Remove Advertisements

Defense :(

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Defense :(

Postby Vanifae » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:11 am

So I upgraded a ton of gear in the last two weeks, since 2.3; Badge boots, chest, cloak, and leggings, and just got the tanking shield off the Dragonhawk boss, and one thing I have noticed is that my Defense went down a ton...

To the point I had to socket Defense gems to make up the difference.

Anyone else had this issue? I know I have seen a ton of posts where people are trying to reduce points in Anticipation, because in my experience it seems like Defense is on the decline.

But then again I am in Tier 4/Karazhan gear with a smattering of Badge gear plus ZA.

Edit: Before Patch I was at 509, and now I am at 493; on the upside my avoidance went up quite a bit as well as block.
Last edited by Vanifae on Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby ulushnar » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:25 am

I was at 490 before the patch, I'm now at 483. If it wasn't for the Resilience on the Merciless Gladiator's Shield Wall, I'd be crittable.

I now have a stock of Enduring Talasites for future upgrades and I think if I change my shield, there's a good chance I'll have to reequip the Adamantine Figurine in place of Moroe's Lucky Pocket Watch.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Taeron » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:34 am

Yep, I noticed badge gear has much lower defense numbers than Karazhan/tier4 items. The defense rating is slightly higher only on warrior belt (Iron tusk I think it's called) and on bracers, if I remember correctly.

Otherwise, I'm upgrading slowly so I don't penalize myself too much in any of the avoidance areas. And as you said, I'm compensating with gems as best I can.

So far I replaced leggings and cloak, will get the chest next and was aiming for the boots after, but not unless I get the ring off Aran first.
Taeron

Postby Gerilith » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:50 am

I look forward to "my" BT-drops to or I'll get some problems...
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Worldie » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:09 am

I went from 511 to 490ish.

The lower defence is the price to pay for the very high stam and avoidance on the badge items.

I'm planning to use some of those +stam/+def gems from MH/BT as soon as i ding Revered.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby YoYoMa » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:57 am

imo the za/badge gear seems like decent block value gear, but not that useful for building a mitigation set.
YoYoMa

Postby Tekkel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:30 am

Aye i've had the same problem but it's basicly when I equip the parry gloves. They give me a huge ap/av boost over tier4 gloves but lacking defense and +dmg ofcourse.
With swapping in my sun eater together with the hp gloves I can still reach 490 but it's really hard to get there for me lately even with 5/5 anticipation. Equipping Hydross his trinket solves the problem but then I lose either the dodge rating from moroes or drop my 51 stam trinket. All in All I just need some more defense rating items. Mostly looking at tier5 shoulders and Helm.
Tekkel

Postby Tahl » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:46 am

It's probably been mentioned before, but changing the enchant on your bracers from +12 stam to +12 defense will give you a better tradeoff than swapping a solid star of elune (+12 stam) for a thick dawnstone (+8 def). It's a good place to start anyway.
Tahl

Postby Viskahn » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:53 am

ive been struggling for defense for a while now. the main problem is that my shoulders dont give me ANY, and several of my other pieces have pretty low defense too. ive settled on just using my scarab of displacement to beef it up well over the mark.
hopefully the eagle in ZA will grant me his shoulders so i can revert back to moroes watch for the extra avoidance.
Viskahn
Maintankadonor

Postby Neuron » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:59 am

Worldie wrote:The lower defence (defense) is the price to pay for the very high stam and avoidance (and block rating and block value and gem slots and higher armor) on the badge items.

I got a little upset at first that some of the items I worked for in Black Temple were barely upgrades from some of this stuff, but then I looked at the defense rating on the ZA/badge items. There is like none of it! They also lack some spell damage in many cases.

I will probably get flamed, but honestly, the new gear is your opportunity to use enduring talasites and spell damage gems and dodge gems and pure defense. If you are sitting in this gear it might be a little too early for you to just stack more stamina.

Sitting at 18k or more HP is useless if your spell damage is at 200 and your defense < 490 and your avoidance is at 45%.

The thing is, the "target stamina" on the item seems to be built into the base stat distribution, meaning that the gems slots are there for you to add threat and avoidance. At least, that is how I interpret the developer's intention here. And honestly, you might only be giving up about 1000hp in the end.

These new items are a great gift to tankadins if you socket them properly. We get the higher armor, higher base stamina, and higher block value. We simultaneously got a 10% stamina buff. Now the point is, add in some dodge and defense in your gems!
http://www.ardentdefender.com - A combat log parsing API
Neuron

Postby jere » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:21 am

I tend to socket like this:

Blue - SS
Red - 6stam/5+dmg, 6stam/5dodge, 6stam/5parry
Yellow - 6stam/4def

It keeps me at a healthy stamina level and gives me a bit of balance on gear. Occasionally I do all SS, but only on stuff where I know I can get away with it and still maintain the balance I want.
jere

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:26 am

jere wrote:I tend to socket like this:

Blue - SS
Yellow - 6stam/4def

It keeps me at a healthy stamina level and gives me a bit of balance on gear. Occasionally I do all SS, but only on stuff where I know I can get away with it and still maintain the balance I want.

I agree with this sentiment. There's no reason to give up pure avoidance imo.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Bige » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:33 am

Sabindeus wrote:
jere wrote:I tend to socket like this:

Blue - SS
Yellow - 6stam/4def

I agree with this sentiment. There's no reason to give up pure avoidance imo.

Agreed. Especially now that the socket bonus is actually worth not stacking SS's in every socket.
Bige

Postby Vanifae » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:35 am

Yeah I resocketed my gear I am really happy with the results now.

I lost some health but I picked up more avoidance and mitigation.

The ZA shield is pretty much the best you can get till Hyjal/BT.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:39 am

Vanifae wrote:Yeah I resocketed my gear I am really happy with the results now.

I lost some health but I picked up more avoidance and mitigation.

The ZA shield is pretty much the best you can get till Hyjal/BT.

So far the only piece of tank loot to drop from ZA for me is the Jungle Stompers.

I already had the blacksmithing boots.

:(
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Next

Return to General