A little help to an outdated player- Talent Spec

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

A little help to an outdated player- Talent Spec

Postby twistedundead » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:29 am

http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xm ... 0000000000

This is pretty much what I'm looking at now as a spec, but I just restarted playing, and haven't even hit eighty, I'm just trying to figure it out. In fact, I'm buying the game today or tomorrow but I used to be on this site a lot when I played and know there are a lot of good minds out there. If someone could give me a few informative points?

I was wondering if DS/DG was worth it, I was reading the sacred shield topic and seems effective to help prevent AOE, possible wipes or something, or lets say a DPSer isn't watching and pulls a pat or something that you missed, before you can pull them away and tank them. I just wasn't sure if it was worth it for it.

Or to put it in IHoJ since that is a spell interrupt, I thoguth I read in another topic that it works regardless of stun, to yield an overall 20 sec CD to a spell interrupt which might be helpful for longer fights, while you can't stop every big move of the boss the heals I'm sure appriciate you stopping at least a few, every 20 seconds (essentially stopping half to a third, depending on their CD that 5-10 sec scheme).

Obviously I would have one point floating, which by itself isn't so good in any particular one, so I would probably go DS just to have the lesser version of the spell, but wasn't sure if that was worth it without the DG component.

Additionally, as far as my ret branching goes, I always used Pursuit and occassionally Vin before Lich, and planned on continuing them (especially now that Vin is much more useful). I like Crusader because it A moves me down the tree and B allows for crits for other players in game. I would love the Benediction but I didn't think a 2% alone was worth it and don't want to spend 5 points to get a 10% reduction, and while 1% crit chance increase isn't a ton I figured it wasn't bad. Overall Crusade though would more than make up for it so wasn't sure if I should switch that?

I have a second point in judgements just because I like the 8 sec despite 969 rotation, which I use, but when on my own, I normally stick to judges and HotR so for now it's useful for 8 sec, any suggestions saying otherwise are appriciated though. Additionally, is the crit chance better than the points in Seals of the pure? I figured that would be a more steady TPS increase and the crits a little spiky but overall winning out as it's a decent increase going down ret.

Thanks, I appriciate feedback and realize some may just be because I havent played a lot lately and still need to get it down

Edit: Broken up, sorry about the "shield wall" of text going on there
Last edited by twistedundead on Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twistedundead

Re: A little help to an outdated player- Talent Spec

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:30 am

Please... PLEASE use the enter key somewhere. That big wall of text doesn't make it very inviting to read. :(
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Epimer » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:55 am

I battled through the Wall Of Text - your spec is basically cookie cutter and is fine.

You have the choice of DS/DG, Imp HoW + floating point or 3/5 Reckoning to get further into Prot. DS/DG is the raid utility choice, Imp HoW is situationally useful (although perhaps less so in ToC; can only think of Jaraxxus as a useful fight for it) and 3/5 Reckoning is the threat choice. Any of the three is fine.
Epimer

Postby Nekkos » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:18 am

I run the exact spec as the one you linked except I swap a point from Imp. Judgement and the one point in Conviction to fill out Imp. Might. It's a nice dps gain for your raid if you're the only Paladin (possible in a 10 man).
Nekkos

Postby twistedundead » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:04 pm

Lol sorry about the wall, to me reading something together or broken up is the same text, just more space.

As for the suggestions thanks, by raid utility do you mean overall effectiveness, say if I'm not specifically MTing or something?

Additionally, to the Reck aspect, I didn't think that would pay off in threat as much as say a higher crit level or overall damage might? From what I read (and never used it much before, though it is admittably much better now), it was one of the lower threat producers/boosters to paladin tanking
twistedundead

Postby Epimer » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:10 am

twistedundead wrote:
As for the suggestions thanks, by raid utility do you mean overall effectiveness, say if I'm not specifically MTing or something?

It's useful in various scenarios, whether you're main tanking or not. In T7 content, something like the Malygos vortex was a good time to use it; T8 would have hard mode XT's tantrum as a good time to use it; in T9 you could use it when you've just been taunted off on Gormok, or if your worm died first on Jormungar to ease up on tank damage during the enrage; on Twins for a Vortex depending on your strategy.

Additionally, to the Reck aspect, I didn't think that would pay off in threat as much as say a higher crit level or overall damage might? From what I read (and never used it much before, though it is admittably much better now), it was one of the lower threat producers/boosters to paladin tanking

Yes, but note that I was talking about your choices in the Prot tree and you're making comparisons between talents in the Ret tree. Reckoning is the only threat increase talent when choosing where to put those 3 points you need in Prot to get deeper than Blessing of Sanctuary (i.e. choice between 3/5 Divinity, DS/DG, Imp HoW + 1 floating point, 3/5 Reckoning). It's not a strong threat talent in its own right, it's just the threat talent for filling out Prot if you decide that the threat is more important than your other options.
Epimer

Postby twistedundead » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:46 pm

Touche, I just meant like was it worth it if I am using the Reck tree for the threat focus, to get the additional threat increase (which, again, is I guess minimal?) in the prot tree, or if it was better to keep the DS/DG. From what I see, and hopefully I know better when I decide, I guess it is better raid wise to go DS/DG. As I plan on mostly raiding (I'm not much of a PVPer)this'll be perfect. Sorry about the misunderstanding, appriciate it though :)
twistedundead

Postby twistedundead » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:49 pm

And as to Nekkos thanks, I was considering that might talent but didn't know how it'd pay off, also one of the guys I will be running with often is a ret so I assume he has it but I'll have to check.

Edit: Also, I was wondering since I'll be running a lot of heroics at first and stuff to help gear up at first, if it'd be worth it to get Seal of Command since there will be more trash and stuff like that, though my friend assures me that I can do TOC fine. I realize it's a more AOE talent, which is why I'm thinking it might be good at first, before I get some gear, and respec and whatnot into what I want my finishing talent tree to be? (Barring situational changes)
twistedundead

Postby Nekkos » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:00 pm

twistedundead wrote:And as to Nekkos thanks, I was considering that might talent but didn't know how it'd pay off, also one of the guys I will be running with often is a ret so I assume he has it but I'll have to check.

No problem. I run Ret as my main spec so when I tank I like to take care of my fellow physical dps and buff them as much as possible =p. It also makes single buffs easier to manage. For example, your Ret can buff greater kings while you buff greater might and single sanctuary yourself. Both parties get the buffs that they want.
Nekkos

Return to Basic Training & Talents