Remove Advertisements

Prot Spec review

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Prot Spec review

Postby caslon » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:17 pm

Hi All,
I'm coming back after taking a few months off and plan to play casual doing the new 5 man dungeon and possibly Onyxia and ToC 10. It looks like there have been some changes since I last played so my gear and spec probably need a little work.

Just wondering if my current gear is good enough for Ony and ToC 10 to tank in, please review my current armory and let me know if I should start elsewhere, I probably can't do heroic 10's but maybe heroic 5 and normal 10's for Ony/Toc:
Tankadin

My current spec is outdated and I'm thinking of going to this new talent spec:
Prot Spec

The talent spec I have now was primarily for raid utility and as an OT when needed; with the new spec I'm a little more focused trying to keep everything the same but maybe enhance tps a little by trying 3/5 reck, and mitigation with 2/2 vindication; otherwise it is similiar to a crusade build from a few months ago.

As for my glyphs I will most likely keep it the same but swap out the minor kings glyph back to the undead one.

I will most likely start farming Crusader' Coliseum: Trial of the Champion for better gear and The Black Heart to start.

Any pointers, tips, or critique is much appreciated. Peace.
caslon

Re: Prot Spec review

Postby blakk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:03 pm

Normal 5 man ToC for the trinket and just get badges. Toc 10 is tankable with just the conquest badge gear as long as your raid is well coordinated. Your proposed spec is very close to what i'm running now with a few swaps of threat for utility as my guild is trying hardmodes atm and i am offtanking.
blakk

Postby Koatanga » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:35 pm

I'd consider moving the points out of Conviction and putting them into Pursuit of Justice and Seal of Command.

PoJ helps you to be at the right place at the right time, which is always a good thing.

SoC does nice amounts of damage on any multi-mob pull. If you're going to be running a lot of 5-mans, it could easily become your seal-of-choice, at least for trash.

Conviction is good - threat is always welcome - but Command will do more to help you hold groups while your DPS mindlessly AoEs everything to death.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:52 am

Koatanga wrote:I'd consider moving the points out of Conviction and putting them into Pursuit of Justice and Seal of Command.

PoJ helps you to be at the right place at the right time, which is always a good thing.

SoC does nice amounts of damage on any multi-mob pull. If you're going to be running a lot of 5-mans, it could easily become your seal-of-choice, at least for trash.

Conviction is good - threat is always welcome - but Command will do more to help you hold groups while your DPS mindlessly AoEs everything to death.

SoComm is controversial, it's benefits over SoV are present only in two situations: Reckoning with aoe tanking, and aoe tanking with mobs that die in under 8~ seconds. SoV makes enough threat on it's own, so from a threat point of view SoComm is absolutely unnecessary.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents