what can you say of this spec?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

what can you say of this spec?

Postby Laitaro » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:49 am

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sVZE0xAMugGsIucdx:LcN

i saw a guy with this spec today, and asked him why on earth he have specced like that. he said he played a special way and that the spec was good for his raid...

so i'm wondering if there really is a special use for this spec, because all i can see is fail. :wink:
Laitaro

Re: what can you say of this spec?

Postby Invisusira » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:06 am

Nothing special about his spec, it's just an un-informed one. It works, but just shows that he hasn't done any research.
Invisusira

Postby Laitaro » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:16 am

that's what i told him too. I tried to help him with how he could improve his spec, but all he said was that i can't possibly know what i'm talking about since i don't like 25mans. i lol'd when he said that :lol:
Laitaro

Postby theckhd » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:48 pm

Laitaro wrote: all i can see is fail. :wink:
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Erendis » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:34 pm

It's usable but it looks like he was going out of his way to use sub-par threat talents. The two big things I see in no Vindication and no Guarded by the Light. So he will be taking more damage.

Not having the best threat talents is meh. Threatwise you will always be good enough or not at all. If this talent set lets him keep aggro then he is fine. The lack of two important mitigation talents shows he isn't doing bothering to do the min work needed to be a tank.

If he was my friend I'd try and correct him. If he was in my PuG I'd boot him.

As I always say when some thinks thier gears means they know best that "Gear =/= Skill"
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:32 pm

Erendis wrote:Not having the best threat talents is meh. Threatwise you will always be good enough or not at all. If this talent set lets him keep aggro then he is fine. The lack of two important mitigation talents shows he isn't doing bothering to do the min work needed to be a tank.

Skipping optional threat talents, especially ones that only change your overall output by 100-200 TPS, is meh.

However, in addition to skipping several important mitigation talents, that spec fails to put a single point in Improved Judgement. That means one of two things:
  • He's substituting something for every other Judgement (AS, Sacred Shield, who knows what else), or he's skipping every other Judgement entirely. That means less JotJ uptime, and a net threat loss of one Judgement every 18 seconds, or about 331 TPS.
  • He's not following 969 at all, and just pushing back abilities to cast Judgement on a 10-second cooldown. Or operating on some sort of weaker FCFS. In either case, he's sacrificing much more, somewhere between 1k-2k TPS.

What's worse is that he's got more than enough points in prot to shift one into Imp. Judgements. Instead he takes 5/5 Reckoning, at ~25 TPS per point. He'd get 10-100x that amount if he moved one point from Reckoning to Imp. Judgements, at least on bosses.

Maybe all he does is aoe-tank with SoCommand?

Also, hello blast from the past.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Candiru » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:05 am

Have you seen his GLYPHS?

ShoR, SA, HotR.

He has 0 points in Guided by the light, yet he specs SA? *Boggle*

This guy is seriously a retard and needs to learn2spec.
Candiru

Postby Kalakaua » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:07 am

His spec tells me that he probably tanks with seal of wisdom most of the time to keep his mana up. His threat sucks, but that's ok with his guild because:

a) he's usually assigned to tank something where threat doesn't matter like any Iron Council member that doesn't die first) and/or

b) the dps in his guild is equally bad and no one comes close to his 3.5k TPS.

Either way, it's "good enough", especially to non-tanks and even to a lot of non-pally tanks, but anyone who knows what they're doing will know he's an idiot.

The spec is in no way optimal for anything. As Theck pointed out, 1 point in reckoning can be moved to improved judgement for more dps/threat without losing anything.
Kalakaua

Return to Basic Training & Talents