Onyxia 2.0 (patch 3.22)

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Onyxia 2.0 (patch 3.22)

Postby Eredor » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:40 am

Thanks a lot for answering.

What a day a difference make.
We came back yesterday, the single difference being swapping a healer.

We took Onyxia down on the first try. As a matter of fact we had a zero wipe evening ;-)
So I am inclined to believe the rest of the raid that maybe the instance was bugged yesterday.

Anyway this time Lair Guardian were correctly disarmed and healers came to me asap when attacked by whelps.

The only strange thing that happened once was that I was at the whelp entry, immediately consecrated and taunted, and still they followed the wall going to the Lair Guardian tank. So I had to get to him to get them back.

After that I tanked Koralon and Emalon for the first time.

Koralon: I followed the strategy written by someone here, which is to keep Koralon at the same place, just moving a few steps when in flames. I must say, DPS & healers loved it, because they could better concentrate and move as little as possible.

Emalon
I was on adds duty and was quite apprehensive.
By following advice given on this forum I had no problem taunting and placing the 4 at first.
Neither had I a problem taunting the new appearing adds.
The only thing to be aware of is that one should switch attack focus often otherwise the adds die before being overcharged.

Again, the maintankadin community has been of tremendous help to me as a tank newbie for both techniques as well as building confidence. Thanks a mil!
Eredor
Maintankadonor

Postby Nothan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:58 pm

Yesterday I pugged an Onyxia 10 raid and it was probably the first time I’ve tanked anything difficult. I no longer actively raid on any of my toons and I just pug once every now and then, sometimes pug raids are difficult to find since I’m not decked out in i232 or higher gear. The hardest I’ve tanked is probably Koralon thus far..so my gear is not spectacular, but I have almost everything from badge/boe except the crusader orb crafted pieces which I can’t afford atm.

Onyxia was quite entertaining though, the other paladin tank with slightly worse gear than me was on Ony and had to pick up whelps in air phase while I tanked the Lair Guards. Immediately like 2 dps died off the bat to whelp aggro or something so things didn’t look good. Dps was behind and I wasn’t sure we were gonna even make it past air phase and get overran. There were at times I had 3 and once even 4 of those guards on me at once with no disarm which got kinda scary, AD probably procced like 3 times (probably when like 2-3 of them did the ignite weapon thing, I pretty much died like almost everytime there was more than 1 ignite weapon going off at the same time)…that’s how long it took. We actually killed her that attempt and I was more amazed we lasted that long than anything. No Quel’serrar though =(
Nothan

Postby djlar » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:25 am

So I was OT Onyxia 25.. all was going well until Ph3, she landed on the south side, where the entrance is, the tank took her there, he didn't kite her to the north wall, perhaps to avoid cleaving the whole raid, so he died because of LoS with the healers, she pushed him back too far into the cave entrance. So I taunt her there but I turned her 90 degrees so she didn't push me back further into the cave, that way we avoided cleaves and tails and I was on LoS with the heales...
djlar

Postby Gimorth » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:57 am

djlar wrote:So I was OT Onyxia 25.. all was going well until Ph3, she landed on the south side, where the entrance is, the tank took her there, he didn't kite her to the north wall, perhaps to avoid cleaving the whole raid, so he died because of LoS with the healers, she pushed him back too far into the cave entrance. So I taunt her there but I turned her 90 degrees so she didn't push me back further into the cave, that way we avoided cleaves and tails and I was on LoS with the heales...

Stuff can get ugly in the transition from P2-P3. The one thing that everyone needs to remember is that every person in the raid has to do his/her job. The jobs are clear:

Tank: Taunt, point her north
Everyone Else: Don’t stand in front of her

North is the only safe place to tank her, since pointing her south can get you punted out of the cave and pointing her E/W can get you punted into the whelps.
Gimorth

Postby guillex » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:06 am

Gimorth wrote:Stuff can get ugly in the transition from P2-P3. The one thing that everyone needs to remember is that every person in the raid has to do his/her job. The jobs are clear:

Tank: Taunt, point her north
Everyone Else: Don’t stand in front of her

North is the only safe place to tank her, since pointing her south can get you punted out of the cave and pointing her E/W can get you punted into the whelps.

While true, there's a little more to it than that...

Tanks point her north, yes.

Ranged DPS stays away from her tail.

Melee DPS never gets closer than her hind legs. This makes sure they are A) NOT tail swiped, and B) NOT cleaved/breathed on/etc.

That's pretty much it.
Last edited by guillex on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Failing on the use of the quote tag!
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby djlar » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:40 am

Think of it, 90 degrees inside cave could be ideal, no one can go behind or in front of her.. LOL se always be sideways to the whole raid....., gotta fear ward the tank or fail (well that applies to every position)
djlar

Previous

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon