Talon King Ikiss

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Talon King Ikiss

Postby Fynn » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:41 am

What are is your strategy for this guy? Is it true that if everyone goes melee range he doesnt do his arcane volley? AFter the Arcane explosion he also does arcane volley which sometimes kills one of us.

Does bandage generate aggro? Cuz some of us are bandaging after he does blink.
Fynn

Postby adese » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:57 am

When he is casting his AOE, everyone should get out of LOS - this will prevent them from taking damage from the spell (and likely keep them alive). I haven't tried him for quite some time on Normal, but on Heroic I always have problems picking him up after the AOE - he'll target someone, I'll taunt, and they'll either be out of LOS of me or else he'll switch targets thus making the taunt ineffective.

Your healer will need to heal through the arcane volley. I'm not sure if all in melee range changes that or not, but as long as you have a decent healer they should be able to keep most of the group up.

Also, when he sheeps someone, try to Cleanse it - that's one less thing your healer will have to worry about.
adese

Postby Ills » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:05 am

Unless there's an AE coming, I leave ppl sheeped for the free heal.
Every fight is like Sartura, only without the screaming and the dying.
Ills

Postby Fynn » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:57 pm

I killed him twice in heroic but the both times the only ones left was me, a healer, and another dps.

Has anyone tried dropping a consecrate where he teleports then run to hide? Mayb it builds enough aggro? I never use taunt on this guy cuz he runs to me then 1 sec after changes target. really annoying.
Fynn

Postby adese » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:45 am

Fynn wrote:I killed him twice in heroic but the both times the only ones left was me, a healer, and another dps.

This guy is evil in Heroic. I know the few times I have killed him, it seems like there are at most 1-2 people standing at the end.

Fynn wrote:Has anyone tried dropping a consecrate where he teleports then run to hide? Mayb it builds enough aggro? I never use taunt on this guy cuz he runs to me then 1 sec after changes target. really annoying.

That's actually not a bad idea. I'll have to give that a try next time that I am there.
adese

Unorthodox but ...

Postby trayven » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:39 am

Personally, I use a high arcane resist set (200ish). I stay in the aoe when Ikiss does it, and most of the time i resist a very very hefty amount of damage. Ikiss doesn't really hit hard, it's his magical gimmicks that cause wipes.
trayven

Postby Anduril » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:30 am

I do this fight without any Arcane Resist. I'm Alliance, so I use wings then SoV on him from the get-go, then tank him up against a pillar until he teleports away and starts his Arcane Explosion. The party LOS'es the Arcane Explosion, and the SoV ticks have been enough for me to get him back easily enough after the explosion. On occasion I've just eaten the arcane damage, but that was before I started using SoV (I'm a SoR junkie usually).

It's still a lame fight though no matter what you do.
Anduril

Postby Xanatos » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:10 am

Fynn wrote:I killed him twice in heroic but the both times the only ones left was me, a healer, and another dps.

Has anyone tried dropping a consecrate where he teleports then run to hide? Mayb it builds enough aggro? I never use taunt on this guy cuz he runs to me then 1 sec after changes target. really annoying.

I think the problem with dropping a consecrate to get initial aggro after his arcane explosion is because he blinks before he starts casting it. This means that he will usually be some distance away from you when he begins casting. If you try to run towards him to drop a consecrate, you won't have enough time to get out of LOS and hence eat an explosion.
Xanatos

Postby Kalilah » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:57 pm

The other night a Holy Priest, a Feral Druid, a Hunter, a Mage, and I ran Heroic Sethekk Halls, and I had massive, massive problems with the polymorph on Ikiss. We used the strategy where you pull him out into the doorway of the room before his, and use the corners of the doorway to stay out of LoS of his AoE.

The problem was, every time I ran out of the corner to go pick him up again after the AoE, he immediately polymorphed me. We figured somehow I wasn't first on the aggro list right after the attack (supposedly he doesn't poly the person who's first on his aggro list), so we said, "Okay guys, no HoTs, no DoTs, we do NOTHING until Kal picks up aggro." Again, I run out there, I get polyed. I even tried the trick where you drop Consecrate, just did it right in the doorway so he'd likely run through it after the AoE, it didn't seem to make a difference.

Okay, we say, maybe he's targeting me for the poly because I'm the first one in line of sight. We decide to all run out together at the same time. I run out there with everyone else, I'm still the only one being targeted for a polymorph the instant after his AoE.

So we decide to let the Druid tank, since he can't be polyed. That strat finally allows us to take Ikiss down, and in that fight, I got polyed again, three times. Good thing all I was doing was "DPSing" and off-healing.

So I'm wondering...has this happened to anyone else? Was it a problem with our strat? Was I just having horrible, horrible luck? Does Ikiss hate Paladins? It doesn't sound like anyone else has had this much trouble with him...
Kalilah

Postby Quean » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:42 pm

So, I haven't tried this, but a friend of mine was in a pug a few weeks ago, and they had a new strategy:
You pull him right near the doorway of his room and fight him there. This way, when he does his AE, everyone just runs out the door and around the wall, so you're all together for heals and getting aggro back. He said it worked phenomenally and was the smoothest kill he's had.
I'd say give it a try :D
Quean

Postby Juliette » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:01 pm

I remember the first and last time I did this guy on Heroic. We wiped like over 10 times before we got him down, and like many groups, only had 2-3 left standing. The epic shoulders dropped, but the SSC/TK Holy Paladin rolled against me, saying he needed it for his 'tanking' set when I clearly needed it more than he did.

So I ended up doing 2 things: never doing this stupid Heroic again, and putting the guy on my ignore list
Juliette

Postby Taeron » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:57 pm

Tank him between the two pillars on the right. As he teleports, everybody runs behind the pillar, out of his line of sight.

Now comes the problematic part. Getting him back.

Watch his cast bar. He'll cast polymorph on a random target he aggroed. I judge him after polymorph and he turns on me (no one does anything to that point but runs from him). I want 2 seconds to see if he'll poly someone else, otherwise I taunt him and bring him back to the tanking spot.

For this fight I wear PvP insignia. I start off with Avengers Wrath and build a lot of initial aggro and just let people nuke him as best as possible until first teleport.

If I get polymorphed after first teleport, I use the trinket (since I usually still have Forbearance).

If I get polymorphed after second teleport, I use bubble.

Know that he never teleported again when only me and a rogue were left alive and we took him down alone for the last 17% on one occasion.

It's a horrible, chaotic, annoying fight and I only did it a couple of times for heroic daily quest. Will probably skip it from now on, not worth the hassle and there's like a gazillion trash in there for only 2 bosses.
Taeron

Postby thangos » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:58 am

the pull to the doorway works best... occasionally he will teleport outside the doorway but you just run back inside when he does that.
thangos

Postby Zhalseran » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:51 pm

Quean wrote:So, I haven't tried this, but a friend of mine was in a pug a few weeks ago, and they had a new strategy:
You pull him right near the doorway of his room and fight him there. This way, when he does his AE, everyone just runs out the door and around the wall, so you're all together for heals and getting aggro back. He said it worked phenomenally and was the smoothest kill he's had.
I'd say give it a try :D

I tried that once and it was ok... It worked really well when things went right, but that wasn't always the case. More than once he telported right in the doorway, in which case I (since I was on my Rogue) popped sprint and got as far as possible =) I think the pillars are more foolproof for dodging the explosion itself
Zhalseran

Postby kywirelessguy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:31 pm

not to mention all his aggro switching can scare your dps into taking off and resetting him. Depressing when he's under 50% already.

I prefer the pillar approach just because I had him reset a few times and I'd rather not risk it.
kywirelessguy

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics