Tanking Anub'Arak heroic adds

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Tanking Anub'Arak heroic adds

Postby Awyndel » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:21 am

Well I'm just going with theck's seal rules from the threat thread, wich say:

If you're tanking 3 or fewer mobs, use SoV.

And I'm making the asumption here that more threat means more dps in this case as well.

Obviously if you glyphed out of vengeance that might throw things off I suppose.
Awyndel

Postby KageIori » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:38 am

I've read from this thread that the base damage for the burrowers are around 4.5k so I'm wondering what is the base damage of the burrowers for 10 man heroic. Well if anyone can, might as well put the range of base damage for all, 25man, H25man, 10man and H10man.Thanks.
KageIori

Postby Worldie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:09 am

Awyndel wrote:Well I'm just going with theck's seal rules from the threat thread, wich say:

If you're tanking 3 or fewer mobs, use SoV.

The thing is, you don't have the time to stack up SoV on the targets. Beside your main target, it will take 5 HotR (30 seconds) to stack SoV to 5 on all both targets, slightly less (15-20) if you tab-target them. However, SoC will constantly proc off every damn shit you use, it procs even off ShoR and Judgement. Since adds must be dead in 30 seconds, SoC will produce more threat/DPS than SoV.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Worldie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:10 am

KageIori wrote:I've read from this thread that the base damage for the burrowers are around 4.5k so I'm wondering what is the base damage of the burrowers for 10 man heroic. Well if anyone can, might as well put the range of base damage for all, 25man, H25man, 10man and H10man.Thanks.

Base damage (on a properly geared tank and assuming demo shout up) is around the following:
10N: 2-3k
10Hc/25N: 3-4k
25Hc: 4-5k
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Awyndel » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:21 pm

From the same thread:

- If you're tanking things long enough to get a 3-stack or higher on each mob, use SoV.
- If you're tanking 3 or fewer mobs, use SoV.

It doesn't mention the need to get 5 stacks up. And although your logic is very sound, I'm more inclined to go with the math.

I tank them for about min 20 secs I guess, and then there is the time in between on anub. So it's gonna be about equal. Wich means it doesn't warrant a spec change for me.

On a different note. I changed the gearset a bit. Swapped out some BV for more armor, more str, and greatness. Still got 4500 BV:

http://www.chardev.org/?profile=313617
Awyndel

Postby mlone » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:26 am

The advantage of command is chaining with auto-attacks. You can choose to maximise dps by ensuring all adds have their vengeance stacks up, I prefer to keep holy shield and cons up and auto-attack while I keep gcds free for holy wrath. It is just personal preference really.
mlone

Postby Janduin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:12 am

mlone wrote:The advantage of command is chaining with auto-attacks. You can choose to maximise dps by ensuring all adds have their vengeance stacks up, I prefer to keep holy shield and cons up and auto-attack while I keep gcds free for holy wrath. It is just personal preference really.

I would also point out that not only does SoC chain with autoattacks, getting hit 10 times a second or whatever with Reckoning gives you A LOT of autoattacks...my snap threat with SoC is unreal even on adds I'm not directly targetting, and my warrior tank counterpart has to work his ass off not to lose his adds to me.
Janduin

Postby trellian » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:25 am

Janduin wrote:my snap threat with SoC is unreal even on adds I'm not directly targetting, and my warrior tank counterpart has to work his ass off not to lose his adds to me.

This actually looks like a big con to using SoC. Last thing you'd want (even for a short while) is to be tanking 3 or 4 burrowers.

Personally I don't have a single issue with threat once they are in melee range. My only issue with threat would be that MD, Tricks and Taunt are sometimes not enough to get the adds to me instead of a healer in P3.
trellian

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:07 am

SoC gives bigger snap threat, that's all you need really.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Dem » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:26 am

Another vote for SoC. Multi target threat from single target moves. Dump the SoV glyph for this fight, grab the Hammer glyph. Currently hitting 6.5k DPS overall on this fight so the damage output from the tank with SoC on the adds is not inconsiderable, bearing in mind that time on target(s) is nowhere near 100%.
Dem

Postby Awyndel » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:43 am

Well I only tank 2 adds, so the hammer glyph is not an option for me. I also have plenty of snap agro because of insane str and greatness. Plus the taunt can't miss and the other guy is misdirected. It's all about dps for me now. And as for holy wrath, we have a hit capped ret do that.

I am very interested in the reckoning respec though. Does it really add that much soc procs?
Awyndel

Postby Worldie » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:51 pm

Reckoning does increase SoC threat and damage significantly, yes. IF (and it's bolded) you are making an anub-specific spec, ditch JotJ and fill up reckoning to 5/5.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Xequecal » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:29 pm

For all the people saying aggro on the adds is easy.....do you have like an excess of hunters and rogues? We have 1 hunter and 2 rogues and they blow their MDs to get the adds to the tank. We have the burrowers getting to our tank every time, they're all on him, and again and again they get pulled off. We've got the shadow strikes down, PC healing down, and our add tank is really good at keeping them all in his frontal arc, so wiping to this is really frustrating.
Xequecal

Postby Treck » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:14 am

What would be the deal using SoC when tanking 4 adds at once?
Would you do shitloads of autohits having the Commandprocc on the closest add making lots of threat on that, and not hit the others at all? or would it be a bit random? and would it hit the boss from time to time?
Ive usually been good with as long as they adds start hitting me, thus eating my holy shields, threat is nolonger an issue. Theres however been a slight change to that for some unknown reason and i sometimes have to fight for threat (OMG) but i cant figure out what im doing different :S
Also, wtb more dura on shields ;(
Treck

Postby Worldie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:26 am

The deal is that with all the reckoning procs and parryes you are doing you'd be making a ton of autoattacks, hence a ton of SealOfCleave procs on other adds and Anub if positioned properly.

Nowadays i position myself with my 2 adds so i hit Anub too, more DPS is never bad.

Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon