievement without even trying.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Next

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel