Jan'alai - Dragonhawk Avatar

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Splug » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:06 pm

We had some level of success throwing two warriors (one fury, one arms) on add control. They could only handle 4 spawns per hatcher, but that would be enough to clear ~75% of the dragons out after the third hatcher spawn. We originally tried having me tank the adds with consecrate, which was certainly more stable while allowing for the full side to spawn if we were late killing the hatcher, but it forced us to throw a fury warrior in front of the boss, and after a few quick wipes due to poor threat control everyone grumbled enough that "a real tank" was put in front of the boss.

I'd say that using a paladin to tank the dragonhawks is definitely a better use of class specialization, but a few people had asked how the fight was doable without a prot paladin. The answer seems to be that it takes two warriors to handle half of what one paladin can, but it is doable.... sort of.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:00 pm

78 stacks of flame buffet + boss cone attack hurts a lot. Hooray bubble.

We kill one hatcher, let the other hatcher hatch all the eggs, then kill that hatcher, then AOE down the spawns. Then I bubble to clear the debuff, then we kill everything on the other side the next time hatchers spawn. Then we kick the boss' ass.

If you can survive the first 3 minutes of the fight using this method, it's over as long as people aren't dumb.

I should note that we had 5 or 6 attempts that were exactly one minute eight seconds long before we got the method down.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Joanadark » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:46 pm

the stacking debuff should be getting dispelled.
if nothing else, dispell it yourself.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Tiandelin » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:19 pm

I'm curious as well about whether or not FR gear makes a significant difference on this fight. As noted, the dragonhawks hardly hit for anything (about 250 or so unblocked, I think), but there's a lot of fire damage involved. I was able to take an entire side of hatchlings at once consistently without major issues (aside from annoying ports), but it did seem to stress the healers a bit.

If nothing else, I guess I'll see on Saturday.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby sindorei » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:42 am

what do u guys think about druid or warrior as off tank for this boss?
i mean , if druid/warrior can do

[]better jobs
[]ok to grab most of them
[]poor, cause many wipes but still doable
[]impossible or near impossible for them to grab adds off casters/healers
sindorei

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:27 am

Ok here's what we did.

I stood in the middle of the room tanking the boss. Spamming Consecrate.

The healers stood on the opposite side of the room from the side we weren't killing the hatcher on. AKA the same side of the room as the one we were killing the hatcher on.

The dragonhawks spawn, and usually go for the healers. This takes them through my consecrate. They aggro me. Our mage pwns them.

Additionally the mage has aggro on them from constant AoE and I spam RD on her every time I see her with the aggro status in X-Perl.

I don't bother dispelling the flame buffet because he rarely actually hits me with fire, and I was having mana issues in the fight.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Sielanas » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:52 pm

Tiandelin wrote:I'm curious as well about whether or not FR gear makes a significant difference on this fight. As noted, the dragonhawks hardly hit for anything (about 250 or so unblocked, I think), but there's a lot of fire damage involved. I was able to take an entire side of hatchlings at once consistently without major issues (aside from annoying ports), but it did seem to stress the healers a bit.

If nothing else, I guess I'll see on Saturday.

That's what I was thinking. I took out some primals from the guild bank to make some Flamebane gear, going to discuss it with them before I make it. We're going tonight, so I'll report back.
Sielanas

Postby Joanadark » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:16 pm

I can't understand why everyone seems so eager to find resistance gear requirements for any fight they can.

I loathe resistance fights.

Oh and I really don't think Flamebane would cut it. If you insist on wearing FR I think anything less than the heroic badge epic peices would be shooting yourself in the foot.

If your dispellers are absolutely retarded, there shouldnt be a single stack of the debuff on the tank, ever.
The fire damage in the encounter is minimal.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Lansky » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:28 pm

Joanadark wrote:I can't understand why everyone seems so eager to find resistance gear requirements for any fight they can.

Oh and I really don't think Flamebane would cut it. If you insist on wearing FR I think anything less than the heroic badge epic peices would be shooting yourself in the foot.

If your dispellers are absolutely retarded, there shouldnt be a single stack of the debuff on the tank, ever.

It has little to do with dispelers when my guild's strat involves two waves of hatchers. We hatch half a platform. Another half platfrom. Then we burn him down and have the rest of the eggs hatch. Its a question of will the FR gear I have already for a true FR fight (Illidan) help me not get 40+ stacks when tanking the remaining half. Even spam cures results in this stacking with that many of them. We did it in one shot but I could easily see this backfiring if he turns to me and does his fire cone thing when i'm not topped. If FR will cut my damage down and let us reliably use this "power" strat then I'd do it with a smile. Hence wondering how the fire buffet is resisted. I guess so far no one knows.

That said, yeah don't use Flamebane. Get the heroic badges stuff or don't bother imo.
Lansky

Postby Dorvan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:53 pm

Joanadark wrote:I can't understand why everyone seems so eager to find resistance gear requirements for any fight they can.

I disagree, I don't think it's a good use of time or mana to dispell the debuff from the AoE tank (we used a "all of one platform, then all of the other" strat). With an entire platform worth of hawks on you it doesn't seem realistic to dispell all those debuffs....healing through it isn't bad and you can just bubble after the first platform's done and be ready to go for the next one.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Tiandelin » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:54 pm

It's not minimal if you're tanking entire sides at once, and it's kinda hard for a dispeller to keep up with the debuffs in that case. And sure, you take them just a few at a time instead. But tell me, where's the fun in that?

I was just curious about whether or not FR gear would help. Obviously, it's not a requirement and you can do the encounter without it. I never died from the dragonhawks, and our problem was mostly people being exhausted by that point and too sleepy to dodge bombs. But this was with some fairly strong healers, and I was wondering if I could do something to give our less geared healers a little wiggle room without having to bother doing the fight in a sane way. 8-10k flame breaths kinda hurt when I'm low on health.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Invisusira » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:24 pm

This is not a resist fight. Don't gimp yourself pls.
Invisusira

Postby Joanadark » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:48 am

well, if your strat for Illidan is to kite him around a pillar using Judgement of Justice.....then yes....Minor Speed to Boots enchant would "help"....

....but why on earth would you do that strat?
Joanadark

Postby Rainge » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:30 am

After playing with trying to time the hatching to get half and screwing up, I found it entirely possible, plausible, and downright easy to tank all of the hatchlings hatched from one side - no FR besides my handy-dandy aura.

I tanked one side on the first set of hatchers, bubbled off the debuffs, then the other side the next time. I can't express how laughable it was trying to get just the right number - the answer was "all of them".
Rainge

Postby Zaroua » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:44 am

For the Dragonhawk avatar, we were using a T4 geared Warrior (around 14k HP buffed) and a Prot Paladin (T4 geared) - Warrior on the boss and Paladin on the hatchlings.

What we found out to work very well was to let all the hatchlings spawn before the boss hits enrage - it upped the healing requirements on the raid but made healing our somewhat undergeared MT very easily once the boss became enraged. It had proven to be somewhat difficult to heal him when he'd get 2-3 crushes in a row while running away from bombs.
80 Dwarf Paladin, Sen'jin
Zaroua

PreviousNext

Return to Zul'aman