Remove Advertisements

Tanking Anub'Arak heroic adds

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Tanking Anub'Arak heroic adds

Postby Baelik » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:06 am

Strafe! Its a head crab!

Couldn't help but try and provide some comic relief using that image. I played too much Half-Life back in the day :roll:

Sorry to interrupt the serious discussion. Thanks for yet another excellent guide Worldie.
Baelik

Postby Worldie » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:48 am

Actually the original version of that pic looked like something else which i couldn't post due to being 18+ content o_O
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Awyndel » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:54 am

Put together a quick set this week for tanking 2 of the adds with holy shield. Was hoping for some comments.

http://chardev.org/?profile=312829
For some reason it doesnt put in any talents.
Just put an armor ring in there, the AH hasn't shown the block ring this week, hasn't dropped either in 2 seperate ulduar runs :( .

It's def min and block capped. has about 26600 hp. 45 nature resist.
Raid buffed 4700 block value 53% avoidance.

Basicly what I am wondering is if the hp and resist will make it easy enough in p3, and if the avoidance will give a good holy shield uptime, or if i should swap some of my BV for more avoidance.

I also read something about ppl still stacking block value even under the cap, to take less damage, but I reckon with 4700 block value I should be more worried about a steady HS uptime right?

Also threat, with virtually no hit/expertise and no exp glyph it will drop some, but obviously gemming str increases my aoe spells a lot, so I think with 3600 ap and 1100 sp unbuffed I should be fine with some tricks on me?

I know I can and will test it out ofc, but was hoping to make the best guess possible before my guild starts tries.
Awyndel

Postby Wrathy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:54 pm

The block value that you are posting will, if tanked properly, negate ALL incoming damage. I sit at about 4k block value, and when I pop the on use ability on Lavanthor's talisman, I block all incoming damage on P3, minus the swarm. Threat should not be an issue at all. I have yet to have someone pull off me.

As for your avoidance, if you are tanking the adds more than 12 yards apart, you should be fine. If you stack them on top of each other, you will eat up your holy shield in about one second, and as a result, will more than likely be killed in the next two to three seconds, depending on avoidance strings.

Tank them in the proper positions, and you should be fine.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Roknroll » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:46 pm

A tank with 3600+ block value can successfully tank all 4 adds at the same time, and the incoming damage stream is very easy to handle. The problem with that is that the holy shield charges will get used up too quickly so the paladin has to be unhittable without holy shield active. There are a few other issues such as initial threat and proper positioning so an add is never behind or beside you.

That being said, a tank holding only 2 adds on them should have absolutely no issue whatsoever with how much damage they take. You will be taking roughly 1.7 swings per second, compared to 13.3 swings per second. That's nearly an 8-fold reduction in incoming damage. So long as you are unhittable with holy shield active and it's got 100% uptime, you don't need to change any gear, gems, or enchants around. And FYI, 1.7 swings per second with 53% avoidance means you should only use up 7 charges of holy shield before you apply it. That's only an average, though, and you could have times where it gets consumed early.

My advice, if you are only holding 2 adds on you, would be to gear/enchant/gem for as much DPS as possible rather than for mitigation. Maybe a little more avoidance too, to help ensure HS will always be up. Nature resist is also nice since you'll be kept nearly full health in phase 3 (try a flask of chromatic wonder). You could also try reducing your stamina. Like I said earlier, only having 2 adds on you is minimal incoming damage so a large health pool isn't really necessary.
Roknroll

Postby Awyndel » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:30 pm

well I really can't lower my stamina any more then this, coz I simply haven't picked any up that I couldn't avoid :P .

Well I guess I will just have to test it, see how the incoming damage is. And only lower the BV for more avoidance if the HS is dropping off, or if I'm over the cap for full blocks.

As for dps, I have picked up BV or avoidance wherever I could, but I have put str in all the remaining gem slots. So that should be very good for dps. I am just wondering, if for 3 target, str is still better then hit.
Awyndel

Postby Ulrik » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:51 pm

In my passive unhittable set I had 3712 BV with everything up and vs 4 adds I still took anything from 500 to 5000 and some bigger unblocked spikes from misaligned mobs getting them into position. Not trivial.

We've switched back to 2 adds tanks which allowed me to change gear dropping ~20% block rating and picking up about 1000 BV. Now it's trivial. Almost everything is fully blocked. The only reason we didn't do it before is that all our third tank options are off spec tanks and haven't collected the necessary gear. We should finally get a kill soon assuming healers remember to heal p3. ("The raid icon disappeared so I stopped healing the guy with the debuff." :? )

If HS does run out though which should be really rare cause of RNG (all attacks ate charges) or extra attacks because the other adds wandered too near buffing attack speed, then you have that ~20% chance to take some big old 10-15k spikes. I've only seen big hits get in on wipes.

I'd love to check your gear Awyndel but that link goes to an empty profile page.
Ulrik

Postby Iarthasl » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:57 am

Hi guys, i read in this thread that Shadow Strike are on cast base on Anub's command, when i solo tank them, i do not see any gesture or special things Anub does to command the Shadow strike, can anyone please enlighten me?

A lil background info, my guild are doing the 1 tank strat at this moment, and i am having ALOT of problems with the first pack of adds the moment we enter Phase 3, its like, the adds walk to me and will cast Shadowstirke randomly.

I have tried to ask a ret pally to use his holy wrath the moment we enter P3, and thereafter use it whenever his CD is up, but i have noticed that once we enter P3, it is not 30seconds before the Shadow Strike was cast.

Any info / Suggestion would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance
Iarthasl

Postby towelliee » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:59 am

Ok I have the 101.8% Passive Unhit now. 27k HP unbuff and 2500 BV. Now I am still being hit significally when only tanking 2 adds and not all 4. This is with HS 100% up time. Am I doing something wrong here?
towelliee

Postby Anorian » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:09 am

towelliee wrote:Ok I have the 101.8% Passive Unhit now. 27k HP unbuff and 2500 BV. Now I am still being hit significally when only tanking 2 adds and not all 4. This is with HS 100% up time. Am I doing something wrong here?

The adds hit for around 4.5k on 25 hc so that means you will be tanking around 2.2k hits even before the dmg buff, so for 225% more after you hit the full stack of debuffs.

What i do when tanking 2 adds is just spamming BV all over while keeping unhitteble with holy shield up. Im now at 4.1k BV without trinkets up meaning full blocks with lavanthors active.
Anorian

Postby Talaii » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:26 am

Iarthasl wrote:Hi guys, i read in this thread that Shadow Strike are on cast base on Anub's command, when i solo tank them, i do not see any gesture or special things Anub does to command the Shadow strike, can anyone please enlighten me?

He doesn't actually do anything visible to trigger it, it's just observed behavior. Him triggering it on the adds implies:

1. If he's submerged, they won't shadowstrike.
2. If he's casting (Leeching Swarm, usually), they won't shadowstrike.
3. All the adds will shadowstrike at the same time (when he casts it).
4. The shadowstrike is on it's own timer, rather than relative to when the adds spawn.

In my experience, this matches their behavior perfectly, so I'm assuming that the scripting behind the ability triggers it off something Anub does, even if that something is not visible.

Iarthasl wrote:I have tried to ask a ret pally to use his holy wrath the moment we enter P3, and thereafter use it whenever his CD is up, but i have noticed that once we enter P3, it is not 30seconds before the Shadow Strike was cast.

The transition to p3 can screw up the timer a little (gets abuot 1.5-2 seconds late at most, from our attempts) - this can easily be covered by using a second holy wrath, or a warstome/arcane torrent/shockwave/whatever after the first wrath expires. You seem to imply here that it should be 30 seconds from leeching swarm -> shadowstrike, and it's not. The shadowstrike should be 30 seconds after the last shadowstrike (or a minute, depending if adds were up 30 seconds ago), the phase change doesn't reset any of the timers.
Talaii

Postby dewkstraykr » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:51 am

If you are tanking two adds instead of all four, you dont need to be passively unhittable. Aim to get about 1000 more block value out of your gear and you can afford to drop a bit of block rating. As posted quite a few times above in this thread, with onyl two adds hittign you, and spread the correct distance apart from the 2nd add tank, holy shield is more than enough to cover the swings you will be taking, and block value will reduce those swings significantly more.
dewkstraykr

Postby Kaienn » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:26 am

Make sure Demoralizing Shout/Roar/Vindication is up on all the adds!

I learned that the hard way :[
Kaienn

Postby Awyndel » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:05 pm

We did the first tries tonight, got him to like 40% so was pretty smooth.

For tanking 2 adds the damage intake was in no way a problem with 4700 block value. Didn't notice HS dropping off with 53% avoidance either unless we fucked up positioning/burrowing.

I'm thinking of dropping some of the blue BV items and change them for more avoidance and str. Also thinking changing the armor on gloves to agility. Also wanna gem straight str for dps, don't think the 18 stam socket bonuses are gonna kill me.

Basicly I want more avoidance and that extra 1K health for when we fuckup and more str for dps. Coz I have way too much BV atm I think. 27500 hp should still be low enough right?

Also thinking of changing the sacrifice glyph for the vengeance one for more dps. Then I got DP, RD, vengeance.
Awyndel

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:23 pm

You should remember the theory: the less HP you got, the better.

I'd recommend Seal of Command for add tanking, it's really awesome.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon