[10] Traitor King

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Traitor King

Postby Anorian » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:35 am

sooo anyone gave this a try yet? http://www.wowhead.com/?achievement=3800

We tried it once to see how it goes, and we think the main thing to do is to kite around all the adds in a circle with enough ice patches to slow them, because of the amount of enraged adds your gonna have hunters are a defnite pre to have in the raid.

We're probably gonna try this later this week again, just curious if anyone else is trying this.
Anorian

Re: [10] Traitor King

Postby Anorian » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:21 pm

Soo we gave this some more attempts, hard as fuck i might say.

We had 2 rogues and 2 hunters for dispelling the enrages, what we did was everyone running in a circle around the room while trying to keep all the adds on the ice that we continually shoot down. We once survived 3 burrow phases and killing 35 adds but apparently you need to survive 4 while kiting all of them.

anyone else any luck?
Anorian

Postby fafhrd » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:35 am

We gave it a shot on 10 with a tank picking up and kiting everything with a rogue fokking anesthetic poison. tank still died eventually, and some of the adds also got killed accidentally.

A guild on our server got it on 25 a few weeks back, but it honestly seems like it'd be easier on 25 than on 10 because of the larger number of healers (and tanks if you want to do it with multiple tanks) available.

Couldn't convince guild to try on 25 though >.> hopefully we try on 10 again.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Maddok » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:56 pm

My group is going to play around with this one a bit this week, anybody else have any insight?
Maddok

Postby Shathus » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:39 pm

Could you bring a slightly modified group just for the achievement then switch people back for the kill

Was think a normal anub tank, then maybe 2 pally tanks that could take turns kiting the adds around, then at some point bubble off the debuff, and have the other tank pick them up? Do frost traps and slow totems work at all (or does their enrage ignore that too)? Was thinking treat them like the adds from Gluth. Have 3 healers, 1 on anub tank, other 2 on the add tanks, and a rogue with crappy weapons equipped to do FoK to take off the enrage (but not kill them), then when you get 40, both pallies concecrate, holy wrath, etc and everyone AoEs.

i dunno, something like that
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:50 pm

3-piece Nature Resist gear (level 70, CE rep) + nature resist aura + lesser flask of resistance = manageable dot damage, even at max stacks. You can simply sit there and tank them, but you will need dedicated healing. I believe the damage was ticking for 22-27k.

Tried this on 25-man and the only real problem was taunting the adds off of healers. Even if you get aggro on the adds, they will switch to other players quite frequently, so you do need to be taunting them back. It probably didn't help that we were using 5 healers.

Next time I try, I'm bringing another healer or two, dedicated to myself. I'm going to have them at max range and I'm going to adjust my camera so that I can actually see which ones are running away. Should be fun!
Belloc

Postby fafhrd » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:01 pm

Shathus wrote:Could you bring a slightly modified group just for the achievement then switch people back for the kill

Was think a normal anub tank, then maybe 2 pally tanks that could take turns kiting the adds around, then at some point bubble off the debuff, and have the other tank pick them up? Do frost traps and slow totems work at all (or does their enrage ignore that too)? Was thinking treat them like the adds from Gluth. Have 3 healers, 1 on anub tank, other 2 on the add tanks, and a rogue with crappy weapons equipped to do FoK to take off the enrage (but not kill them), then when you get 40, both pallies concecrate, holy wrath, etc and everyone AoEs.

All snares work on them, including frost traps and totems, but you generally don't need them because the ice all over slows them a lot too - the ones that hit you are the ones that are enraged, and no, no snares work on them till you tranq them down.

We were thinking having 2 prot warriors to tank, with crossed vigilances for spam taunting, but we never went back with 2 warriors or NR gear. That would also double the healing requirement with no other gain really, although beacon healing might deal with that fine.

edit: actually, aren't they immune to taunt anyway? That wouldn't help at all...
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Belloc » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:51 pm

fafhrd wrote:
Shathus wrote:Could you bring a slightly modified group just for the achievement then switch people back for the kill

All snares work on them, including frost traps and totems, but you generally don't need them because the ice all over slows them a lot too - the ones that hit you are the ones that are enraged, and no, no snares work on them till you tranq them down.

We were thinking having 2 prot warriors to tank, with crossed vigilances for spam taunting, but we never went back with 2 warriors or NR gear. That would also double the healing requirement with no other gain really, although beacon healing might deal with that fine.

edit: actually, aren't they immune to taunt anyway? That wouldn't help at all...

They're only taunt immune on Heroic.
Belloc

Postby fafhrd » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:09 pm

ah. i did 3 different toc's yesterday, i'm confused about which ones were immune i guess >.>
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Soralin » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi,

When we did this we used a rogue with level 1 daggers (with the lowest damage he could find) and anaethetic poison to dispel enrage. Then we had 1 tank (me) kiting Anub'arak and Burrowers around in a big circle around the outside of the room - and somebody whose job it was to cover the entire ground with ice. It was time consuming and we screwed it up the first time because we thought we had enough and didn't - but it didn't feel particularly risky.

There's really no need to dps anything at all except the burrowers which need to die asap, so the only people who need to be standing still (and are thus at risk of having the debuff stacks applies by the adds) are the healers.

--Cover the entire ground with ice patches and fill in any gaps with hunter slowing traps
--Kite Anub'arak in a big circle around the outside of the room, causing a train of scarabs behind you (don't cut corners or the scarabs will catch up to you)
--Kill burrowers ASAP

Best of luck.
Soralin

Postby Auracle » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:14 am

Hi folks,

I got some tips from this thread, and since we recently downed this, I thought I'd copy the 'strat' which I posted over on the plusheal forums, hopefully to give a little back. It follows:

Our guild decided to take a stab at this achievement this week, and managed to get it after a fairly grueling ordeal.
Since we weren't able to find any particularly specific info on strats for this, I thought I would create a post here about what worked for us, and what didn't, in the hopes that it will save some folks the headache we went through trying out various stuff.

Our Composition:
2x Pally tanks (No particular reason, just what was available at the time)
1x Pally Healer
1x Shaman Healer (NR totems, and grounding totems slowing the scarabs)
1x Restro Druid (Critical)
1x Disc Priest (Secondary to druid but also VERY useful)
1x Arcane Mage
1x Hunter
1x Rogue (Critical, Anti-enrageBot)
1x DK (Glyphed Deathgrip, VERY useful)

Essentially, we had picked up tidbits here and there about strats, and found two methods that we wanted to try.

Method 1 – Get bugs to aggro on one person, have them stack nature resist.
We found that an NR decked tank, while resisting the ticks quite nicely (at max stacks, I.e. 40, they were ticking for about 25k on average), was unable to hold aggro across many scarabs in any suitable way. We considered upgrading the strat to many tanks, for more taunts, etc, but rejected this as we wanted to try the kiting strat first. We had also tried this strat with 1) the tank healing himself to try and maintain an aggro lead (they cant attack the scarabs for threat as on 10man the bugs have too little health) and 2) with an NR decked pally healer doing the same. Unfortunately, our pally healer lacked the health pool and/or the mana pool (he had a tankset, we tried swapping in and our for a balance) to keep himself alive and in enough mana to continue spamming.
The main difficulty with this strat was the bugs' aggro. Too many stacks were building on too many people, and we were unable to reliably get more than 20 scarabs before the damage across the raid became too much to heal through.

Method 2 – Kite like crazy.
This method has the advantage of being a lot of fun. Essentially, the theory is to stack as much ice as possible around the room, to slow the scarabs' movement. Our mage, hunter and DK focused on doing so throughout the fight. No damage was necessary on Anub'arak, since he does not need to be killed to get the achievement. So while specific range classes are not necessary, we found that at least two ranged were needed to keep up a good flow of ice. Additionally, the DK, glyphed for deathgrip, proved invaluable, as he was able to accurately fill in any 'gaps' in the icerink we created.
Key things:
1) Skirt the outside of the ice as closely as possible. If the scarabs follow you off the ice and onto the ground around it, they will run at normal speed, and catch up to your raid, who must occasionally pause to heal/dps ice/be stunned by anub.

2) Bring a rogue with the lowest possible level of weapons, to do minimum damage, and have him running about tranquilizing the enrages off the bugs. This is a MUST, or the strat will fail.

3) Kite continually. While one or two of your raid members can afford to stop now and again, generally if you halt for more than 5 seconds, you will take a few stacks of the acid mandibles debuff, which will build across your raid incredibly quickly, forcing your healers to heal, which means stopping, and creates a loop which ultimately ends in a wipe.

4) Stay grouped up. With the exception of one or two members (in our case, the hunter and the DK) your raid must stay grouped up. The reason is, if an enraged scarab targets any member who is too far away, the rogue will not have enough time to reach them and tranquilize it before they have taken many stacks. The rogue should have to move no farther than 10 yards infront or behind Anub.

5) Keep downing ice. Throughout the fight, you must continually down ice. Gaps in the 'icerink' will allow scarabs to catch up to you, which is bad.

6) Get this - http://www.wowace.com/addons/scarabcount/ It will allow u to know how many scarabs are up.

7) Get ready to stack and nuke about halfway through the final (4th) burrow. Even if your scarab counter only shows ~35 up, more will be emerging that have not yet been registered. When anubarak emerges after this, he will have enraged.

8 ) Survival CDs for the nuke phase. When you stop kiting and nuke down the scarabs, there will be a sudden, enormous surge in incoming damage across the raid. We discovered this the hard way, with two wipes with only a couple of seconds/scarabs to go. In the end, we almost overkilled it in terms of safety, A pally popping Divsac, 3x Holy Wrath to stun, the shamans Earth elemental, a BoP on the mage so he could AoE, and the druid's tranquility.

That's about the face of it. We found that after his third burrow/emerge, RNG could be unkind (sometimes more scarabs will enrage, beyond our ability to heal/tranq), and the healing was becoming difficult in any case. Paladins can Bubble their own stacks off, but not HoP off others' stacks. Hand of freedom is useful in a pinch for people who need to run across the ice and not be slowed. You can check the wologs report below, and it will show the druid doing the bulk of the healing. In all honesty, we probably could have two healed it with a bit more practice, leaving only the druid and the priest. However, since you dont need more dps or tanks, you may as well stack some heals to give you a comfortable buffer. The druid healer is critical, as their hots will trivialize damage on anyone with stacks below 10, and they can move and heal continuously. Note that stacks fall off after 60 seconds, and that it is not unreasonable to go for that long without being bitten.

Hindsight – what we would have tried diferently given the opportunity
1) Brought a 2nd rogue
2) Brought a 2nd Resto druid
3) Checked to see if Iceblock removes stacks

We felt that either of those two options might have smoothed things over, and relieved the burdens on some of the raid members.

All in all, it was a fun, if frustrating achievement. This is by no means out of anyone's grasp in terms of gear or composition, its simply a gimmicky fight that requires(in this strat anyway) everyone to do what they do best while running in circles being chased by bugs.

Here is the Wologs parse for the fight:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/de2w ... 82&e=12597

The second to last attempt is the successful one, as we wiped on Anub afterwards due to basically everyone throwing up their hands in joy and completely ignoring the enraged Crypt Lord chewing on their faces, lol. The final attempt is us returning the favor, burning him down without even seeing a burrow phase, and thus no DAMNED SCARABS.

I hope this is helpful to anyone trying this achievement. It's not an easy one, and seems to be fairly rare given the numbers on various progression sites. We are still awaiting confirmation, but this appears to be a server first for us. Good luck to those who are attempting it too, and please post below if you have any specific questions, or anything to add that might help.

Sincerely,
-Auracle
Auracle

Postby inthedrops » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:45 pm

Did this on both 25 and 10. I must say that 10 was harder for some reason.

25:
We had rogues tricksing to the warrior tank that was tanking all the scarabs in nature resist gear. He didn't even have a shield although I'm not actually sure why. I'm sure there is a valid reason. He just stood in the center of the room as best as possible and took the hits. They don't hit for very much, so it's mostly the ticking damage that needs healing.

Two rogues total, one covered each side more or less.

We had two tanks for the burrowers because when we had just one tank (me) it was a pain due to people being spread out, ice, etc. One tank covered each side of the room in case they spawned on separate sides.

Everyone needs to be aware of if a scarab is on them and get in taunt range of the scarab tank and call it out.

We completed it after a few tries.

10:
On 10 we didn't have any rogues and only one hunter. After a few attempts we eventually gave up trying to tranq all the scarabs and just left them enraged if they were on the tank. Only tranqed loose ones not being tanked yet. Yet again we used a warrior tank in NR gear.

I did my best to freedom healers that had adds on them (two healers btw). Tanks would die nearish the end when too many people had too many stacks.

The trick on 10 man was making sure people were REALLY doing a good job of kiting and not getting hit until the warrior could taunt off them.

Also, a tip for both 10/25, when in burrow phase, make sure you position yourself in case you get chased so that you don't kite anub into the center on the add tank.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby fafhrd » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:56 pm

he probably didn't have a shield for fear that Damage Shield would kill some of them if he did (and he didn't want to respec just to unlearn it).
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon