Remove Advertisements

[Twin Valkyrie] Preparation for Boss #4

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [Twin Valkyrie] Preparation for Boss #4

Postby Belloc » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:20 pm

Dane wrote:Hmmm, it wasn't Unleashed Light/Dark that was killing us then. I watched people drop dead who definately weren't getting hit.

I'm thinking raid heals just needed to step it up. People still take damage in Vortex, even if they're attuned...just not as much.

One last thing. People didn't like my stacking strat, because they said the balls home in on the group. Is that accurate, or do they spawn, and travel on a straight-line vector?

Balls do not home in on anyone. They travel in a set direction and just bounce off walls. This is proven by raids using the door strategy. The majority of the orbs in the room spend a considerable time bouncing around harmlessly until they finally hit the right angle to cause them to aim towards the door.

When an orb hits someone, it blows up and deals AOE damage to players within 8 yards (not small).

Also, the only damage that people take during a vortex, assuming they are the correct color, is the Surge damage that occurs constantly throughout the fight. Each twin has an AOE pulse, ticking every two seconds, that hits people not attuned to that color. So, when a dark vortex is going on, dark attuned players are still taking damage from Surge of Light. This is no different than any other part of the fight and it should not be causing you wipes.

If players are dying during a vortex, the only reasons are: Orbs (unleashed dark/light), Surges (which every single person in the raid takes damage from every 2 seconds for the entire fight), or the Vortex itself (meaning they failed to switch polarities quickly enough).

Long story short, the reason people die during vortex is because healers are switching polarity and people are running into orbs. There's no other reason. Once people stop running into orbs, they'll stop dying. The orbs, themselves, are bigger than they appear. If you simply side step and let the model pass right by you, you're still hitting them. Consider the orbs as a cube that extends a couple yards out from the orb itself. Once everyone understands that, there is no excuse to ever get hit by an orb. The only reason that anyone can truthfully give is that they didn't pay enough attention.
Belloc

Postby Dane » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:24 pm

Well, I guess it had to have been the surge damage, at least in one specific instance. I know for certain that it wasn't the orbs. I had been yelling at my wife to watch out for them and to stop dying, and so I watched very closely the next attempt as she was the last one to the portal (the vortex had already started, and everyone else had cleared out), switch polarities, then took several ticks of damage while she was all on her lonesome. She didn't get hit by any orbs, and she wasn't close enough to anyone else to get the AoE splash.

Better raid heals are needed, I'm thinking.
Dane

Postby Belloc » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:10 pm

If she hit the portal after the vortex started, then the ticks of the vortex that she ate were the cause of her death. Vortex hits for, like, 10k per tick. The Surge ticking afterwards is just the icing on the cake.

Unless you are using a strategy that relies on cooldowns to survive the vortex, it is completely unacceptable for anyone in the raid to take so much as a single tick of any vortex.
Belloc

Postby Dane » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:35 pm

Thus, why I was yelling at her to stop dying.

I really need to get her a better computer. She uses my work laptop which is NOT made for gaming. It does fine in10's but 25's are brutal, even with the settings at the lowest.
Dane

Postby Belloc » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:36 pm

Dane wrote:Thus, why I was yelling at her to stop dying.

I really need to get her a better computer. She uses my work laptop which is NOT made for gaming. It does fine in10's but 25's are brutal, even with the settings at the lowest.

Oh man, tell me about it. One of my favorite raiders tends to get between 1-5 FPS on certain fights. I feel so bad for him, since it's going to get him left out on occasion.
Belloc

Postby HannahBelle » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:10 pm

This fight used to be an affair for my runs until we switched to a one tank, three healer strat. In the span of one week we went from running up against the enrage timer because shields weren't dropping fast enough to almost defeating it before the speed kill timer on DBM. This is for normal ToC10 for any guilds having issues defeating this boss.

Basically, everyone attunes dark at the beginning. I will tank both adds by the white portal, with primary focus on Lightbane (AoE spells are enough to keep healer aggro from pulling Darkbane). Everyone clusters up and dps' Lightbane. Usual healer comp is a shammy, tree, and pally, although occasionally it is tree, tree, shammy. If Lightbane shields or Darkbane vortexes we are proper color and life goes on like normal. If Darkbane shields or Lightbane vortexes we click the portal we are standing on, switch targets, and life proceeds as normal. Once the special ability is done, I kite them over to a dark portal. Rinse repeat until dead.

Tank damage was not that bad, and the AoE damage will only insta-gib a low health dps'er about every other run, and it usually only happens if we are shifting portals during a heavy rain of the orbs. This solved the problem for us of dps not being able to to get the proper color and dps the shield down in time to prevent a shield. The fight is alittle tougher on the healers, but they actually prefer it this way because it makes it a fight of about 1/3 the length of time. This probably isn't a strat for everyone, but it worked for us, maybe because our guild strength has always been tank and healer talent. My dps'ers make me want to cry sometimes. :(
HannahBelle

Postby Anorian » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:12 am

Thats our hardmode 25 tactic except with casters with white buffs to catch the white balls making sure none hit the melee+healer goup :)

But to honest if your dpsers don't do enough dps to kill the shields with normal tactic, 2 tanks and both twins at their starting position, you should question your dps'ers.
Anorian

Previous

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon