Tanking Anub'Arak heroic adds

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Tanking Anub'Arak heroic adds

Postby Talaii » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:11 am

Roknroll wrote:The problem is that when the add pack did cross the tank's path and was able to hit the him, he'd probably get insta killed. With a long lull of no damage, healers would probably have slightly delayed reaction time. The adds have a swing timmer of about 0.3 seconds, so that would be 12 hits in under 1 second. Throughout the course of the add waves, the RNG would most certainly have the tank instantly killed on one of the waves. Fully stacked with expose weakness, the adds hit for around 10k-15k. It would only take 4-5 hits to kill the tank. With 65% avoidance your tank could easily take 4-5 hits in under 1 second.

There's also the issue of kiting them back and forth to the point where they get out of range of most AoE. Either the raid would have to adjust to burn the adds down which would lower dps on Anub, or the raid would take longer to kill the adds which could mean overlapping waves.

You'd also run into issues if they got close to the other adds. The buff the adds share between them increases move speed by 100% per stack, so +300% if all four adds are within 12 yards. In that case, even on ice, they'll be moving at 80% speed, which would be hard to kite without doing big circles - and if they ever got off the ice, even for a second, they'd be moving slightly faster than an epic flyer.
Talaii

Postby Xequecal » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:50 am

Would it be possible to handle the adds' quick Shadow Strike casts when all are on one tank by having a Hunter stand outside of the raid group and just push Deterrence when the Shadow Strike cooldown is up? Since they always SS the furthest target he should just deflect all four strikes and live.
Xequecal

Postby hoho » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:10 am

Wasn't shadowstrike an attack that was done from behind? Deterrance only works for frontal attacks
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby trellian » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:36 am

another use for HoP ;)
trellian

Postby Awyndel » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:35 am

Talking 2 add tank tactics here:

Ok so I made a set wich has the def min and the block cap, and around 4K BV raid buffed.

However I am not sure as to how to enchant it. Not I'm gonna get nature resist on head and cloak. But I was wondering about the lower ones in other slots. How powerfull is resist exactly on this fight.

Secondly, having over 4K BV raid buffed, should I be focusing more on BV/avoidance, or should I be maxing out resist to save the healers in p3? Wich is gonna be more of a problem for them?
Awyndel

Postby Worldie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:15 am

Just spam more block tbh. The resistance is something you need to consider if you have DPS problems (since reducing healings to the boss means less DPS needed to beat the enrage).
If your DPS is fine (and usually if you can kill the adds in time, the DPS is fine) you should spam block in every slot possible to minize the significant melee damage from adds. The swarm damage is steady and not really a tank killer. Actually, i think noone ever dies on swarm damage in this fight.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Worldie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:16 am

trellian wrote:another use for HoP ;)

Wont work since it's Shadow Damage.

I wonder if a rogue with CoS would work though.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby fafhrd » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:15 am

Xequecal wrote:Would it be possible to handle the adds' quick Shadow Strike casts when all are on one tank by having a Hunter stand outside of the raid group and just push Deterrence when the Shadow Strike cooldown is up? Since they always SS the furthest target he should just deflect all four strikes and live.

I haven't reliably seen them SS the furthest person. They do seem to favour the further people, but they seem to SS a lot of other people too, and they certainly don't all SS the same person reliably either (that could be explained by "furthest from each add" though).

To answer someone else, deterrence now covers attacks from all directions.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby hoho » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:42 am

Worldie wrote:
trellian wrote:another use for HoP ;)

Wont work since it's Shadow Damage.

I wonder if a rogue with CoS would work though.
immunity-bubbled paladin? Or will they change target if their initial cast target gets immune during cast?

Also, on 10-man I've seen the adds kill two different people simultaneously if both casts went off so you'd need to have 4 "soakers" to soak just one hit
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Worldie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:19 am

fafhrd wrote:
Xequecal wrote:Would it be possible to handle the adds' quick Shadow Strike casts when all are on one tank by having a Hunter stand outside of the raid group and just push Deterrence when the Shadow Strike cooldown is up? Since they always SS the furthest target he should just deflect all four strikes and live.

I haven't reliably seen them SS the furthest person. They do seem to favour the further people, but they seem to SS a lot of other people too, and they certainly don't all SS the same person reliably either (that could be explained by "furthest from each add" though).

To answer someone else, deterrence now covers attacks from all directions.

For us the behavious was consistent, they all always aimed to either our anub tank (Which was indeed the furthest person with all raid stacked between the adds under anub's fat ass) or later on, our sacrifical-hunter which was always soulstoned "just in case one stun missed".
Notice that it's "The furthest from each add", meaning, each add may target a different person if A is furthest from add A and B is furthest from add B and A != B.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Roknroll » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:38 am

Awyndel wrote:Talking 2 add tank tactics here:

Ok so I made a set wich has the def min and the block cap, and around 4K BV raid buffed.

However I am not sure as to how to enchant it. Not I'm gonna get nature resist on head and cloak. But I was wondering about the lower ones in other slots. How powerfull is resist exactly on this fight.

Secondly, having over 4K BV raid buffed, should I be focusing more on BV/avoidance, or should I be maxing out resist to save the healers in p3? Wich is gonna be more of a problem for them?

If you are at the defense minimum, block cap, and 4k block value then why don't you just single tank all 4 adds? The damage you take from blocked hits should be under 1k-1.5k, and with 4 adds all together putting out 13 swings per second, you'll take around 6k DPS. We've got a paladin tank with about 3.7k block value and so long as he picks all the adds up and they stay in front of him, he's quite easy to keep up. With 1-2 holy paladins to heal the tanks, having 2 tanks works beautifully with Beacon of Light to free up healers for penetrating cold healing.

I would recommend getting rid of as much stamina as you can. During P3 the healer has to keep you nearly full health, so less health means less healing to Anub. With that gear setup, you'll be taking very very minimal damage. Our prot paladin at 3.7k BV is taking far less damage than our main tank on Anub. Just keep stacking block value, imo. So long as you are unhittable, block value is the best stat. The block value shield enchant is a good way to go if you can spare losing the block rating. Initial threat, then, becomes a little tougher and something you'll have to work on.
Roknroll

Postby Joanadark » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:04 am

Shadow Strike is indeed always targeted at the furthest person from each add. If you are having issues with shadowstrikes you can simply stack your raid so that any that get off will reliably hit your anub tank that has the health and incoming healing to survive with no harm done.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Belloc » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:36 pm

Shadow Priest + dispersion.
Belloc

Postby Awyndel » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:48 pm

Roknroll wrote:If you are at the defense minimum, block cap, and 4k block value then why don't you just single tank all 4 adds?

Holy shield :)
Awyndel

Postby fafhrd » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:10 pm

Joanadark wrote:Shadow Strike is indeed always targeted at the furthest person from each add. If you are having issues with shadowstrikes you can simply stack your raid so that any that get off will reliably hit your anub tank that has the health and incoming healing to survive with no harm done.

This sounds suspiciously easier than interrupting if things like deterrence work on it. I know the strikes can miss, not sure about be parried. 1 MM hunter could negate 4-5 SS cooldowns (i.e. survive simultaneous SS from all 4 adds at once 4-5 times) just by standing far a way and deterrencing ~5 seconds before the cooldown?
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

PreviousNext

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon