3.3 spec

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

3.3 spec

Postby Awyndel » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:58 am

Just wanna have some speculation about what spec we should use in 3.3, if we should make any changes.

Couple of things to think about:

- what mob types will the bosses be for sotp vs crusade goodness?
- movement fights like toc to warrant run speed?
- Divinity. Way less avoidance, way more spikes, and potentially lower relative hit sizes when we get more gear ( at least blizz promised ) , makes me think there will be less overhealing and less topping off. Meaning Divinity becomes viable.
- with SS being useless when cast by us, and most holy and rets getting all 3 points for utility, should we be spending those somewhere else?
- will the 20% raid damage reduction be usable in any way for ourselves? Does it work on yourself? Does it work when alone in a group or should we group up with healers?
- Will there be fights where stun resist or shorter hammer of justice cd's will be usefull?
- glyphs: is salvation gonna be a wanted cd because we get spiked a lot? Are there gonna be a lot of taunt fights?
- will the sky still be blue?

Can't think of anything else atm, please post anything you have :) .
User avatar
Awyndel
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:49 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: 3.3 spec

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:15 am

Awyndel wrote:Just wanna have some speculation about what spec we should use in 3.3, if we should make any changes.

Couple of things to think about:

- what mob types will the bosses be for sotp vs crusade goodness?

Nothing changes here. Since undead will be the theme of the citadel, expect crusade to be way up.
Awyndel wrote:- movement fights like toc to warrant run speed?

Marrowgar alone already justifies some movement, i doubt there will be few movement fights, they tend to be the main type of fights.
Awyndel wrote:- Divinity. Way less avoidance, way more spikes, and potentially lower relative hit sizes when we get more gear ( at least blizz promised ) , makes me think there will be less overhealing and less topping off. Meaning Divinity becomes viable.

We'll still be healing like madmen because stuff has to kill us very fast. The drop on hit sizes is relative to the no-radiance alternative. Don't worry, we'll be overhealed almost as much as we already are.
Awyndel wrote:- with SS being useless when cast by us, and most holy and rets getting all 3 points for utility, should we be spending those somewhere else?

I think they reverted SS, didn't they? Now it's only loss in on the HoT procs for non-holy
Awyndel wrote:- will the 20% raid damage reduction be usable in any way for ourselves? Does it work on yourself? Does it work when alone in a group or should we group up with healers?

Logic dictates *everyone* gets the DR. Can't tell how it'll be yet but don't expect it to be a reliable "let's go to group8" tanking CD.
Awyndel wrote:- Will there be fights where stun resist or shorter hammer of justice cd's will be usefull?

Were there ever? They're not the norm anywhere.
Awyndel wrote:- glyphs: is salvation gonna be a wanted cd because we get spiked a lot? Are there gonna be a lot of taunt fights?

See movement fights and avoidance drop comments
Awyndel wrote:- will the sky still be blue?

Here, right now, it's gray and orange.
Awyndel wrote:Can't think of anything else atm, please post anything you have :) .
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 15540
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Re: 3.3 spec

Postby Spectrum » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:14 pm

They stated that the whole purpose of the avoidance drop is to make fight less spiky and thus make it so healers don't have to spam heals and overheal all the time. I think Divinity will be useful, and I expect more fights where tank damage is not the main concern and so there will be more leeway for DoTs and well-timed large heals.

I would be surprised if there wasn't a lot of moving around picking up mobs and such, especially as an OT.

I would be surprised if there wasn't a few fights with lots of raid damage, for which the raid-wide damage reduction would be handy. It's like a CD for your raid. If nothing else, you can use it to take some pressure off your healers. Think Twins, Anub, FC, XT, Hodir.

We're going to have to wait to see how the SS changes really shake out though...
Spectrum
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:40 pm
Location: Silvermoon, Alliance

Re: 3.3 spec

Postby Chasey » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:15 pm

Awyndel wrote:Just wanna have some speculation about what spec we should use in 3.3, if we should make any changes.

Couple of things to think about:

- what mob types will the bosses be for sotp vs crusade goodness?
- movement fights like toc to warrant run speed?
- Divinity. Way less avoidance, way more spikes, and potentially lower relative hit sizes when we get more gear ( at least blizz promised ) , makes me think there will be less overhealing and less topping off. Meaning Divinity becomes viable.
- with SS being useless when cast by us, and most holy and rets getting all 3 points for utility, should we be spending those somewhere else?
- will the 20% raid damage reduction be usable in any way for ourselves? Does it work on yourself? Does it work when alone in a group or should we group up with healers?
- Will there be fights where stun resist or shorter hammer of justice cd's will be usefull?
- glyphs: is salvation gonna be a wanted cd because we get spiked a lot? Are there gonna be a lot of taunt fights?
- will the sky still be blue?

Can't think of anything else atm, please post anything you have :) .


Good questions!
-I can see divinity becoming more viable, at least early on with less spike damage and more raid damage.
-I've always been shy on the glyph of salv, we have a few retarted mages that don't give inital aggro time let alone pull back if you say, pull back for a second.
-PoJ is in my MUST haves, seeing as I ot or get adds most of the time. I'm last on the seniorty list so I get that duty but its all good. When I spec holy I don't have it and I want to cry :(
~~~If a ret locks me out of my Shield wall, and I don't have a cool down because of the LoH change, my sky will always be grey...lol
We shall see how this goes.
User avatar
Chasey
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:57 pm

Re: 3.3 spec

Postby Worldie » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:55 pm

Until things changes, consider DS+DG mandatory for any prot or holy paladin.

If they change the change (pun intended) then i'll prolly stick to Reckoning.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13439
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Re: 3.3 spec

Postby Serv » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:25 am

I gotta see the whole instance in 10man mode to make any decisions. Right now I'm tanking every boss and got no use for DS/DG and therefore spent the 3 points into Reck. If there are at least 3 or 4 situations where the tankdamage turns into raidwide damage, so I am more or less safe to use it, I'm gonna give it a shot.
If not, there'll be 3 other Paladins to use the raidwall.

The same argument is viable for Divinity. Although i doubt there will be less enough bosses not two shotting me in hardmodes.
Image
Thanks to LAVE for the sig

www.rent-a-tank.net ...:::... www.nil-gilde.net
Serv
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:50 am

Re: 3.3 spec

Postby theckhd » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:54 pm

Serv wrote:Right now I'm tanking every boss and got no use for DS/DG and therefore spent the 3 points into Reck.

With the current set of changes, DS+DG turns into a one-button 20% raidwall with no downside. There's always a use for another cooldown.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 7972
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: 3.3 spec

Postby Serv » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:41 am

Then I must have misread the description. I thought it was linked to the damage redirect from your party, which will break when I hit 20%
Image
Thanks to LAVE for the sig

www.rent-a-tank.net ...:::... www.nil-gilde.net
Serv
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:50 am

Re: 3.3 spec

Postby Alixander » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:34 pm

Serv wrote:Then I must have misread the description. I thought it was linked to the damage redirect from your party, which will break when I hit 20%
It's possible that you didn't. The ability has gone through a couple iterations, one of which the 20% raidwall faded when you took enough damage to remove the absorbtion effect, but Blizzard realized that people would just put a paladin off in a party with one other to activate it to get the raidwall effect. Blizzard just figured that this was too ridiculous, so instead they shortened the duration of the raidwall (originally 10 or 12 seconds, shortened to 6) but disconnected it from whether the absorbtion effect is up.
Alixander
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 11:51 am
Location: Berkeley, CA


Return to Basic Training & Talents

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest