Remove Advertisements

[25-hard] Anub'arak Video - with commentary

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25-hard] Anub'arak Video - with commentary

Postby knaughty » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:47 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky7jSH4AbS0

From out first kill a week ago.

Got to Anub with 50 wipes available this week, but only got Mad skill, not Insane.

We use the One MT / One OT strat, also only have 6 healers. Makes the DPS checks easy to hit.

Stuffed up recording the "Mad Skill" second kill, so one more week before I do a higher-res one. Raw un-commented video is available, same YouTube account.
Last edited by knaughty on Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Re: Anub'Hard Video

Postby guillex » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:37 pm

Can only imagine what things sounded like on Vent while that was going on ... Not as calm and collected as you sound in your commentary, I'd wager!

Very well done vid, well put together with everything laid out in commentary.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Re: Anub'Hard Video

Postby knaughty » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:01 pm

guillex wrote:Can only imagine what things sounded like on Vent while that was going on ... Not as calm and collected as you sound in your commentary, I'd wager!

Very well done vid, well put together with everything laid out in commentary.

Surprisingly calm right up until we lost the two healers. We'd already had several Phase 3 attempts, two wipes around 2% (one the week previous, one the week of the kill).

Things got very exited once MT healer died.... and I didn't.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Re: [25-hard] Anub'arak Video - with commentary

Postby Meloree » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:42 pm

Nice video.

Why do you turn and run, though, rather than strafe? It's still full run speed, and you can always be "facing" the boss to dodge and dps.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Re: [25-hard] Anub'arak Video - with commentary

Postby knaughty » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:39 am

Meloree wrote:Nice video.

Thanks.
Meloree wrote:Why do you turn and run, though, rather than strafe? It's still full run speed, and you can always be "facing" the boss to dodge and dps.

It just isn't required, so I don't bother.

Healing load for the first 70% of Anub's health is miniscule. Damage taken while running is the same as damage taken while frozen. Healers cope with it easily, so why risk an issue.

I've been quite explicitly told by my healers that they're going into Leeching Cold phase with everyone at full mana and all CDs available. Thus, there's absolutely no benefit to risking an issue with positioning - the Holy Pally can't start P2 with 101% mana, after all.

We're also at least 20 seconds ahead of the DPS benchmark, even of a bad attempt.

However, one error with kite phase or Anub position at start of the phase is probably a wipe. Since there's no benefit to giving a "few extra DPS seconds of not moving" and no advantage in healer mana to "avoid a few attacks" my personal tactics concentrate on the stuff that can cause problems - making sure Anub is in the right spot.

Thus, turn and run at 20 seconds to burrow. Don't bother strafing, don't bother giving people a few extra seconds of stationary boss, just get him in position.

You'll see for the second burrow phase, he does his "stand around looking stupid trick". I'm not taking melee damage... because he's not in range. He also can hang around even a bit longer than he does that time. Thus the leaving at 20 seconds. If he burrows too close to the first ice patch, it can be nearly impossible to move in time from where he is. (Aussie ping + slow reactions from some people). We have one spare ice patch, and it is technically possible to recover from breaking the first... but I don't think we've ever managed it - too much can go wrong too fast.

Last aspect may be personal ping. I play with 250-300 ms, which is pretty good for Australia. Positioning bosses has always been sketchy, especially ones with large hit-boxes. I've been trained to move long distances then stop. Small adjustments are often a problem. Does seem to be less of an issue nowadays, but it's a long habit. This said, Anub is the first boss I've done the "spin and run" thing. Every other one has been either "back up" or "strafe".
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon