Inexperienced Tank In Need of Wisdom

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Inexperienced Tank In Need of Wisdom

Postby faelthalas » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:55 am

Thanks of taking the time to view this post.

A link to my wowarmory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... Faelthalas

Basically I'm seeking assistance as to what to do next, where to get gear, what I can tank etc.

I've not tanked many instances, being a father and working full time, I've leveled up rather casually. But now I would love to go deeper.

With my current gear, what can I feasibly tank? Where should I be getting better gear?

Thanks everyone and I appreciate your patience in dealing with an inexperienced tank!
faelthalas

Re: Inexperienced Tank In Need of Wisdom

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:03 am

At this point in time, you are currently only really geared to tank heroics, and you're going to want a good, on the ball, healer. Stick with the easier ones such as Utgarde Keep, Nexus, Violet Hold and maybe CoS.

Your gear will be coming from heroics and emblem items. I wouldn't start looking at raids unless you're going as the offtank (Naxx and OS only), until your hp goes up to about 24-25k.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Zobel » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:26 am

These days, the steps for gearing up a new tank without any raiding are:

Step 1: get crafted tempered saronite gear and titansteel shield wall.

Step 2: Chain normal ToC runs until you get all the ilvl 200 tanking epic drops.

Step 3: do hToC for ilvl 219 epic drops and other heroics for badge gear and ilvl 200 epic drops.

Step 3a: if peacekeeper blade refuses to drop in hToC (and red sword of courage refuses to drop in UP), eventually spend 25 champion's seals on axe of the sen'jin protector. Do the argent tournament quests to get more seals (and argent crusade rep).

Step 3b: if you have the money, get crafted runed-orb or crusader-orb gear.

Step 4: keep doing step 3 until Icecrown Citadel is released with patch 3.3.

You've already done step 1 (or its equivalent). So do step 2. To speed it up, try to pick non-plate wearing dps if you're picking your own groups.
Last edited by Zobel on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
Zobel

Postby faelthalas » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:29 am

I've got both of the items you listed.

So, in your estimation I am geared to run ToC?
faelthalas

Postby katraya » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:43 am

I'd also recommend running regular Utegard Pinnacle (or is it HoL?) for the tankign weapon and def trinket. Try to get the Tempered saronite chest rather than the dps one you have. Your gear is almost fine for heroics (short a couple defense) but otherwise your gear is much like the sets most of us were running heroics in when we first hit 80. The real struggle will be getting groups to accept you with your gear, because a year into this expansion many people want a tank who is already overgeared for heroics to run heroics. Make sure to enchant the few pieces you haven't done yet.

Best of luck to you though, you seem to be on the right track.
Last edited by katraya on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Zobel » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:48 am

faelthalas wrote:I've got both of the items you listed.

Yes. Regular ToC isn't much of a gear check, except for the healer.

Your chest piece is a little strange, but you've enchanted it and it has more stamina than the easy alternatives (tempered saronite and the kalu'ak chest, all lower ilvl), so I guess don't worry about it for now. You'll want 535 defense skill to run heroics, but you'll probably get there with the normal ToC epics. You'll probably spend your first Emblem of Conquest badges on the T8 chest, unless you upgrade your libram first.

Your tabard says you're working on wyrmcrest rep, presumably for the revered boots. Once you get those, switch to argent crusade rep for the revered helm enchant.
Zobel

Postby Arcand » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:53 pm

faelthalas wrote:I've got both of the items you listed.

A major thing you can do to ease your ToC experience - bring somebody who can remove diseases, preferably with a 'remove-on-tick' mechanic.

The Black Knight doesn't hit very hard with zero diseases up, but if you let him stack two diseases he'll rock you pretty good. Having Abolish Disease or a Cleansing Totem up makes a really noticeable difference.

(The other thing is don't fail miserably when the huge gaggle of ghouls spawns, but as a tankadin the deck's stacked in your favor there.)
Arcand

Postby faelthalas » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll take a look at my chest piece and try and get the right one. I didn't realize I had the DPS chest.

It is pretty hard to get folks to run the heroics I need. I'm pretty new to the guild I'm in too, so hopefully they'll be a help to me in that area.
faelthalas

Postby Alixander » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:31 pm

katraya wrote:I'd also recommend running regular Utegard Pinnacle (or is it HoL?) for the tankign weapon and def trinket.
It's Halls of Lightning. The 2nd boss (fire guy!) drops the blue tanking sword and Loken drops the defense trinket, which you should get even if you get a better tanking weapon as there is no better (or any other for that matter) defense trinket outside of raids.
Alixander

Postby phaqueue » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:13 am

I can understand rocking the wyrmrest tabard for the boots... but honestly - first thing on a new tank should always be the helm enchant... you can buy or get to drop boots that are close to the wyrmrest ones... the helm enchant has no replacement...

just an idea :)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Njall » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:38 am

phaqueue wrote:I can understand rocking the wyrmrest tabard for the boots... but honestly - first thing on a new tank should always be the helm enchant... you can buy or get to drop boots that are close to the wyrmrest ones... the helm enchant has no replacement...

just an idea :)

And working for the Argent Crusade is just good policy on a pally.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Argali » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:52 pm

I think you don't need wisdom, but sanctuary instead ^_^
Argali

Return to Basic Training & Talents