Re: Tanking Anub'Arak heroic adds

Postby Kaienn » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:48 pm

o.O

that's embarrassing.

you live, you learn
Kaienn

Postby Joanadark » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:21 pm

If you are using the Double add tank strategy the positioning is a bit different and achieved with the help of two Death Knights.

Minor nitpick, I don't want someone to think doing 2-tank strat REQUIRES 2 DKs in the raid. You can simply have ranged DPS shoot one down, and have one DK DG the second into place.

Shadow Strike is a 8 seconds cast: due to Spider Frenzy, if you are using the double add tank strategy, it will have 4 seconds cast, if you are using the single add tank strategy, it will be a 0.5 seconds cast. The tool you will use for interrupting is Holy Wrath glyphed.

Correction, when all 4 adds are stacked, the cast is 1 second, 1.4 with Mind Numbing, not 0.5 seconds.

Now, at the start of this section i said to have a Retribution Paladin assisting, you may wonder why; the reason is simple: "miss". You don't want a miss on a interrupt, but in your add-tanking gear you will hardly have any hit at all. A retribution paladin however will be hitcapped vs bosses, and since the adds are level 82, that means he only needs 7% spell hit to have a 100% stun, and he does have that if he's in a guild doing Anub Heroic 25.

That isn't quite right. Spell miss chance against a level 82 mob is only 4%. This means that if you have a shadow priest AOEing the mobs, and you have at minimum 1% hit in your gear, or a draenai in your group, then you have no chance at all of missing with Holy Wrath. If you are seeing misses in your combat log under those circumstances, it is the Holy Wrath hit on the boss himself.

The Glyph of Holy Wrath will make sure Holy Wrath is up when needed, for a minimal loss in DPS for the Ret (he'll likely sub Glyph of Exorcism or Judgement for it).

A ret would swap out either glyph of exorcism or glyph of seal of vengeance, whichever they are using. You would never drop glyph of judgement as that is the single highest DPS contribution glyph for ret.

All locks should be Demonology for this so Shadowfury was not an option

Thats not correct. It is a rDPS increase to have ONE demo lock, but additonal locks should be Affliction if they are trying to do maximum AOE damage (they would seed spam off the boss when adds are up) or destro if they are trying to maximize boss damage.

Last thing, you should probably reccomend glyphing for taunt.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Xequecal » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:12 pm

A major problem with the 2 add-tank strat is the DPS check is much harder. Anub heals for 260% of the damage he does via Leeching Swarm. (130% with Mortal Strike) Adding a 50,000 HP tank that you have to keep topped means he will heal for an extra 13,000 HP per second in P3, which is a lot of health. This is in addition to the DPS you lose by not having a DPS in that spot.
Xequecal

Postby Varuk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:11 pm

Xequecal wrote:A major problem with the 2 add-tank strat is the DPS check is much harder. Anub heals for 260% of the damage he does via Leeching Swarm. (130% with Mortal Strike) Adding a 50,000 HP tank that you have to keep topped means he will heal for an extra 13,000 HP per second in P3, which is a lot of health. This is in addition to the DPS you lose by not having a DPS in that spot.
Edit: Evidently "save" is not the button I meant to press. >_>

Anyways, speaking purely theoretically, from the PoV of someone who hasn't done the fight on 25m yet, if you're using two tanks do you really need to have them both topped off? If the adds are split and not sharing their buffs and both of the tanks are unhittable (either warrior with cap B.R. or paladin w/ HS up, since two adds won't chew through HS fast enough) the damage intake should be very reasonable and it should, in theory, be safe to keep the tanks at half health, reducing the HPS contribution from both tanks to being equal to or under what a single topped off tank would give.
Varuk

Postby Joanadark » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:17 pm

Xequecal wrote:A major problem with the 2 add-tank strat is the DPS check is much harder. Anub heals for 260% of the damage he does via Leeching Swarm. (130% with Mortal Strike) Adding a 50,000 HP tank that you have to keep topped means he will heal for an extra 13,000 HP per second in P3, which is a lot of health. This is in addition to the DPS you lose by not having a DPS in that spot.

Leeching Swarm healing is 100% positively, absolutely, no-question NOT affected by MS on heroic 25-man. That was one of the first things we tested. It is merely 130% of damage done, MS or no MS.
Also, a tank in a block set will be much closer to 38-40k HP if they are gearing correctly, not 50k, and if they have Nature Resist flask and enchants the healing done isnt all that insurmountable.

Neither is the encounter particularly enrage sensative. Even most first kills range from 30 seconds to a minute and a half ahead of the hard enrage. You're far more likely to wipe because you had too many people die to PC, or because your tank healers ran out of mana, than to actually wipe to the DPS check, even with two add tanks wearing no NR.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Joanadark » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:18 pm

Anyways, speaking purely theoretically, from the PoV of someone who hasn't done the fight on 25m yet, if you're using two tanks do you really need to have them both topped off? If the adds are split and not sharing their buffs and both of the tanks are unhittable (either warrior with cap B.R. or paladin w/ HS up, since two adds won't chew through HS fast enough) the damage intake should be very reasonable and it should, in theory, be safe to keep the tanks at half health, reducing the HPS contribution from both tanks to being equal to or under what a single topped off tank would give.

Youre right, but it honestly isnt necessary. What you CAN and SHOULD do is let the add tanks dip down and stay fairly low during the time in between add spawns when they arent tanking anything.
Joanadark

Postby Kihra » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:27 am

Just to re-iterate, there's nothing about a double add tank strategy that says you have to use two ice patches and spread the adds. If you have two add tanks that are both unhittable, you can use one patch and just stack the adds.
Kihra

Postby Joanadark » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:02 am

The simple way of looking at this is:

How are you wiping?
a)Shadow Strikes -->Use two tanks, and spread the adds
b)Tank gibs -->Use two tanks, spread or stack the adds as desired
c)Falling behind on dps -->Use one tank
Joanadark

Postby towelliee » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:24 am

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =towelliee

3626 unbuff BV about 4100 ish with Holy Shield up.

This is my set for tanking only 2 adds. Is there anything I should change at all?
towelliee

Postby Joanadark » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:24 am

why the DPS gems and enchant on your helm?
Joanadark

Postby towelliee » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:31 am

Oh snap..Sorry about that Equip Manager might have messed up. That is my Prot Ret PVP Helm heh. I have same one for Prot but with 21 def 5% BV meta
towelliee

Postby Sathoris » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:34 am

So let me get this one right.

Using 2 Add Tank (3 Tank Strategy as some people like to call it) strategy, as a prot paladin (with HS Up) don't require to get Passive Block Cap ?

Because if this is true we can push up to 5k Block Value Raid buffed.

We haven't started on anub yet because some of our guild members felt we're not prepared for him yet. So I'm trying to gather all the necessary information about gearing up for tanking the adds.

The first I've started to make myself a passive block cap set (or close to it at least), then i saw this post saying that using 2 add tank strategy is not really needed (Prot Pally wise).
Last edited by Sathoris on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sathoris

Postby dewkstraykr » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:53 am

2 tank strat = 1 on boss, 1 on adds. You definately need to be passive unhittable without Holy Shield in this case.

3 tank strat = 1 on boss, 2 on adds. You can get away with less as your Holy Shield will last a heck of a lot longer, and in most cases for the whole duration as long as you have the two add tanks far enough apart to not get the haste debuff stacked right up.
dewkstraykr

Postby Neara » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:58 am

Joanadark wrote:That isn't quite right. Spell miss chance against a level 82 mob is only 4%. This means that if you have a shadow priest AOEing the mobs, and you have at minimum 1% hit in your gear, or a draenai in your group, then you have no chance at all of missing with Holy Wrath. If you are seeing misses in your combat log under those circumstances, it is the Holy Wrath hit on the boss himself.

Isn't 4% against same lvl as you? 2 lvl above you should be 6%. And shadow priest AoEing applies only if you include Shadow Word: Pain on all 4 mobs as AoEing. Mind Sear doesn't apply the hit debuff. http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=33193

Can anyone think of a way to do 2 add-tank strat without a DK? We don't have one. Again so much for bring the player not the class.
We currently tank all 4 Adds at the same spot, I tank 3 the other tank 1. because i'm lacking BV for tanking all 4. In 3 out of 4 tries tanking all 4 adds i had ~8 undodged/parried hits in a row gibbing me in 1-1.5 seconds. 3/1 Works mostly just fine, but sometimes the other tank get's gibbed by one Add when his Shield Block isn't rdy. (I'm our only tank who has bothered to farm his ass off reaching block cap.)
Neara

Postby holynite » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:30 am

what enchants, gems, meta gems, and glyphs are you useing? ATM we are trying this on 10 man, but we plan on starting 25 man heroic next month. Do you use the 1 un-hittable tank for 10 man and just burn the boss keeping the adds up? I know thats not what this forum was about sorry.
holynite

PreviousNext

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon