Patch 2.3 and tanking Nightbane

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Patch 2.3 and tanking Nightbane

Postby Puss » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:46 am

Hi ,

Currently I tank nightbane but it's a real nightmare. We use a druid OT to stay unfeared with 'reasonable' threat in bearform for the fears in case a healer resists fear. Tremor totems ( we're horde ) really suck at this fight and are too unreliable.
Now I read this in the 2.3 patchnotes :

Creature AI has been changed to no longer prioritize attacking unfeared targets over feared targets.

Does that mean that Nightbane will continue to attack it's main target ( ie : paladin ). In which case this would REALLY simplify the fight, and make paladins even closer to warriors ( no need to resist fear if the boss stays on us.. we'll get hit a bit more but this never is a problem ) .

Anyone on PTR can tell us ?

-Puss
Puss

Postby mconeone » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:03 am

Get your 2 minute PvP trinket.

With the trinket the fears are trivial. Check the nightbane thread for the awesome macro that will cancel your shields, exorcise and judge simultaneously. Your first fear you bubble (always use DS over BoP when you have the option) when he casts the fear, and the moment it goes off hit your macro. Next time he fears hit your trinket. You might get a rare case when all 3 are on cooldown, just tell your raid to get within fear range and you'll be fine.
mconeone

Postby Magnusharkov » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:10 am

fearing should no longer mean any dpsers get one shotted, however you do still open yourself up to being crushed by being attacked in the back as you run off. Also repositioning and realigning him after a fear will be a pain.

The fight should indeed be very doable now without any totems, wards or trinkets, you just need to hope your healers can keep you up when you get feared and attacked in the back.
Magnusharkov

Postby Puss » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:20 am

Nightbane hits like a sissy. No way he will crush me or come close to nuking me. I'm not the problem. But, when I'm feared, nightbane will RUN( he runs very very fast ) to the group where healers / DPS etc are standing , cleave them and instantly nuking 2-3 DPS / healers after which the fight is over.

My trinket = 3 minutes CD.
My Bubble = 5 minutes CD

the fight = 9 minutes. I *will* get feared no matter how many trinkets / bubbles I use they will be on CD most of the time. I do use all the basic tricks, but he does approx 9 fears over 9 minutes, of which I can 'cancel' 4. After that, the 5 others will go thru. Yes we place the DPS in range of fear, but they're specced to resist fear or have naturally resistance to fear, which makes it a pain. If everyone got always feared, no problem, but there's always 1 out of the 9 people who don't get feared, and cleave then not only kills him , but also his 3-4 companions next to him withing fear range.

Alliance has fear-ward, and in 2.3 we'll have it too so no more problems then , but until then this fight is just a pain. We down him , but it's an exciting fight till the end.

( With a warrior tank this is a nobrainer but then adds are crap :P )

- Puss
Puss

Postby adese » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:47 am

Puss wrote:Nightbane hits like a sissy. No way he will crush me or come close to nuking me. I'm not the problem. But, when I'm feared, nightbane will RUN( he runs very very fast ) to the group where healers / DPS etc are standing , cleave them and instantly nuking 2-3 DPS / healers after which the fight is over.

Fear is getting changed in 2.3 so that if you have aggro and get feared, the mob will keep on attacking whomever has aggro rather than switching to 2nd on threat. Granted, you could potentially get owned at this point (unable to dodge, parry, block) but at least he's hitting you instead of a clothie.

Puss wrote:My trinket = 3 minutes CD.
My Bubble = 5 minutes CD

If you have 2/2 Sacred Duty, the cooldown on DS is only 4 minutes. Your point still stands, tho, that there is the chance that all your abilities will be on CD and you won't be able to do anything about it.
adese

Postby mconeone » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:20 am

You will be able to start with DS/trinket/BoP/trinket, after that you are limited if DS is on cooldown. If you're nearing the end of a phase and all your abilities have >1 min cooldown, and you have a good amount of time on the fear cooldown, tell the DPS to stop until the fear cooldown is up.
mconeone

Postby Magnusharkov » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:52 am

Puss wrote:Nightbane hits like a sissy. No way he will crush me or come close to nuking me. I'm not the problem. But, when I'm feared, nightbane will RUN( he runs very very fast ) to the group where healers / DPS etc are standing , cleave them and instantly nuking 2-3 DPS / healers after which the fight is over.

Well yes, but you were asking about 2.3

In 2.3 you will be able to tank him without any anti fear tricks. The only issue being that when feared he will follow you as you run away and melee you in the back, leaving you open to crushes. As long as the healers can keep you up through this it should be doable.
Magnusharkov

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:06 am

With the change, Nbane will stay on you ... but cleave/breath/tailswipe = bad things happening.

Trinket is 2 minute cooldown
Both BoP and DS break fear.

You actually have 3 fear breaks to work with, and if you manage them correctly you'll never be feared for more than a fraction of a second.

I forgot to equip my trinket a couple weeks ago on a kill and we lost one or two DPS (damn warlocks) when I ate the fear.

DS -> Trinket -> BoP is usually the rotation I use, but my DPS is high enough that we rarely have more than one fear every 25%. Last week we had a druid and paladin duo-heal my crappy geared warrior through Nbane; 7 DPS is pretty sexy.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Blåtann » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:17 am

Doesn't Nightbanes fear make you stand still, kinda like intimidating shout (if it's like int shout, you'll break the fear after the first hint of damage).

Haven't been feared on it yet (thank you fear ward).
Blåtann

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:50 am

Blåtann wrote:Doesn't Nightbanes fear make you stand still, kinda like intimidating shout (if it's like int shout, you'll break the fear after the first hint of damage).

Haven't been feared on it yet (thank you fear ward).

Fearward is hax and part of me is glad it's dying in a fire, since blizzard is too stupid to just give it to everyone. Fucking pvp fucking over pve.

Anyway. Dragon fear is different from intim shout -- everyone just goes running willy nilly.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Puss » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:34 am

thanks , my question is answered. It's better that he hits me even when I cannot dodge etc... the healers can use trinkets more than I can ( we usually have 2 healers , so double trinkets ) should be fine.

In patch 2.3 horde will get fear ward also, which makes this fight a real cake. Can't wait for 2.3 to come out in 2 days :))

-Puss
Puss

Postby Ilara » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:55 am

I have nightbane up tonight for me, the groups warrior this week called away to start a g3, I've been thrown the responsibility of tanking Nightbane this week.
Ill have two priests for a fear ward each, and then my own bubble for the third fears if it goes that long. Usually we have two, and maybe three fears every 25%. hoping we can get him down without much fear hassle...
Guillex wrote:chop chop slap chop slap slap /b/ fap fap.... gogo
Ilara

Postby kvark » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:08 pm

tanked all bosses tonight and for nightbane I can safely say that I believe he's been nerfed hugely. think he feared 2 or 3 times for the entire fight, and I've never successfully tanked nightbane before - tonight it was trivial.
kvark

Postby Ilara » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:43 am

Forgot to ever amend my post last week, ultimately tho, Nightbane was cheese.
I had, as reported, two priests with me for fear ward, and I had the bubble/cancel macro prepared for the third hit if it ever happened.

While it took two practice goes to get the cycle right (and for dps to get outta the AoE >.<), in the end we managed to burn each of the fear wards each 25%, so aiming for two fears every 25% worked quite well for us.
And we would have them ready to go by the time he landed again, was perfect.

No mess, no fuss.
Guillex wrote:chop chop slap chop slap slap /b/ fap fap.... gogo
Ilara

Return to Karazhan