Arena- PHD comp

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Arena- PHD comp

Postby Joanadark » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:28 am

I recently hit 2200 on my alt pally Rhaige running the PHD comp (Holy Paladin, Survival hunter, unholy DK) and was wondering if anyone else had experience with the comp.
Specifically I'm looking for advice on how to handle the Wizard Cleave comp (Disc Priest, Ele Shaman, Destro Lock) when the lock is running a succubus. We've lost a few games where I either am forced to blow my two sac's fairly early out of fear of the succubus, then either my DK gets destroyed during a the first hex/fear/deathcoil/spell lock that I dont have either trinket or bubble for, or I get bursted down myself if I let myself take any significant damage via the sacs.
I find that in this match-up my GCDs are extremely precious, and if I make one miscalculation on spending them then something dies.
Should my partners be playing more defensively or aggresively?
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Re: Arena- PHD comp

Postby Akairoslol » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:37 am

The main problem you will have against wizard cleave is not really the succubus, which while a problem, isn’t the main problem as I’m sure you know, the inherent weakness in your comp is your DK. The death knight having no real way to “D up” once AMS/AMZ is gone leaves it open to the other 2 extremely high burst casters with nothing you can really do. For example, on my 3’s (Ele/destro/hpally) we pretty much win the game as soon as we see a dk due to aforementioned reasons, wizard cleave pretty much hard counters PHD for that reason. Every team has it’s counter (but you know that to :P)

Now to provide some help against the comp, I assume you have tried killing the pet, in which case another pet can either be summoned or fel-dom’d, the only other thing I can suggest is to sit on the shaman to try and eliminate some of it’s burst and cleanse off any and all dots to eliminate as much burst as possible and time a scatter shoot-->strangulate-->whatever other cc you got with a high burst combo on maybe the lock or shaman. I really can’t think of a good target for your comp. In the end it’s just a counter comp, don’t worry about it to much.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary, and those that do not.
Akairoslol

Postby Elsie » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:39 pm

You might want o consider simply sticking on the lock the whole time, and split dps between the pet and the lock. Most of the shaman's strength comes from Flame Shock followed by lava burst as I recall. This way, you should have a lot of pressure on the warlock to stop them from bursting you both at the same time. 2 dead lock pets = dead lock, and a disc priest might have trouble keeping both up at once with frequent switches.

So:
1. CC/Cleanse handle the shaman
2. Let the priest heal
3. Split DPS with frequent swaps between the lock and the succubus.
3a. With any luck, he'll be forced to heal the lock and you can burst down the succubus.
4. Blow CDs after the pet dies if possible
5. A second pet will likely come out.
6. Keep up pressure. The healer will likely be 'omg lock getting owned.'
7. Turn evil the second succubus ASAP if you have the glyph
8. When Turn evil wears off, the succubus will probably be pretty hurt. If you're lucky she'll run out of soul link range.

Etc. That's just some ideas. Reality isn't that easy with the high odds of a couple mana burns.
Elsie

Postby Akairoslol » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:28 pm

You might want o consider simply sticking on the lock the whole time, and split dps between the pet and the lock. Most of the shaman's strength comes from Flame Shock followed by lava burst as I recall. This way, you should have a lot of pressure on the warlock to stop them from bursting you both at the same time. 2 dead lock pets = dead lock, and a disc priest might have trouble keeping both up at once with frequent switches.

The only problem with stick on the lock is that it can do 2 things that the shaman cannot do.

1. turn on demon armor taking 20% more healing, and subsequently having a 20% stronger divine aegis shield should a heal crit on the lock.
2. Demon portal away, most likely out of the line of sight, potentially wasting any CD’s you might have popped to try and kill it. (rapid fire, gargoyle, etc)

Another problem with sitting on the lock is that you can be shadowfury’d and he can get away or and he has instant cast spells that deal dmg in addition to the hard hitting chaos bolt, and if glyphed for shadowflame, melee will have a tough time keeping on him. In addition to this, you will have an ele shaman free casting into both of your partners, most likely your DK.
As a pally healing a wizard cleave, I can keep a pet alive fairly easy, or when I play a priest wizard cleave I can keep a pet alive fairly easy if the pet is aware of it and has imp health funnel, a priest can bubble it and heal it up.

you also have to cnosider that the list you gave is a perfect scenario, in a real situation, you might have a priest mana burning or a pally HoJing you or a druid cycloning.

As I origionalyl said, a good wizard cleave is going to take advantage of the weakness of the PHD comp (the dk) and nuke it dead in a few GCD's.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary, and those that do not.
Akairoslol

Postby Robbo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:24 am

Robbo
Maintankadonor

Postby Joanadark » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:10 pm

LOL
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby guillex » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:13 am

The only thing wrong with that drawing is that they forgot to include bubble.

But oh well.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes