Remove Advertisements

Help please!

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Help please!

Postby Saitou » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:12 pm

hi =)

I am a level 63 paladin who would very much like to tank when I reach to level 80 which is where my partner is now.

Last night we were running hellfire ramparts so that she could determine what kind of tank I would be at level 80.

Throughout the fight I kept losing agro all over the place and it made me wonder..does tour abillity to keep aggro get bigger as your level goes up?

Is it easier for a level 80 priest who is dpsing to take threat from a level 62 who is tanking?

I really don't know but I feel pretty discouraged and was hoping maybe someone here could shed some light on this for me - here is my armory page:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ry&n=Tarou

I am Tarou on Nesingwary
Saitou

Re: Help please!

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:15 pm

If you're tanking for people who are level 80, even if they don't have any kind of raid gear, I would expect them to be pulling off you very easily. There is a massive difference in the damage output of a level 62 (and threat ofc) compared to a level 80. In addition, when you hit your 70s, you'll have more tools at your disposal to make tanking threat far easier.

Absolutely do NOT be discouraged. Run an instance with a group around your level range and you'll find they won't pull off you nearly as easily.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:20 pm

Saitou wrote:Last night we were running hellfire ramparts so that she could determine what kind of tank I would be at level 80.

That's pretty much impossible to determine just because of abilities yet to be gained and talents not yet acquired.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Alixander » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:43 pm

Flex wrote:That's pretty much impossible to determine just because of abilities yet to be gained and talents not yet acquired.
What he said. The first point where one can reasonably gauge one's ability to tank at 80 will be level 75, since that's the point where you finally get all the parts of the 969 rotation. They are Judgement (level 4), Consecrate (level 20 I think...) Holy Shield (31 point talent, available at level 40 earliest), Hammer of the Righteous (51 point talent, available at level 60 earliest), and Shield of Righteousness (level 75). There are some other things which can help out here and there after level 75 (Sacred Shield comes to mind), but those five abilities are the core rotation of any Prot Paladin's repertoire. Additionally, Prot Paladins are currently balanced around regaining most of their mana from Divine Plea which you don't get until level 71, so you're really hurting in that regard.
Alixander

Postby Saitou » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:46 pm

thanks for the words of encouragement and advice all!

I was really feeling like rolling rogue or something after hearing my partner's comments and seeing how easily she was pulling the hate from me...I guess it was moe that I felt that even as dps an 80 priest coulden't outdo a paladin...I'll try again at Lv 75 and let you know how it goes =)

Any advice anyone has would gladly be welcomed =)
Saitou

Postby Alixander » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:15 pm

Best advice I think anyone can give is read the stickies in Basic Training. That will give you about 90% of the knowledgebase you need to be a good tank. Then if you're still confused about stuff or there's something you want to know in that last 10%, ask away. :wink:
Alixander

Return to Basic Training & Talents