Heroic Underbog - The Black Stalker

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Heroic Underbog - The Black Stalker

Postby Arcand » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:10 am

There might be a boss I hate more than this guy, but I'm not sure who it would be.

Pull him out of his room to where the ceiling's lower, so levitated casters have less range trouble.

As per normal for BC, use only ranged DPS to avoid getting murdered by Chain Lightning.

But what to do about the adds?

They're immune to fear.

One WoWhead post said that for every one you kill 2-3 take its place, so in case they meant that literally we've tried ignoring the adds...they proliferate to an insane degree.

Try to keep up with them and they still proliferate to an insane degree.

Sometimes they start spawning around 60%, other times we haven't seen any until more like 30%.

So far we've always managed to get this boss down, but last time we wiped four times before getting an attempt with very few adds. Any suggestions to help us perform better?

(The last run was me tanking, resto shaman, demonology warlock, retribution paladin and a rogue, which I realize violates my second principle above.)
Arcand

Postby Dorvan » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:22 am

On heroic the fight's more or less a DPS race...ignore the adds and burn the boss before they overwhelm you. Concentration Aura isn't a bad idea here, and you can use RD to keep adds off of specific players for a few seconds, though you probably don't want to drag the Black Stalker all over the place trying to actually pick up the adds.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Jensaarai » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:34 pm

Hate to say it but it might have been the ret pally :/ unless they were very well geared...that fight is a huge, huge dps race, if you don't down him fast you're hosed, what with the adds and the static charge :/
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Caerdwynn » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:37 pm

According to the patch notes, his adds are supposed to spawn at more regular intervals.

I've done him twice since 2.1, that seems to be the case.. they're at about 66 and 33%.

I found that knowing this mysteriously made the fight easier.. dunno what to tell ya beyond that :\

Jesus: "I can offer you eternal Salvation."
Disciples: "Can I get Might or Kings instead?"
Caerdwynn

Postby Jensaarai » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:58 pm

What killed my groups was:

melee gets static charge and wtfpwns him/herself and/or another melee

adds focus on some melee and wtfpwn him/her, loss of dps = wipe

healer can't keep up with damage done by adds and too many dps dies

healer gets levitated

melee dps gets levitated and loss of dps = wipe

what won imo was:

better geared dps? the boss died faster
a ranged got levitated
I might have been able to get some adds on me
insanely fast dps
healer got used to the fight
oh, did I mention fast dps?

This fight goes by too quickly and I haven't done it enough times to put forth a very solid strategy but I can tell you one thing I learned is that incredibly fast dps has always done it for me. Have to ignore the adds as they have like 5k+ hp and take too long to kill, plus they spawn so quickly you can never keep up with them anyway. You have to trust your healer to keep enough dps up and trust your dps to move away when they get static charge (I believe this damages the adds...maybe that's what you're supposed to do?) and frontload as much threat as possible.
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics