[10] Sartharion 3 drake ZERG strat?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Sartharion 3 drake ZERG strat?

Postby kensanity » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:30 pm

Alrighty, so just in case u haven't seen the most efficient way to kill sarth 3d, here it is. 1 tank, 1 healer, 8 dps putting out a perfect game of like 5k each or so.

Couple guilds on my server done this already, and just in case u cant grasp the concept
- tank pulls sarth,
- blow heroism go wild, pop cooldowns
- sarth is around 40% i guess
- tenebron lands, boomkin, feral deeps whatever picks up tene at range and kites away from raid, outside the area.
- sarth hits 35% so DRAKES ENRAGE
- adds spawn
- ignore, heal like crazy,
- sarth dies,
collect the loots and nifty title.

Anyway, I jsut wanted to know if anyone here has done it and what was their group setup and what kind of dps did they expect from their raiders? Also, did you tank tenebron as well or just allow him to be kited elsewhere? It seems difficult to be able to hold the drake while taking breaths. with one healer..
kensanity

Re: [10] Sartharion 3 drake ZERG strat?

Postby Belloc » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:33 am

Drake enrages near 20%. Best to taunt right around 28%.

Anyway, yes, I've done it. As far as positioning goes, just watch a video of a zerg kill. There are a variety of positions that will work.

Time: You need to get the boss down in 85-90 seconds at most. You will not be happy when Shadron's acolyte makes the boss go immune at <10%.

Composition: Flexible, but you need to be able to bring enough buffs that your raid will be hitting a DPS minimum. Our raid was Prot pally, ret pally, 2 feral druids, 1 blood death knight, 4 fury warriors (arms would be better in 3.1), and a resto shaman. Caster groups can work as well, but they have to find another way to handle adds.

Drake kiting: You really need someone with a taunt, and they really need a /target tenebron macro. Druids can taunt from 20 yards and blow their run speed buff to get range. I did the kiting for my group as ret. When the boss hit 30%, I max-ranged the drake and hit Hand of Reckoning. I took off running and drank a sprint potion (which meant that I couldn't use a DPS potion earlier). You have to make sure you don't get hit by a flame wave or else the drake will catch up and you will wipe the raid. Run off the island towards the entrance. Once you are off the island, you can run up towards either of the drake's original spots.

DPS requirements: Tank should be putting out at least 2k, especially if they want to hold aggro. DPS classes should be aiming for 4.5 to 5k dps. In an off-spec ret set, I was putting out in the high 3k area, so the other classes had to make up for it.

Damage tactics: All death knights should use Army of the Dead immediately before pulling. This has a 20-minute cooldown, so save it for when you think you can actually execute a kill. Heroism is required and should be used at least 10 seconds before the drake lands. The earlier you can use it, the better. Splash damage (whirlwind, divine storm, consecration, etc) will kill the elementals almost instantly. Single target DPS, however, should be the focus. Cooldowns can either be used with the heroism or during the last moments of the fight.

Flame waves: Watch the videos. Sometimes you have to jump in the lava, sometimes you have to get on the other side of the boss. It sucks, but whatever.

Void zones: Since the raid will be stacked almost entirely in one spot, everyone will have to be ready to move at any moment. Trust me, your group will not be happy if someone fails at this.

Consumables: Everyone needs flasks and food. Might I suggest fish feasts? Also bring DPS pots (speed for melee, and the crit/spell damage for casters and maybe even ret).

Long story short: Either focus on bringing a balanced melee group, balanced ranged group, or a perfectly balanced mixed group. Flame waves and void zones require practice and attention. Drake needs to be tanked by the MT and then kited when the boss hits 30%. A caster group will have to figure out how to deal with adds (perhaps mages can use living bombs).

Do not expect an easy kill. Bring very good dps and be ready to practice for a couple hours.

Hell, I don't even know if this strategy even works with 3.1, so let us know! :P
Belloc

Postby guillex » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:13 am

There's another thread with this information around somewhere ... I'm still trying to find it.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Belloc » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:27 am

It's included in the generic Sarth 3 Drakes 10 man thread.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17373&start=285
Belloc

Postby iwillpunishu » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:56 am

think this one might be the one you were looking for guillex

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22152&hilit=russian
iwillpunishu

Postby guillex » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:37 am

iwillpunishu wrote:think this one might be the one you were looking for guillex

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22152&hilit=russian

2 months overdue, but thanks :)
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Drelan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:21 am

Did this zerg strategy last night with my guild. Our raid make-up was:

1 Paladin (only tank)
3 Mages
1 Boomkin
2 Holy Priests
1 Ele Shaman
1 Rogue
1 Warlock

Cleared all trash careful of not pulling drakes. Lined up at the "back" entrance, buffed up, mounted up, ran in blew wings and used Hand of Reckoning + Avenger's Shield for the most ranged aggro I could muster. This of course dismounted me and I backed up to position. Pulling is one of the hardest things about this encounter. Getting and holding aggro while positioning. Sarth can stop and do a breath leaving you out of melee range and thus stopping most threat. Anyway, once you're in your rotation, the biggest thing to watch for is the first drake. We got lucky with the fire walls, I didn't have to move the 2 times it came from the south (or from the tail of Sarth). Blood lust is popped 5 secs into the fight. Once the 1st drake lands, I used Hand of Reckoning and immediately switched back to Sarth. We decided not to have our Boomkin taunt and go kitty/kite the first drake, his dps was more valuable. I had 2 mages riding my threat the entire 4 attempts, I was barely able to keep them from overcoming me. I was hit capped but expertise was crap and had no set bonuses for extra damage, 46K health raid buffed with a fish feast. I wasted 1 GCD taunting the first drake that dropped but other than that, I was destroying my keyboard. I popped Divine Protection when Sarth was at 20%. Be SURE to use Righteous Defense on your healers, they WILL get aggro from the whelps. The last 15% was a blur honestly, I was spamming so many things, taunting, keeping aggro, Hammer of Wrath, etc. Came down to a race between whelp/AoE damage, raid dps and the healers skill. Downed him with 3 of us standing...... but the whelps finished me off, killed all but 1, leaving 2 mages up. Raid dps was all above 4.5-5k dps. The one mage riding my threat was at 6k. All of the raid was 10-25 man ToC geared with some Ulduar trinks/cloaks. One of the priests ninja'd my drake. QQ

Wall of text crits you for 50,000. Good luck.
Drelan

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:44 am

So... Let me get this straight...

You tanked Sarth AND the enraged Drake?
Shoju

Postby Belloc » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:58 am

Shoju wrote:So... Let me get this straight...

It's been done. It's risky and foolish, imo, but it can work.
Belloc

Postby honorshammer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:03 am

Belloc wrote:

I do this every week for our kill. I blow DP when the Drake enrages, and usually get an AD proc. I die, but so does Sarth.
honorshammer

Postby Belloc » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:11 pm

honorshammer wrote:
Belloc wrote:

I do this every week for our kill. I blow DP when the Drake enrages, and usually get an AD proc. I die, but so does Sarth.

Keep in mind that, just as often, the tank will die and the drake and/or sarth will one-shot the raid with their breaths. Tanking the drake will almost always result in a quick tank death and a quick tank death means the fight is over within moments, whether or not that means a kill.

Having someone who can taunt and run is always a more reliable option. They don't have to be a druid, either.

Allow me to apologize for calling it foolish -- Calling it risky is sufficient.
Belloc

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:14 pm

I'm going to admit to being very naive about these fight mechanics, but I did this on the weekend. I tanked Sarth and the drake together. Had a healer guardian spirit me, used bubble wall, AD procced and eventually I died. But so did the drake and we got our achievement. Was I tanking an enraged drake?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby honorshammer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:15 pm

honorshammer wrote:
Belloc wrote:

Keep in mind that, just as often, the tank will die and the drake and/or sarth will one-shot the raid with their breaths. Tanking the drake will almost always result in a quick tank death and a quick tank death means the fight is over within moments, whether or not that means a kill.

Having someone who can taunt and run is always a more reliable option. They don't have to be a druid, either.

Allow me to apologize for calling it foolish -- Calling it risky is sufficient.

Basically when I pop DP, the raid's got 12 seconds to 15 seconds to finish the big boy off. It's just an extension of the zerg strat. You've got a certain amount of time or its a wipe.
honorshammer

Postby amh » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:08 am

While that probably works for a guild-run, or with a pug you know is any good, I wouldn't dream of doing it in a bad pug.

I think this was the sixth or seventh attempt, and the tank (paladin, you can barely see him on Omen there, having done 603 threat. No, not per second) still didn't understand that he was actually supposed to tank stuff. Or the designated taunter, who shared the vision with the tank that she should be taunting as soon as Tenebron landed, I never did find out why. Or the shaman, who wanted to save heroism for when the whelps popped (no, no, no :D). Fortunately a friend of mine was healing, and it's amazing how a disco-priest can keep 5 tanks up.

I think I got side-tracked, but my point (if I had one) is that you can expand that kill-window by quite a lot by using a taunt-kiter that knows what he/she is doing. Helps compensate for missing dps or those slight mishaps.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq12 ... 142518.jpg

Edit: Well, a few seconds more, at any rate. You can see Shadron was preparing for a tasty meal just as I took the screenie.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Auroris » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:24 am

>_> Pretty much did this with my alt on 10/31/2009, got her the Black drake. ;D and the title.

Tanked both Sarth + Enraged Drake from 100% to 0. Shield wall and hots do wonders through the zerg. The dps was pushing 7k, some were at 4k(I hated these guys they caused us to wipe due to dying to frickin lava wave or tailswipe, fricking idiots) We eventually got it, and the enrage drake hits for jack shit. 25k with shield wall. Sarth was hitting for maybe 10K? I don't recall. My hp jumped from 100% to Ardent defender to 30% to 100% right back to 5% lay on hands, back to 2% kill. I died.
"Someday the Glory will Fade and only Memories will remain."
Auroris

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon