Major Glyphs

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Major Glyphs

Postby Vhing » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:49 am

I currently use Glyphs of SoV, DP, and Judge.

As my expertise sits at 30, my Glyph of SoV is completely wasted. Is it ever OK to run with Glyph of HotR equipped instead of SoV, or is HotR more situational?

Thanks,
Vhing
Vhing

Re: Major Glyphs

Postby Marklevin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:10 am

Depends if you're a MT or an OT, I like the glyph of SOV because it's not being wasted until you're up past like 56 expertise with it, the reason DPS stoops at 26 is because that's when the dodge reduction stops, and since their behind the boss the boss won't be parrying, thus making 26 expertise the cap. As a tank you'll be in front of the boss and get to deal with his wonderful 14% parry chance.

If you are an OT primarily the HotR glyph might be worth looking into, but now that we don't need lexicons of power to install glyphs just buy like 10 of each and bring them with you to raid and swap them out as you need them.
Personally, I think ToC had the hardest trash in the game. Wait... what do you mean? Those were bosses!? Lies.
Marklevin

Postby Spectrum » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:13 pm

For us tanks, expertise is almost like avoidance, all the way up to over 10%, so it's not wasted at all, but the threat component of it diminishes.

I still use SoV because I don't stack nearly as much expertise as other tanks.

I'm currently using HotR because I like being able to hit four mobs. It's not great for raid tanking, but awesome for heroics so I can hold four-packs instead of having one break off when the DPS goes crazy with AE.

And I also use the DP glyph because who doesn't want a free 3% damage reduction?
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:29 am

Basically Divine Plea is mandatory, rest depends on your overall stats. For example, i have over 30 expertise, hence i run with glyph of RD (taunt misses on gormok = GG?) and glyph of Avenger Shield for higher burst threat on pull (hi warlocks opening with 15k conflagrates)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Pizbit » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:45 pm

Vhing wrote:I currently use Glyphs of SoV, DP, and Judge.

As my expertise sits at 30, my Glyph of SoV is completely wasted. Is it ever OK to run with Glyph of HotR equipped instead of SoV, or is HotR more situational?

Thanks,
Vhing

SoV glyph still remains our highest threat glyph until the expertise hard cap of 56, we're tanks in front of the boss not melee dps behind it.

Your SoV glyph is *not* wasted at all with only 30 expertise.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... ic#p496516

Indeed as you can see from theckd's post there you're better off dropping the judgement glyph if you want the hotr one.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby badgermonkey » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:26 am

Spectrum wrote:
I'm currently using HotR because I like being able to hit four mobs. It's not great for raid tanking, but awesome for heroics so I can hold four-packs instead of having one break off when the DPS goes crazy with AE.

Soem of us learned to tab-target ;)
badgermonkey

Postby Pizbit » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:40 pm

badgermonkey wrote:
Spectrum wrote:

Soem of us learned to tab-target ;)

I hope you're being facetious because tab targeting is nothing compared to landing a hard hitting instant attack on 4mobs at once instead of 3. Not only that but you can't tab target and melee a mob out of range but you can have hotr bounce to it.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby theckhd » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:09 am

Pizbit wrote:I hope you're being facetious because tab targeting is nothing compared to landing a hard hitting instant attack on 4mobs at once instead of 3. Not only that but you can't tab target and melee a mob out of range but you can have hotr bounce to it.

I think his point is that it's entirely possible to hold aggro on 4+ mobs without the HotR glyph. I regularly chain-pull in heroics until I have groups of 8-10+ and hold aggro without issue, just with intelligent tab-targeting. And that's with SoV, because I don't talent SoC most of the time.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby badgermonkey » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:13 am

Pizbit wrote:I hope you're being facetious because tab targeting is nothing compared to landing a hard hitting instant attack on 4mobs at once instead of 3. Not only that but you can't tab target and melee a mob out of range but you can have hotr bounce to it.

As Theck said, you don't need to use a sub-par glyph to hold aggro on multiple mobs. I originally used HotR as a new 80, because I wasn't so good at holding the larger packs to me, but with slightly better gear, it's not a problem. If your DPS can pull them off you just with their AOE, then theyre doing enough damage to kill it before it really matters anyway.
badgermonkey

Postby Elsie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:52 pm

Really, in a 4-mob situation, you get pretty much the same benefit from the glyph as hitting hotr, tab, then ShoR on the undamanged mob. If you're talking serious aoe, 8+, then the glyph isn't going to make a large difference. If it's a 5-mob pull, you could plan ahead with Avenger's Shield then follow the 4-mob situation followed by another tab to the unhurt one. If a mob is out of range, it's either coming to you and click-selectable, or tauntable so that's not a terribly pressing situation.

In any case, the 4-hit HotR is marginally useful in situations where it applies where SoV is applicable in all situations. In general, it's better to take a strictly positive approach and marginalize the significance of other options through performance and technique.
Elsie

Postby Radience » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:13 am

HotR glyph is great for solo tanking Anub'arak 25 heroic burrowers, but other than that it's not very useful.
Radience

Postby Blitzago » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:20 am

I currently am using Taunt, DP, HotR cause I solo tank anub adds, and I dont use SoV on that anyways, I use SoC for the additional aoe threat/dps.

Normally I run, Taunt, DP, SoV.
Blitzago

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:56 am

Blitzago wrote:I currently am using Taunt, DP, HotR cause I solo tank anub adds, and I dont use SoV on that anyways, I use SoC for the additional aoe threat/dps.

Normally I run, Taunt, DP, SoV.

Anything that lives longer than 10 or so seconds will see more threat from SoV.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Blitzago » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:53 pm

I noticed a sizable increase in damage/threat done with seal of command when tanking all 4 adds.

And I still use SoV for single target of course.
Blitzago

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:01 am

The guy on the thread "NEW MJR TNK SEAL SRSLY" also noticed a major increase, yet it was fairly minor. Make sure you know exactly where it's beneficial to use SoComm =)
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents