[Prot PVP] - Damage

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Prot PVP] - Damage

Postby towelliee » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:24 am

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Towelliee

Any suggestions to reach hit cap and maybe do more weapon dmg? DO I need a slower 1h? I just started doing Arenas and is basically my first time doing massive BG PVP since GM and HW back in pre-bc. So far I been doing good as prot/ret in 5's but I keep missing alot.

Also is there a set rotation for prot pvp?
towelliee

Re: [Prot PVP] - Damage

Postby Kiorken » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:22 am

Some pointers.

-Check out Hoboshocka's spec, he's on a US server, so use US WoW Armory. He has a nice set of gear, and spec and glyphs of what you are looking for. I can't get armory to work here at Lackland, so I can't check yours. If you already have this information, well, I apologize.

-Part of what Hoboshocka was going for was to have a MIX of PVE Prot, and PVP Ret pieces, with a high damage weapon, this way, he could have the hit, shield block and defense for, of course more HITS, higher damage SoR, and more health from Ardent Defender. It was nice when I did it, for 2p Tier 9, and using Burnished Quel'Serrar.

-If you are having issues hitting more often, pick up the "Hit" trinket, and the "Hit" Furious Wrists, the "Hit" neckpiece, and the "Hit" rings. If you are human, try for the "Hit" trinket, and STR Greatness card. For your Libram, try Ret's Valiance Libram. Also, for your Ret PVP gear, stack STR for harder hitting everything.

-I apologize, currently I am PVP Holy, and logged out that way, because I tank like mad and well...I needed something else to do.

-One more thing, Hoboshocka doesn't have this, but try for the Salvation Glyph instead of the Seal of Vengeance glyph. You might take a hit to expertise, but when your Shield Wall is on CD, Glyphed Salvation is nice.

-The rotation I used was almost like my basic PVE 969, but for my 6's, I had

#showtooltip
/startattack
/castsequence reset=6 Shield of Righteousness, Hammer of the Righteous

-For my 9's, I had:

#showtooltip
/startattack
/castsequence reset=9 Holy Shield, Judgement of Light, Consecration

-Might seem a little out of order, but I am used to using Holy Shield BEFORE I fight, so when I get to the fight, its already up, and I can Judge. Also, Shield of Righteousness with STR gear really hits hard, and makes a nice opener.

Thats just my 2 cents on the pwnage that is Prot DPS PVP

Playing very casually....for now.
Kiorken

[Prot PVP] Damage

Postby enbee » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:30 am

Hey

First of all, please don't use the faceroll macro's posted above, I'm sure they're fine for pve, but obviously not for pvp, as for instance holy shield is pretty situational, as is consecration. I don't even know why they were posted, but I guess Kiorken was trying to be helpfull...? Or bored?

Now for gearing I chose to go for full ret gear, using 700 resilience worth of pvp gear and pve ret gear in the other slots (strength rings, 258 ilvl chest), though you can also get 2 t9 (head/chest)which makes AD work somewhat reliably and get ret gear in all the other slots. Definitly get a slow 1hander, I started out this season with Malice from ulduar, upgraded it to 2200 rating weapon a month ago. Definitly get 5% hit, you don't want that 10k avengers shield crit to go missing I'm sure :p.

As for your spec/glyphs, I'd definatly get reckoning(full), drop vindication, get more into conviction, the point in SA is also not needed. Glyphs look fine, only difference with mine is SoV glyph, while I took Shor glyph (puts it down to 26 mana), it's nice on occasion when you get cc'd till DP runs out or you forget to use it early on, that one is a matter of preference though.

Edit : Forgot my armoury, my pvp spec is the one currently not active, and I'm not logged out in pvp gear right now, but its 3/5 relentless (legs gloves shoulders) relentless belt boots bracers, badge pve ret ring, first boss toc25 ret ring, hitcrit badge of conq neck, 258 ret hit/haste chest and 245 10man crit/haste helm + pvp trinket and greatness (<GET THIS)
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... nd&n=enbee
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby enbee » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:34 am

Also.. I haven't posted on these boards in about a year, with the new layout I seem to be losing tons of text I cant see, on the right side of the page, I'm running 1900*1200 res, so only half the page is filled really, annoying!
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby PsiVen » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:01 am

There's really nothing like a concept of a 'rotation' in PvP, since you spend far more of your time out of range of what you really want to attack. Generally you will want to use JoJ unless your teammates have reliable snares against non-druids. ShoR and HotR as soon as you close to melee as they probably won't be in range long. Consecration is dangerous to spend mana on if you get CCed much, so use it sparingly. Holy Shield is only worth keeping up if you're facing melee, otherwise switch librams so you don't have to use it to get your SBV buff. Save AS for when the silence in a CC chain will make a kill.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby enbee » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:47 am

The seal of vengeance libram is the better option, even if you keep holy shield up 100% and have the holy shield libram.

Buffing all your damage considerably > buffing shieldslam even more considerably.
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Re: [Prot PVP] Damage

Postby Extermi » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:05 am

enbee wrote:Hey
As for your spec/glyphs, I'd definatly get reckoning(full), drop vindication, get more into conviction, the point in SA is also not needed. Glyphs look fine, only difference with mine is SoV glyph, while I took Shor glyph (puts it down to 26 mana), it's nice on occasion when you get cc'd till DP runs out or you forget to use it early on, that one is a matter of preference though.

I would not totally agree here, actually I previously used the spec you outlined but spent my points a little different after some experiences. Its down to choices, after all ...

In 3vs3s, and on BGs, you more often have a healer and being more reliably on full mana even when frequently CCed is a strong argument for at least a single point in SA - Reckoning works fine with only 4 points.

As for Vindication, we found that strong melee teams are a weakness in our setup so having an extra, automatically applied debuff that reduces this threat to our team can be worth more than 2% crit that only helps my personal DPS (and these are weakly spent points, compared with e.g. combat expertise where you get 2% crit + exp + sta per talent point).

Edit: I did some simple math, the 2 talent points spent for 2% crit would be equivalent to 100 crit rating (or 5 epic gems), while the AP debuff would be 570 AP or ~14 epic gems for the opponent - and it can debuff more than one. So against melee, a clear win (and in 3s, at least one melee is there most of the time).

Also, I found it personally useful to use block value heavy gear in at least a few slots to get close to the cap (~2700), and use the 2pc T9 tank bonus (+5% HotR damage).

Extermi
Extermi

Re: [Prot PVP] Damage

Postby Eaglestrike » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:09 am

Extermi wrote:
enbee wrote:Hey

I would not totally agree here, actually I previously used the spec you outlined but spent my points a little different after some experiences. Its down to choices, after all ...

In 3vs3s, and on BGs, you more often have a healer and being more reliably on full mana even when frequently CCed is a strong argument for at least a single point in SA - Reckoning works fine with only 4 points.

As for Vindication, we found that strong melee teams are a weakness in our setup so having an extra, automatically applied debuff that reduces this threat to our team can be worth more than 2% crit that only helps my personal DPS (and these are weakly spent points, compared with e.g. combat expertise where you get 2% crit + exp + sta per talent point).

Edit: I did some simple math, the 2 talent points spent for 2% crit would be equivalent to 100 crit rating (or 5 epic gems), while the AP debuff would be 570 AP or ~14 epic gems for the opponent - and it can debuff more than one. So against melee, a clear win (and in 3s, at least one melee is there most of the time).

Also, I found it personally useful to use block value heavy gear in at least a few slots to get close to the cap (~2700), and use the 2pc T9 tank bonus (+5% HotR damage).

Extermi

While against melee teams vindication is > 2 points in conviction, there are plenty of warlock/ele shaman/mages in arena that could care less about vindication. And mage/warlock teams have a tendency to destroy my comp (prot/arms/resto druid) and also since I run with a warrior, he has the vindication debuff.

I scrap points with ardent defender and go all 5 for reckoning, every bit of extra damage is crucial and with almost no defense gear ardent defender is pretty much just a cheat death and nothing more, so it doesn't need full points.

I would support 1 point in SA, ESPECIALLY if you're going into 2's at all with a healer, otherwise you'll be even more oom than I was against mage/priest (fuck that comp, srsly) the only ability that really requires mana is AS, so SA can usually keep you running with HotR/ShotR/Judge when you get really low.

And blessing of sanc > kings, you trade 10% agi/int for 3% damage reduction and mana return on blocks, considering you will only have 110-120ish agi, it's 3% damage reduction vs 11-12 agi (.22%~ or so crit) which is a pretty easy choice.
Eaglestrike

Postby towelliee » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:57 am

I haven't changed anything from my first post but I started 3's for first time tonight. Went 12-3 which wasn't bad.
Hunter/Resto Druid/Prot Ret

I noticed I do go oom a bit, and that can be strictly due to me not keeping Divine Plea up half the time. I am a clicker and just now got the Logitech gamepad made my macroing and key binding so much easier. I feel its hard sometimes to do both dmg and to cleanse and BOP and Freedom. It's a lot to take in at once but I'm getting used to it.

And eff any team with a mage!
towelliee

Postby Elsie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:06 pm

Actually, vindication is still pretty handy against warlock/shaman/mage since it might stop an important Devour from a fel hunter. Though if they're any good and destro they will be using that incredibly OP succubus. I hate that thing. Though this argument only supports 1/2 vindication, at that point you might as well get 2/2 for the melee.
Elsie

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes