Remove Advertisements

Link to Gear Score Addon

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Link to Gear Score Addon

Postby sherck » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:26 am

I used the Curse client to download/install a Gearscore addon but it seems to not be the correct one that everyone else is using on my server (i.e. the one assocaited with WoW Heroes). The one I downloaded gave a very over-inflated GS that made it unusuable for the purposes I was looking for.

When I go to the WoW Heroes website, I can search profiles for their GS but cannot find a link to the addon that allows me to download a client to see other people's GS ingame.

Anyone have the link to the one assocaited with WoW Heroes? The only one I can find on the Curse site seems to be the overinflated one.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
sherck

Re: Link to Gear Score Addon

Postby kanst » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:38 am

Don't use gear scores

That addon is a plague on the game on WoW
kanst

Postby guillex » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:22 am

kanst wrote:Don't use gear scores

This.

My wife and I rolled toons on FizzcrankUS, and I've never, ever, ever seen so much spam about gearscores in LFG.

Maybe I'm just used to Direct Defiance, but MAN it's annoying. What would happen to the game if GearScore suddenly dropped off the face of the addon world? People would have to go back to finding good players in good gear again? OHNOES!
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby sherck » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:56 am

That is a fine attitude to have...but when you are the new 80 that is attempting to get into PuG raids dominated by people who want to know your GS, it does not help much.

I play one night a week. A good raiding guild is out of the question because no one wants a healer who will only be there one night a week. So, for me, PuG is the only option to healing Heroic after Heroic after Heroic....

So, thanks for your input but does anyone have an actual answer to my question?

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Epimer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:37 am

Your GearScore and your WoW Heroes rating are two separate numbers. For example, my prot set has a 2618 WoW Heroes rating and a GearScore of around 4800-something.

The GearScore addon is here (light version here).

For what it's worth, I despise this addon and it's use/abuse too. But I am sympathetic to the OP's need to know what his score is; I just recently transferred to a server where GS demands are absolutely rife and if you want to PuG a raid, you have to have some idea of what your GS is. And "high enough that you don't have to worry about it" doesn't tend to solidify an invite, much as I'd like it too.
Epimer

Postby kanst » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:19 pm

I am sorry I gave you an attitude, but the whole obsession with gear scores is absolutely pathetic.

Its just peoples attitude of NEVER wanting to wipe on anything. There are certain things I understand wanting to know people are geared enough for. But the fact that I see people asking for gear scores for heroic runs really pisses me off.

My pally is geared enough in any spec to run any instance basically, when I pug and they ask for my gear score I just say "no thanks". Its dumb. Skill is much more important then gear, if you wipe look at recount, see who did crap damage see who died to fire. Remove them and replace them. Its the exact same process guilds use.
kanst

Postby Spectrum » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:39 pm

It's a shortcut, and people have been doing it for a long time. Before gear scores I would have to go armory a person, then check all the items, see what level they are, check socket choices, gems, etc. It was a pain. Having a lot of that information wrapped up into one handy-dandy number helps a lot. It makes it quick and easy to see if that person who just whispered you for that PUG spot has at least a minimal level of gear for the instance.

And yes, I check gear because when you have never run with someone before you want to see that they are at least somewhat geared for the instance (e.g. no blues for Ulduar/ToC) and if you have the choice of two, the one with higher gear will be the better choice 99% of the time. Also, it helps to see whether someone put some thought into their gear. Do they have good gems? Enchants? If not, it's a sure sign this person doesn't take things seriously.

I really don't care if you're secretly uber. You may be able to pull 5k DPS in your Naxx gear, but unless you tell me that I have no way of knowing. Also, some people greatly inflate their accomplishments, but it is very hard to inflate your gear score.

So I didn't answer the OP's question, but I wanted to defend the gearscore practice that some of these people seem so against.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Epimer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:06 pm

I still armoury people. I'd rather see what raid bosses they've killed (not for "you must have cleared this instance to be allowed to run this instance" reasons, just for a brief idea). I can pad my GearScore by around 200 points by equipping items I would never tank something in (Ret belt from Heroic Beasts, any non iLvl 200 trinket, etc). My resto shaman gets bounced from groups for being "undergeared" when I can comfortably heal any non-HM/heroic instance in the game without being carried (4500 GS). It's not a valuable metric in a lot of - dare I say most - cases.
Epimer

Postby sherck » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:08 pm

Epimer wrote:Your GearScore and your WoW Heroes rating are two separate numbers. For example, my prot set has a 2618 WoW Heroes rating and a GearScore of around 4800-something.

Hmmm...I wondered about that. On my server, the PuG Onyxia raids are typically saying "GS 2300+ for invite" but I had a GS of 2300 when I was level 78 in all quest blues.

What they really want is a WoW Heroes rating of 2300+, not a GS. My old Holy Pally who is fully Naxx-25 geared with a few Ulduar-10 pieces only has a WoW Heroes rating of 2250. However, his GS due to the addon is 4200.

So that Gearscore addon is correct and most of the posters are just asking for the WoW Heroes rating? Sigh...good to know.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby kanst » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:43 pm

Spectrum wrote: the one with higher gear will be the better choice 99% of the time.

I thoroughly disagree with that statement. I would 100% rather take someone in half blues from a top ranked guild then full epics from a mediocre guild. Skill greatly trumps guild.

If I am starting a pug I look at guild first, then I look at health. Stam directly trends with Ilevel basically, so if the caster has 12k health hes prob in leveling gear. Then I start. Anything that is especially puggable can be done with people in mediocre gear. Our guild runs and Alt TOC 25 every week, its just guild alts and a handful of pugs to fill it out. Sure it takes longer then our main runs but we never have issues.

Gear scores would be alright if people used reasonable ones. If you are pugging Naxx, people should be in blue and BOE epics, that is the gear level for that instance, if you are pugging VOA, a combo of pvp and pve gear is perfectly fine. Id have no issues if it was used like that, but to ask for someone in full Ulduar epics for VOA is just stupid.
kanst

Postby theckhd » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:04 am

kanst wrote:Gear scores would be alright if people used reasonable ones. If you are pugging Naxx, people should be in blue and BOE epics, that is the gear level for that instance, if you are pugging VOA, a combo of pvp and pve gear is perfectly fine. Id have no issues if it was used like that, but to ask for someone in full Ulduar epics for VOA is just stupid.

While you can pug Naxx in blues and boe epics, that doesn't mean you must.

People looking for unreasonable gear scores for Naxx are really looking for a fast clear for badges. Every undergeared person they carry slows the run down, which is counter to their goal. If the options are to clear the instance in 2 hours by overgearing it or in 4 hours by allowing less geared players in, most people will prefer the 2-hour clear. I know I'd always love to have an extra 2 hours to do other things.

Does that suck for people who are geared "appropriately" for the instance and just want a raid spot? Yes, but the simple fact is that it's an economy - if there are enough people with high gearscore willing to run Naxx in this manner for badges, then these runs will continue. If that population doesn't exist, the runs will either have to lower their standards or the people organizing will just quit bothering.

And none of this really addresses the root problem - it's hard to summarize a player with a number. Gearscore or WH score, while crude, is just another way of using the armory to gauge a player's gear level. But it tells you nothing about that player's skill, which you really can't get without directly playing with them. You could try to approximate it with a "Achievement Score" of some type that's derived from their achievements (surprised nobody's written this mod yet, in fact), but even that won't tell you if they're a terrible player being carried by their guild or an all-star.

So yeah, GS is of limited usefulness, but it's quick and efficient enough that most people find it helpful. I don't use it myself (I rarely bother leading pugs), but consider it from the point of view of someone putting together a pug. They don't care about you personally - to them you're a faceless entity that may or may not be terrible. If setting a minimum GS requirement weeds out 90% of the poor players, and they save more time by avoiding wipes than you lose by waiting longer to build the group, then it's a net positive trade-off for them.

kanst wrote:I thoroughly disagree with that statement. I would 100% rather take someone in half blues from a top ranked guild then full epics from a mediocre guild. Skill greatly trumps guild.

It can, but a skilled player who is gear-limited to 3k dps will not ever do more than 3k dps. If you're going to pug an instance with a boss that requires 4k+ dps from each player on average, you're going to look for players who are at least capable of that baseline, guild or not.

If I am starting a pug I look at guild first, then I look at health. Stam directly trends with Ilevel basically, so if the caster has 12k health hes prob in leveling gear. Then I start. Anything that is especially puggable can be done with people in mediocre gear. Our guild runs and Alt TOC 25 every week, its just guild alts and a handful of pugs to fill it out. Sure it takes longer then our main runs but we never have issues.

So, how exactly is looking at stam any different than using a contrived score based on any other item-based gear metric?
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby kanst » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:55 am

Looking at stam is just faster and less precise then Gear Score. Obviously you dont want someone severely undergeared, but other then that I dont personally care about gear. If you have enough health to survive the raid AOE im fine.

Another problem with GS is its not smart. You could have 2 ret pallies in all the same gear, the first is using double expertise trinkets from ToC the other a DMC:G and a wrath stone. That first guy is going to have a higher gear score even though his trinkets suck
kanst

Postby kysu » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:37 pm

Too bad it all just goes from I-lvl. Too bad it doesn't show correct gemming and gearing.

Skill > gear

I play a resto druid time to time. 4800 gs, I pugged a 25M ICC all i heard was "ZOMG HES UNDER 5.4K HES A BADDIE"... I told them If they could beat me on meters I'd pay each healer 5k gold and if I beat them they pay me a total of 5K.

Guess who got 5k richer?

Btw these healers were from "top" guilds.. somone has to carry them right?

My statement as I left for the night ..."weak"
kysu

Postby Dianora » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:37 pm

guillex wrote:

This.

My wife and I rolled toons on FizzcrankUS, and I've never, ever, ever seen so much spam about gearscores in LFG.

Maybe I'm just used to Direct Defiance, but MAN it's annoying. What would happen to the game if GearScore suddenly dropped off the face of the addon world? People would have to go back to finding good players in good gear again? OHNOES!

The current minimum score needed to get into a pug ICC10 is 5300... Boy I'm glad my dk and mage alt meet the requirement.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby hoho » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:07 pm

Gearscore sucks. Elitistgroup is pretty decent tool.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Next

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros